BJJ Gyms in Kansas City, KS

MMABullrider

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm considering a new job in the Kansas City, KS metro area. I roll BJJ 4-5days a week, usually twice a day, plus kickboxing/Muay Thai 4 classes a week.

Are there any good BJJ/MMA gyms in the KC area? Preferably on the Kansas side?

I used to say there were none, but I stand/stood corrected by BSFT:
Kansas City Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

It's just north of the river, so it wouldn't be TOO much of a drive, assuming you miss the rush hour crap around the bridges.

i don't know much about KCK area stuff, but there are a couple out in Overland Park that are alright, there is a couple of AJJ places. as far as the BJJ, come check out KCBJJ/Adrenaline MMA. it's in north kansas city, not too far at all from downtown KCK.

Blue Springs JJ #(816)224-2822 Instructor Wayne Marble is a 4th Degree Black Belt in Shingitai Jujitsu & a blue belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares. Also another one of their instructors is Chris Handy & he is a 1st degree Black Belt in Shingitai Jujitsu & a Purple Belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares.

There are multiple American JJ schools around the Kansas City, MO & KS area. Some of their instructors include Steven A. Crawford who is the head instructor @ a AJJ in Overland Park, KS is a 7th Degree Black Belt in Shorinji Ryu JJ. Also Brad Jones is the head instructor at the other AJJ school in Overland Park, KS & he is a 5th Degree Black Belt in AJJ under Steve Crawford but from what it says on his site, training with him is by invitation only.

A little tidbit, my friend actually trains at AJJ in Overland Park, KS with Steve Crawford. I've met him & some of the fighters there & they all seem to be very cool & respectful. They have a decent size mat for rolling & 2 little cages.
American Jujitsu / Home

And then there is Kansas City BJJ #(816)914-6527. They probably have the best instruction in the Kansas City area in my opinion. Their head instructor is Jason Bircher & he is a Black Belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares. I can't speak from my own experience but only their credentials, they are unmatched in the Kansas City Metro Area. They apparently have a warehouse size training facility with a huge mat, MMA cage & lots of equipment.
Kansas City Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I hope that helps, good luck with your search.

Good Luck with your search & I hope that helps.

Jason Bircher is very very good. I have rolled with him a couple of times and train with some guys that know him very well and they all agree he is top notch. Go there if it is an option.

KCBJJ is really your only option. It's sad that KC is such a big area and has such a lack of quality options.

Does anyone know anything about Ground Control in Grandview? I grew up in Lee's Summit (after moving there from Emporia and Salina as a kid).

John Rallo's primary school is ironically here in Baltimore where I live now. He is a Renzo Gracie black belt.

Man, I miss KC, coming back for some diet-cheating Jack Stacks and Gates' BBQ in June :D

I'm from KC, but I now live in Vegas. If you want to the best competition and instruction then go to KCBJJ--it is well worth it. Jason is a very good instructor, explains detail well, and has a nasty guillotine.

If he had my hair he would be the complete package.

KCBJJ is an outstanding school

Welcome Mat North is another option if you like GI only. Although not BJJ they are more than just judo

Home

KCBJJ is your best option. I've known Jason for several years now and have always been impressed by him and his instruction.

kcbjj just opened a new school in mission if youre still moving to the area or here. bircher is the top in kc.

What is it like out there in Kansas City now? I am moving from Colorado Springs and I'm looking for roommates/info on training.

Well, Jason High and LC Davis opened a mma gym.

That's pretty much the only new thing in regards to training.

I've heard good things about KCBJJ.

I like John Brown's school (Fight University, and I think it may have another name like Revolution or something) in Leawood as well. It's a super friendly place, but the dude knows his stuff and has some bastardly conditioning classes.

On the Missouri side I've heard awesome things about K2L Grindhouse (Lee's Summit)

Edit: I didn't realize this was an old thread.

Back