BJJ Half Truths

Seems like a bad nervous -- the fear of disappointing others.

I think most people are more nervous about disappointing others than disappointing themselves. So that's pretty normal.

The way I try to lessen it with guys I coach is I tell them to put it all on me. I am the coach, I helped you prepare, I told you what you needed to do. You did all of that. You kept your end of the bargain. So if it doesn't work, it's on me for faulty preparation, not you.

It seems to help with the anxiety. I stress that during competition preparation too. This is the system we are going to use, we are using it for such and such reasons, just follow it, and if it doesn't work, it's my fault for telling you to do it. That way the competitor can minimize the number of things he has to worry about and just focus intensely on the few things only he can execute. Leave everything else to me.

A lot of people competing, even sometimes at surprisingly high levels, are basically doing it all on their own, so just having an actual coach step in there to take responsibility for some of the stuff seems to give a big mental edge at your typical BJJ comp.

I don't train solely to compete, but I try to "test myself" in comp at least once a year. I have done about five comps altogether. Won everyone as a white belt, one silver as a blue belt and won gold as a blue belt (avenging the loss to the guy who beat me for the gold in the previous tournament). 75% of my wins were via sub all total. Even then I still get that feeling "I'm not good enough and will make my crew look bad" even though I never have.

Any tips for getting over that? Or is it just going to be a mental thing only I can move myself past? I'm a super heavyweight blue belt and constantly think "I"m only winning based on my size".

So like instead of worrying "Is my cardio good enough?" I just tell them well, you know you did enough cardio when we prepared. I've checked it out, and that's all you need. So you're good.

Same thing with like "Is my game sharp enough?" You know we came up with a gameplan together, you showed up to all the practices, you did all the reps. It's sharp enough.

That way the only thing the guy needs to worry about is how he executes in the match. All the preparation worries I try to put on myself.

I don't train solely to compete, but I try to "test myself" in comp at least once a year. I have done about five comps altogether. Won everyone as a white belt, one silver as a blue belt and won gold as a blue belt (avenging the loss to the guy who beat me for the gold in the previous tournament). 75% of my wins were via sub all total. Even then I still get that feeling "I'm not good enough and will make my crew look bad" even though I never have.

Any tips for getting over that? Or is it just going to be a mental thing only I can move myself past? I'm a super heavyweight blue belt and constantly think "I"m only winning based on my size".

Have you talked to your coach about this? That's where I would start. He is probably super proud of you and will reassure you that you're not making him look bad at all. It's important to hear that from time to time.

Have you talked to your coach about this? That's where I would start. He is probably super proud of you and will reassure you that you're not making him look bad at all. It's important to hear that from time to time.

Hmmm this will probably sound bad but my instructor doesn't care if we compete and I normally do so on my own accord and don't really talk to him about it. He is one of the "I don't care how many subs you get. I care how well you understand the art". He has competed in pro MMA but doesn't care if we compete or not (IE It's very unimportant to him).

My white belt comps were at an MMA club where there was no real coach.

EDIT
But you're right, its a convo best had with an instructor one on one. Just trying to make conversation :)

I think you're still missing their point. Having a healthy ego isn't about never working on new stuff, or playing bad positions, it's about not being content with getting beaten even in rolling at your gym. So you playing guard when it's not what you're best at isn't wrong, it's only wrong if you say to yourself 'I'm not that good at guard so I'm not going to try and use my guard to dominate this roll, and I'm not going to be unsatisfied if my guard gets passed'. The other side of it focusing on continual improvement and not being satisfied with not getting better. That's where a lot of the focus on your A game comes from, you will eventually reach a point where playing a lot of different positions won't help you get better results and you'll have to invest your limited mat time in your main game to keep leveling up. It's not about winning gym rolls, it's about not being satisfied with poor performance because your ego tells you you should be better than that. I don't go cry in the corner when my coach passes my guard, but him passing my guard the same way over and over was a huge driver for making my guard better because I HATE getting my guard passed. If I'd said 'I need to check my ego and accept that my former Pan Am champion coach is going to pass my guard' it would have been much less of a driver for improvement. Positive ego isn't about appearances, it's not about being butt hurt that you got tapped by a blue belt, it's about recognizing that getting tapped by a blue belt means you weren't doing something right and feeling you should be better than that, driving you to improve. And a big part of improvement is just trying to win, having the will to dominate. And that is something you have to practice, and should, even though there's an element of ego to it.

IMO, "checking ego" should really mean one thing: submitting someone doesn't mean you're more of a man and being submitted doesn't make you less so. This has nothing to do with being competitive and doing your best.

Most people give their best and are competitive when playing other sports: basketball, tennis, football, pool, golf, whatever. Win or lose, its no big deal. Most people shake hands and lose no sleep over it. BJJ is a little different - there is this notion that if you tap, your life was in someone else's hands. There is a much stronger, visceral sense of being dominated and beat up. Your self worth diminishes a little. To me, checking your ego means training your mind out of this reduced self worth fallacy. It has nothing to do with being competitive or hard rolls.

You can have an ego problem and not roll hard or competitively - Those who coach during rolls, those who avoid rolling, those who say let's roll light...are all people who have ego problems but instead of rolling hard, they're more passive about tap avoidance and diminishing their self worth. Others, of course, roll super hard and never expand their games for tap avoidance and diminishing their self worth. Both are bad.

