BJJ compared to Luta Livre / video series

Yes because the founder of the style , Mestre Tatu, was taught and managed by a Judoka as well named Loanzi who was a student of Maeda. Tatu passed the style down to father and son Fausto and Carlos Brunocilla. Carlos introduced the gi pants and belt system. Belts go white yellow orange blue purple brown black.

Interesting, I had no idea. Would you say belt progression In LL is similar to BJJ time wise? With the BB being the endgame. Whereas in Judo (speaking of Japanese Judo) the 1st dan is really just the beginning of mastery.

Interesting, I had no idea. Would you say belt progression In LL is similar to BJJ time wise? With the BB being the endgame. Whereas in Judo (speaking of Japanese Judo) the 1st dan is really just the beginning of mastery.

It is, Ll takes even more pride on their black belts than bjj.

Yeah similar time frame for progression between belts. Although there are more belts than bjj does not mean you progress through quicker like TMA. Most bb have been doing it for years.

Fantastic thread. I've been interested in LL for awhile and have been seeing plenty of instructionals on youtube.

This isn't 2001 this whole "different" method doesn't work anymore unless you destroy competition with something revolutionary.

We don't usually wear belts at my school except for when we first get them. Our coach makes us work damn hard for them though. He doesn't just hand them out to anybody.

i am graded in both luta livre and BJJ, have trained both in brazil since 2009. My instructor is Milton Vieira and was also Eraldo Paes (RIP) before he passed away. This is JOP lineage

To me the differences are now minimal, there's been so much crossover since the Luta livre influx into MMA gyms of the 80s and 90s. However "in general" LL attitude is more of an MMA grappling style, less guard, more standing up and wrestling for top position than BJJ. However, having said this I think there can be bigger differences between 2 people in LL, or 2 people in BJJ, than between LL and BJJ as a whole. The individuals make the style

Nicolas Renier. His coaches Pequeno and Leozada are some of my favourite grapplers. Also check out the old cacareco vs filho match for good comp footage of the style differences. It was ruled a draw but cacareco clearly won.
I'm a big fan too of Renier and Leozada.

Have you seen Renier's floating guard passing? I'm sure you know what I mean but it's kind of hard to describe. He used it very well at ADCC 2013 and it seems to be his main passing style. I like it a lot. Ostap broke it down a bit

Actually the best leglockers in the world are by far now Bjj practitioners...Ll has to evolve and forget about ridiculous myths they have and new ones they’ve created, hearing Nicolas Reiner say that ll doesn’t use the sit belt because it requires strength is quite silly and offensive, you don’t need much grappling experience to realize That is complete bullshit.

Wait, Renier doesn't use the seat belt? What does he use instead?

Nvmnd. I saw the video. I like that style too. I didn't know it was more of a LL thing.

Without a doubt when it comes to leg locks. At this point I don't think it's close.

Last edited:
See, I would contend right now that less BJJ guys are going for the Marcelotine here in 2018. Garry Tonon is the main grappler today I see going for the high elbow like Marcelo. I see most BJJ guys that are high level guillotiners or have been in the past few years going for the arm-in (Josh Hinger, Gordon Ryan, Felipe Pena, Rafael Lovato Jr, Braulio Estima, Dillon Danis, Jeff Glover, etc.)

I'm trying to think of some if the active guys on the circuit right now that prefer high elbows, and Tonon is the main one that comes to mind.

Well, alot of gyms are though.

And lots are not, so making a generalizaion of the sport because a branch of it chooses to practice based on ibjjf rules is wrong. Lots of Bjj gyms are closely related to Mma gyms, do you think people there don’t reap because carlos junior says it’s ilegal? It’s quite silly.

And lots are not, so making a generalizaion of the sport because a branch of it chooses to practice based on ibjjf rules is wrong. Lots of Bjj gyms are closely related to Mma gyms, do you think people there don’t reap because carlos junior says it’s ilegal? It’s quite silly.
Are IBJJF rules not the MAIN way to compete in BJJ? I acknowledge that there are bjj gyms that reap, but you can't ignore that the majority of sport BJJ gyms train for IBJJF rules. So excuse the guy for showing some differences lol

I'm a big fan too of Renier and Leozada.

Have you seen Renier's floating guard passing? I'm sure you know what I mean but it's kind of hard to describe. He used it very well at ADCC 2013 and it seems to be his main passing style. I like it a lot. Ostap broke it down a bit

Yep I use that pass a bit but not a successfully

See, I would contend right now that less BJJ guys are going for the Marcelotine here in 2018. Garry Tonon is the main grappler today I see going for the high elbow like Marcelo. I see most BJJ guys that are high level guillotiners or have been in the past few years going for the arm-in (Josh Hinger, Gordon Ryan, Felipe Pena, Rafael Lovato Jr, Braulio Estima, Dillon Danis, Jeff Glover, etc.)

I'm trying to think of some if the active guys on the circuit right now that prefer high elbows, and Tonon is the main one that comes to mind.

I only ever go for the high elbow

Are IBJJF rules not the MAIN way to compete in BJJ? I acknowledge that there are bjj gyms that reap, but you can't ignore that the majority of sport BJJ gyms train for IBJJF rules. So excuse the guy for showing some differences lol

It’s a difference between ibjjf rules and LL, not jiu jitsu...

Why would you chose a arm in over a high elbow? Control?

Back