BJJ Chicago: Valko vs Team Redzovic

Ha, the current viewers of this thread are "Aesopian, valkobjj, AdemRedzovic"

Don't know Redzovic though I've heard good thing, but I've known Jay almost my entire life and we both ended up at the same instructor by chance (or by him being the best BJJ teacher in the same town). Jay is a great instructor and I always hear good things about his school.

I am sure both schools are good. But imo, if you are serious about it, you should stop by and tryout their classes first and make up your mind. Obviously, chances are, you won't get an unbiased opinion in a public forum. Also, people travel further for good instruction. So, again, depending on your goals, you should check out other schools as well. Good luck.

Thanks for your interest, come try some classes and see how you like it, your in a good position because you cant go wrong with ours or Jay's school, peace!

Thanks for taking the time to answer the thread personally :). I will definitely try a class when I'm up there.

Will you have a car?

I will have a car but I don't like the idea of driving during rush hour traffic to BJJ class. The traffic where I live is horrid and if I am driving from downtown to my BJJ school, it would take 2 hours on a normally 30 min trip. I am guessing this is true of all major cities.

I dropped in at Valko BJJ when I was in Chicago on vacation and had a great time. The head instructor (Jay?) was out of town, but the brown belt who taught was very good and the students were tough. Even got to roll with a former pro offensive lineman on his first day there (spoiler alert - he was strong as @#$*). Great atmosphere and shares space with a gym, so there are plenty of amenities (showers, lockers, etc.).

That said, you really need to check them both out and decide for yourself.

To muddy the waters a little, you may also want to look at Israel Reyes at Movimiento.

I've rolled with Jay and can highly recommend him. I've never met Adem but I believe he may have been the first Barra affiliate in the US. I think that speaks volumes. Visit both and see where you fit in best.

I've only trained at Team Redzovic at the loop but I have nothing but praise for the guys there. Great friendly atmosphere, tough guys, professional facilities and technical instruction. One of my favourite places to train.

Damn Adem it's been 15 yrs? I remember when your place was across the street. Time sure fly's!

My wife is from the neighborhood. Been in the area since 97. I'm a Brown belt @ New Breed.

No prob bro. Would you mind removing that comment? It gives people the wrong impression of what we spent the last 15 years building

Done and done, my brother said you are a good guy and you run a great school. Again my apologies, my intent wasn't to offend and I'm not anti-muslim.

To muddy the waters a little, you may also want to look at Israel Reyes at Movimiento.

Created an account just to post this reply. I've been training with Prof. Reyes for about a month and a half and if you're looking for a "chill" but completely instructive and very rewarding bjj experience I would say to try him out. The classes are intense as Prof. Reyes focuses on conditioning and rolling but he teaches and encourages in a very supportive way.

His gym is close to the blue line and about a 10/15 minute bike ride from the Loop.

Hey All,

I will be moving to Chicago for graduate school in September and based on some research, I have narrowed it down to two schools: Valko BJJ and Team Redzovic (I will be living in the Loop Area and these two schools were the most accessible).

Anyone here know anything about these two schools and would recommend them? I have been doing BJJ for about 8 months (intermediate white belt) and have been hooked ever since. I am mainly looking for a school with a good and chill atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Team Redzovic seems to be affiliated with Gracie Barra. Does anyone know if they require you to wear their gis?

As of June 2018 Yes they are affiliated with Garcie Barra. Gis with the teams logo are required. It’s around 150 a month for a year long contract plus an additional 150 sign up fee along with a 130 purchase of a team redzovic Gi. It’s a clean place with a nice people but just wasn’t the right fit for me. Valko has much more flexible payment options and doesn’t lock you into a contract. Its easier on my budget.

I trained at Valko's many years ago when I was interning downtown. It was a great school. I liked the vibe, the guys were tough but safe, and I felt very welcome from the first day.

Back