BJJ Chicago: Valko vs Team Redzovic

SakurabaFan

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

I will be moving to Chicago for graduate school in September and based on some research, I have narrowed it down to two schools: Valko BJJ and Team Redzovic (I will be living in the Loop Area and these two schools were the most accessible).

Anyone here know anything about these two schools and would recommend them? I have been doing BJJ for about 8 months (intermediate white belt) and have been hooked ever since. I am mainly looking for a school with a good and chill atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Team Redzovic seems to be affiliated with Gracie Barra. Does anyone know if they require you to wear their gis?

Jay is a really nice guy, and I would recommend him to anyone. Instruction is solid, and he has some good dudes to roll with.

I've heard good things about both of those places. However, Istrongly suggest checking out Comprido's place. I may be somewhat biased though

I've heard good things about both of those places. However, Istrongly suggest checking out Comprido's place. I may be somewhat biased though

Comprido is in the burbs, man. Dude lives in the loop. That is a ridiculous amount of travel. And this is coming from a Brasa guy.

Redzo are not affiliated with GB anymore. They are a stand Alone club.

Looked up Comprido's place and it seems a bit too far for me :icon_sad:. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Jay is a really nice guy, and I would recommend him to anyone. Instruction is solid, and he has some good dudes to roll with.

Awesome, thanks for the info man. Are you familiar with Redzovic and the school's atmosphere? Are they chill, competition heavy, and etc.?

I've been training at Valko's for about a year and a half and I can't say enough good things about my experience. The prices are incredibly reasonable and posted on the website. Monthly fees include boxing classes taught by golden gloves champions, wrestling taught by div 1 All Americans, and Olympic judoka dropping in to teach on a fairly regular basis. The facilities are great as it's housed in a private personal training gym, this means fresh towels and very clean locker room and showers. The team ranges from cops, to university professors, to finance guys. No meat heads but plenty of intensity. Jay Valko personally teaches 80-90% of the classes and the others are taught by his black and brown belts. I'd recommend trying out both schools and seeing which one is a better fit. I tried both Redzovic and Valko and decided Valko BJJ was a better fit but I wouldn't have known that without experiencing them first hand. I know that Jay let's people try a few classes for free for this very reason. Any specific questions I can answer?

Awesome, thanks for the info man. Are you familiar with Redzovic and the school's atmosphere? Are they chill, competition heavy, and etc.?

I never went there when I lived in Chicago, so I can't tell you. Most of these places will let you stop in at no cost the first time (I know Jay will). I suggest getting a feel for both and going from there.

OP, you can also stop by Valko's on Saturdays from 11:15-1:00 for the free open mat.

Last edited:
I would recommend Team Redzovic. It is a relaxed and competitive atmosphere, full of great instructors. The big advantage is that they have 3 academies in Chicago, and you can train at whichever one you choose, meaning more variety. However, people tend to stick around their "home" academy, and hop around from here to there, so you will definitely have a sense of a home community, but with more training partner options in the long run.

I came up with them since about 2004, and Adem really knows how to run a gym the right way. I watched them literally build and expand upon their academ(ies) over the years, and many of the people I started with are now brown and blackbelts. I no longer live in Chicago, but stay good friends with a lot of people from there. Good luck with your decision, and feel free to message me for questions.

OP do you have a car? And what part of the loop will you be living?

I went to Valko a few times when I was interning downtown, it was a great experience each time. Jay is a good teacher and an accomplished competitor, and he had a lot of guys on the mat some of whom were hardcore competitors and some just normal guys looking to train. The takedowns were good, they had one of the Cohen bros teaching Judo for a while which is a big deal if you know that family's place in American Judo. I can't speak to the other school, but Valko is both legit as a competitive school and full of really cool dudes. I recommend it.

Jay also posts on here sometimes, so check back.

With the way traffic has gotten, picking a school that is easiest to get to is a smart move.

Redzo are not affiliated with GB anymore. They are a stand Alone club.

I heard they run a legit school, and Adem is a knowledgeable and super cool guy.

Last edited:
I would recommend Team Redzovic. It is a relaxed and competitive atmosphere, full of great instructors. The big advantage is that they have 3 academies in Chicago, and you can train at whichever one you choose, meaning more variety. However, people tend to stick around their "home" academy, and hop around from here to there, so you will definitely have a sense of a home community, but with more training partner options in the long run.

I came up with them since about 2004, and Adem really knows how to run a gym the right way. I watched them literally build and expand upon their academ(ies) over the years, and many of the people I started with are now brown and blackbelts. I no longer live in Chicago, but stay good friends with a lot of people from there. Good luck with your decision, and feel free to message me for questions.

thanks for the kind words bro, whats your name?

Thanks for your interest, come try some classes and see how you like it, your in a good position because you cant go wrong with ours or Jay's school, peace!

Back