Ironically, when I tap someone, I never think or feel I'm superior, nor does my self worth increase or anything. I'm just happy I solved a difficult problem, so to speak, and overcame a really tough challenge. My respect for my training partner/competitor does not diminish one bit. And quite often, I'll submit a lower belt and think, "holy hell that was too much work - this kid's going to be a problem in a year or two!" I would guess most of you feel the same.

So let's not confuse ego with competitiveness. Nobody should be OK with losing - that's also a sign of diminished self worth. Everyone should be willing to give their all and expect everyone's all in return. Tap avoidance behavior = bad, regardless of how its expressed. Pure competitiveness, good.

Last edited:
"Bjj makes you a better person".

Not all the time?

My pet peeve is the guy who tells you immediately before rolling the first time ever that he doesn't really know what he's doing.

If he's a white belt, okay. If he's a blue belt or higher, now I just tell the guy "You know what, you're right. It would probably be better if you just watch and learn a little more first. Sit this one out."

Just sick of putting up with that one anymore.

You've had blue belts and higher say they don't know what they're doing before a roll?

A new one :Break the collar grip.

Against somebody with strong grips, no way. Especially from the bottom on the ground,. but even stand-up it can be hard.

On top, you don't even have to break the grips many times. Instead you can get into a position where the grips are useless.

Drilling is overrated and ineffective and doesn't get you ready for live

What you just said is exactly what I am talking about. Spending your practice not going to your A game, not concerned about winning rolls, this is how you kill a competitive mindset. You have to practice winning; it doesnt just show up on game day.

So if you wanted to add a position, e.g. spider guard.

How would you go about adding it to your game while keeping a competitive mindset?

You've had blue belts and higher say they don't know what they're doing before a roll?

Yeah. Weirdly enough it's kind of common.

It's a cheap way of protecting ego by talking yourself down a ridiculous amount right before a roll. That way if you lose, it was expected. And if you win, wow what an incredible feat.

It's a close cousin to the "I'm really injured today" guy right before we roll. If we've trained a lot before and have a close relationship, it's a different story. But anyone new coming in and giving me that line -- I'm not buying it.

I now just say "Yeah, sounds like a bad injury. It's better to rest it. Sit this one out."

If a new guy comes in and just wants to roll normally without elaborate excuses and backstories, I'm down. Otherwise pass.

Yeah. Weirdly enough it's kind of common.

It's a cheap way of protecting ego by talking yourself down a ridiculous amount right before a roll. That way if you lose, it was expected. And if you win, wow what an incredible feat.

It's a close cousin to the "I'm really injured today" guy right before we roll. If we've trained a lot before and have a close relationship, it's a different story. But anyone new coming in and giving me that line -- I'm not buying it.

I now just say "Yeah, sounds like a bad injury. It's better to rest it. Sit this one out."

If a new guy comes in and just wants to roll normally without elaborate excuses and backstories, I'm down. Otherwise pass.
It's funny, when I've held on to long fighting arm subs like kimura or arm bars and have to shake my arm out. People are always surprised I don't milk it or just say it was my fault and keep going. Because they expect what you're talking about

So if you wanted to add a position, e.g. spider guard.

How would you go about adding it to your game while keeping a competitive mindset?
80/20. You spend 80% of your time doing what you do, you spend 20% of your time building or strengthening things you want to work on. If in practice, you arent having to go to you A game most of the time to win, your training partners really arent that good. Sorry to say, but if you can just stroll through practice working on stuff and not have to worry about getting your ass kicked, the level is already pretty low, or you are avoiding tough rolls. Either way, it isnt the most effective method of training.

80/20. You spend 80% of your time doing what you do, you spend 20% of your time building or strengthening things you want to work on. If in practice, you arent having to go to you A game most of the time to win, your training partners really arent that good. Sorry to say, but if you can just stroll through practice working on stuff and not have to worry about getting your ass kicked, the level is already pretty low, or you are avoiding tough rolls. Either way, it isnt the most effective method of training.

this is true in every sport, esp in combat sports; an applies to people who don't compete as well, your pov is a great way to improve..develop.

There is a guy like that at my gym, he constantly complains about being injured even when drilling! He's over 50 and makes sure everybody knows it, yet is really spazzy and aggressive and comes to the competition class. He also coaches me through moves despite also being a white belt.

I think the most annoying thing about BJJ is that beginners are of shape, over aggressive and spazzy and the experienced guys are too passive. It makes it hard to compete against aggressive people that also have some experience and athleticism ...

Last edited:
There is a guy like that at my gym, he constantly complains about being injured even when drilling! He's over 50 and makes sure everybody knows it, yet is really spazzy and aggressive and comes to the competition class. He also coaches me through moves despite also being a white belt.

Yeah these dudes are everywhere.

They also seem disproportionately common among new visitors. I have a theory it's because these guys are constantly looking for new gyms because nobody can stand them at their old gyms either.

What you just said is exactly what I am talking about. Spending your practice not going to your A game, not concerned about winning rolls, this is how you kill a competitive mindset. You have to practice winning; it doesnt just show up on game day.

We had a guest blue belt show up to our gym 1 day, quite a high level blue. He began only sparring white belts and some of the lower blues. Injured 3 people and after the 3rd the coach put him against one of the higher level browns and he got annihilated. He spars to win. Doubt he learned a single thing at our gym that day.

We had a guest blue belt show up to our gym 1 day, quite a high level blue. He began only sparring white belts and some of the lower blues. Injured 3 people and after the 3rd the coach put him against one of the higher level browns and he got annihilated. He spars to win. Doubt he learned a single thing at our gym that day.
Why didnt the white belts check their ego at the door and tap early to avoid getting hurt?

Back