BJJ: Gym costs

The Half Blood Prince

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering how much u guys pay for your bjj gym. If you could maybe say what gym it is and in what currency cause I use AUD

Intresting thing, gsp and Ngonnou asked their martial arts gym to train for free because they were poor and couldnt afford it as much. At the moment i'm not training at the place i was traing as cause i cant afford it so. I have a few amount of money left so i was gonna go to this bjj place which charges the lowest amount of fees in melbourne apparently. I hope its enough to get by

The rates throughout the United States are very different. I currently live in New York and you can't find a gym in this city that is less than $200 per month.

When I lived in Florida, the Alliance academy in my city was $120 per month and there was a black belt that taught at his own small academy and charged $60 per month (he still does private lessons for $20 per hour).

I have no idea how it is in Australia, but, in most of the United States that I've seen (not NYC), judo is much cheaper than BJJ.

The rates throughout the United States are very different. I currently live in New York and you can't find a gym in this city that is less than $200 per month.

When I lived in Florida, the Alliance academy in my city was $120 per month and there was a black belt that taught at his own small academy and charged $60 per month (he still does private lessons for $20 per hour).

I have no idea how it is in Australia, but, in most of the United States that I've seen (not NYC), judo is much cheaper than BJJ.
I know at the Gracie academy is charges $160USD a month which is so cheap considering your learnign directly from the source of where bjj was created and its a world renowed top bjj gym.
Theres a gracie jiu jitsu place in templstowe in victoria that costs $150AUD per two weeks unlimited classes, and one gracie jiu jitsu olace in bundoora thats costs $75AUD per two weeks
The good thing is they give you like 10 or 20 free lessons to start of

$20 per week no contract.

$15 per week if you are a police officer.

It is in nz dollards

I teach in exchange for training so ... $0 :)

But FWIW
  • At my judo club, it's $100/month AUD for unlimited (6 classes a week)
  • At bjj club, I think it's $120/month AUD for 3 classes a week (includes use of gym and open mat IIRC).
Highest cost I'm aware of locally (for BJJ) is around $200/month @ AMMA.

I'm currently paying $255 per month. But I live in NYC, so...

i pay 115 CAD for karate and jiu jitsu

I pay 200 USD at my gym. I have both of my children in the gym and help teach the kids class when I'm in town and available.

I have rates I offer currently from $65-$105 as I'm starting out.

i charge just 60 for 3 days a week but also cause i have free rent and dont have to payany bills or id be charging around 130 a month

I know at the Gracie academy is charges $160USD a month which is so cheap considering your learnign directly from the source of where bjj was created and its a world renowed top bjj gym.
Theres a gracie jiu jitsu place in templstowe in victoria that costs $150AUD per two weeks unlimited classes, and one gracie jiu jitsu olace in bundoora thats costs $75AUD per two weeks
The good thing is they give you like 10 or 20 free lessons to start of

I think that might only be for training 8 times per month. I doubt that is the price for training unlimited times per month.

Where I am currently in Western MD is $75 a month for BJJ. The Carlson Gracie gym I started at in Lexington KY was about $100 for a gym with about 6 black belts including the 3-stripe instructor.
Yalls prices are making me realize just how lucky I've been with gym affordability.

I pay 200 USD at my gym. I have both of my children in the gym and help teach the kids class when I'm in town and available.

Wuuut.

How much if you don't teach the kids class?

Wuuut.

How much if you don't teach the kids class?
I am not there every class and it's not part of the deal. I added that because that's what I pay. I didn't mean to say I had some type of discount because I help every once in while.

I'm jealous. What's Marcelo like as a professor? How many classes does he teach?
I'm lucky to be able to train there. NYC sucks in many ways, but for this type of thing it's great to be here. He usually teaches a couple of times per week. Also the other instructors there are fantastic, and there are always lots of high level people to train with.

Back