BJJ Camp: White to Blue belt in 3 months

Should people graduate high school all at different times individually?
Optimally, yes. Not all of us learn at the same rate. I graduated at 16, while my best friend graduated at 19. The public high school system in the US can't afford to pay their teachers reasonably, let alone manage the hassle of individual progression. It's like comparing private tutoring to group classes of 50+

Japan has bigger class sizes than the USA...I guess that's why American kids are so much smarter than Japanese kids.

3 months of BJJ training at 5 times a week to get his blue belt? It's not impossible but it can only be justified if the student is a prodigy.

Isn't that what schools do to move kids on to the next grade?

Should people graduate high school all at different times individually?

you do know what happens if you dont get enough credits... right?

Apparently you are not familiar with wrestlers. Many of them train 6-7 days a week with multiple sessions. I doubt you would find a respectable wrestling team that only trains 3 times a week, and only hard one time a week.

agreed but let's face it, the physical fitness components in wrestling are generally a lot more intense than the average BJJ class. I've done training with wrestling teams in my late 30's and the practices would last up to 3 hours and probably had about 20 minutes total when we weren't doing something because we were watching instruction or you were waiting your turn in a round robin/shark tank go around. The only "easy" class was the day before a meet. I'd go to BJJ class that was an hour and probably had around 20 to 30 minutes where we were sitting around watching technique, sitting around between rolls and what have you. Needless to say my physical fitness level was much better than the average person in the BJJ class. That is why as others have said anyone that goes and does this with a realistic mindset is going to have to be in decent shape to begin with.

This is a legit possibility if you are already well conditioned, if not you will most likely be dropping out due to injury and/or fatigue by not being up to the regimen. I'd say it would be a good thing for someone that is fairly young in good shape and has decided they want a career in BJJ/grappling/MMA.

3 months of BJJ training at 5 times a week to get his blue belt? It's not impossible but it can only be justified if the student is a prodigy.

I read the website and it sounds legit to me. You have to go to a set amount of classes every week, the instructor checks you in and evaluates you constantly. If you manage to get through those classes, after 3 months of hard training you get a blue belt. Its not a huge deal. We Americans make a big deal about it but to Brazilians its a “you aren’t an utter loss” belt. I asked Junior about it and he says the guy is legit. Got up to brown belt at the old carlson school. He started there as a kid and got his BB from BTT. The guys hes looking for aren’t going to be schlubs from the burbs. You have to move to Phuket for 3 months to do it.

And its not an 100% thing you get a blue belt from the dude. If you get hurt, miss too many classes, are a complete spaz,etc…

5 classes a week for 12 weeks is 60 classes. At 90 minutes a class that's 90 hours of BJJ.

If you are a natural athlete and are constantly rolling with people who are already blue belts, it is definitely possible.

Very few people can put in that much amount of time in that short period though. But its possible.

It takes some people 10 years to achieve a black belt. BJ Penn was a world champion black belt in 3. Because all he did everyday was jiu jitsu.

If you really follow that schedule, sure you CAN get a blue in 3 months. Thats a pretty intense schedule and if you CAN stay on that for 3 consecutive months you can get there. Not everyone can but some folks for sure and I dont mean prodigies only.

Thinking about my own martial arts training, ive had different periods where I have had time to train intensely (for me) and I made big big leaps each time.

I think the overall class hours is a better marker for progress than calendar time. For example, I've been training for about 2 years. The start of which was just any drop-in or seminar I could find. It wasn't till a little less than a year, I was able to get a regular club and roll-n-drill consistently each week. My two years of training look like about 6 months to someone who is able to train consistently 3+ times a week.

I've also noticed that a lot of schools fail to provide curriculum. With literally thousands of techniques and transitions, a structured approach that builds on a core would be highly advantageous instead of a scatter gun approach where you learn whatever random technique is being taught in the class you're attending.

I often wonder if rank isn't frequently awarded based on the perception of someone putting in the calendar time over their personal achievement. I think a training log would be useful. As a pilot, I'm graded much more on hours flown than how many years I've had my certificate. I think a similar process would apply here.

Japan has bigger class sizes than the USA...I guess that's why American kids are so much smarter than Japanese kids.
You're comparing entire countries. I can name hundreds of high schools in the US which are larger than hundreds in Japan. I can also list high schools in Hicksville, Oklahoma with classes of 15 students or less per teacher. The average high school equivalent class in Okinawa is smaller than the average high school class in most of Los Angeles. Try a more reasonable comparison which can be backed.

The issue I have is this: you can learn the techniques and have all the information in your head, but it takes a long time on the mat to really learn to put them into practice. It took me 1.5 years to get to blue, at about 7 1/2 hours a week in the gym, but that doesn't count the endless hours I drilled outside of the gym. My son trains with me, and is bigger and faster than I am, so I have a great training partner outside of the gym, and even then I had enough techniques for blue, but it took a long time to properly use them. Even though it took me 1.5 years, it was another year before I felt like I was really good at using them.

The issue I have is this: you can learn the techniques and have all the information in your head, but it takes a long time on the mat to really learn to put them into practice. It took me 1.5 years to get to blue, at about 7 1/2 hours a week in the gym, but that doesn't count the endless hours I drilled outside of the gym. My son trains with me, and is bigger and faster than I am, so I have a great training partner outside of the gym, and even then I had enough techniques for blue, but it took a long time to properly use them. Even though it took me 1.5 years, it was another year before I felt like I was really good at using them.
Your personal experience is not necessarily the norm. Different people learn at different rates. Look at BJ Penn, for example. Or the one stripe white belt in my class who has been training 4-6 hours per week for 3 years.

Ha, Bullshit. I had a training partner who trained 7 days a week for 5 months straight (obviously he was in school) but he's CERTAINLY no blue belt. He learns fast and is very open-minded, but still. So bullshit to this training camp.

You gotta be kidding!

Apparently you are not familiar with wrestlers. Many of them train 6-7 days a week with multiple sessions. I doubt you would find a respectable wrestling team that only trains 3 times a week, and only hard one time a week.
Pay attention to what I said.

People train 3x a day - with 1 being hard, 1 medium and 1 light - all the dang time. It's pretty much the only way to get to the elite level. Multiply that by 5 or 6 for the full week and you get something like 50, 60 gym hours a week with quite a bit of that being drilling, sparring and getting stronger.

That sound an awful lot like the wrestling schedules you are apparently familiar with and I am not?

I think doing 2x hard sessions a day would lead to breakdowns over time (hard being max effort, trying to crush all opposition level training). Maybe Dirty Holt has a different view of it as he's probably the only one here who's gotten to the OTC and stayed there a while.

Back