BJJ Camp: White to Blue belt in 3 months

As someone who's been training for nearly 2 years without a single stripe this pisses me off.

Why would it piss you off?

Maybe you don't train everyday. Maybe your skills aren't good enough to be moved up in rank.

We had a big debate about it here as it's so close to home. I think they'll technically get out of awarding many as they have a maximum class missing time of only a few days. Injuries are common at white belt and I can see many not meeting the requirements necessary to get it. Doesn't mean they won't learn a lot, but I bet a fair amount leave without Blue or less than Blue level at other schools.

But for those coming in with base fitness levels or a few months at a regular gym....they might just come out beasts. Will see at next year's BKK Open :p

what time of year is the bangkok open? and is that thailands biggest tournament?

I could seeing this as being a good option for people from places where proper BJJ instruction is in short supply.

My city is one such place our brown belt instructor is soon relocating to japan, so we will be left with a fairly new purple.

There is another school (that mainly focuses on MMA) that trains gi jiujitsu but doesn't use the BJJ grading system (there instructor is a 2nd dan japanese jiujitsu,4 stripe BJJ purple belt and former MMA champ who hasnt trained under anyone else for years) as such the school has some great grapplers who look every bit BJJ practitioners but whom can not grade in BJJ and some tournaments will not allow them to compete.

i used to attend an open mat with guys from all diferent back grounds (including some really good guys national champ judo black belts,national champion FILA sub grapplers,wrestlers,BJJ blue and purple belts ,mma fighters) there were a couple of us that weren't so great but we rolled as much as we could and took technical direction from the better guys, for some one in a similar situation i think this could be a great idea go away improve your skills,with the chance that you may be rewarded with a grade for your dedication and skill level,obviously skills acquisition should always be the primary goal though.

Last edited:
i'm sure this would work out for someone who wrestled for a long time

that being said, this is how blue belts in brazil are handed out so i don't see the big deal with it

Dudes, blue belt isn't some elite level; it can be done in 3 months if you're dedicated.

i doubt a man could train for 6x a week for a year let alone 3. fatigue & injuries will be a factor. especially injuries.

I've trained for 20 hours a week, 6 days a week for the past 15 months (15 hours BJJ, 3 hours Judo, 2 hours wrestling). Before that I trained about 12 hours a week. Six classes a week is not that much; just because you couldn't hack it doesn't mean others can't.

I train 6x per week (often more) and it took about a year to get my blue belt, and I still felt like I was promoted too early. I'm not particularly athletic or coordinated, though.

It all depends on the athletic ability of the student. Theres people who it could take a week to learn a forward roll so its very hard to teach any techniques to people who dont have coordination and these kind of things takes longer to build up.

I don't know about this course but I agree with the comments about the rather random nature of BJJ training. When I trained Judo we had a structured beginners course for 6 weeks during which the same handful of moves were taught over and over. Once you'd got them sorted you moved to Intermediate. Here you got a much larger range of techniques but the classes (anything up to 2.5 hours long) always started with a core selection of techs drilled - this happened for as long as you were in intermediate - could be years. New techniques were added but not that quickly. The work was on getting better at using the ones you already learned. If you were a natural you quickly moved to a more advanced class so were not held back.

My little kids train at the same place and they do the same thing. They train for 4 hours a week and it's mostly drilling the same things over and over. The more experienced guys beat the new ones because they're doing the basics better.

We all know that drilling techniques well, paying attention to the details, over and over is the best way to commit them to memory yet the learning system does not support that. Makes no sense.

i doubt a man could train for 6x a week for a year let alone 3. fatigue & injuries will be a factor. especially injuries.

I routinely do 5-6 days a week, and I'm 36 years old and not even in great shape.

I dont think it matters that much the ammount of time, but the ammout of mat time... if you can get 126 hours of mat time in 3 month,I think its fine...

I've trained for 20 hours a week, 6 days a week for the past 15 months (15 hours BJJ, 3 hours Judo, 2 hours wrestling). Before that I trained about 12 hours a week. Six classes a week is not that much; just because you couldn't hack it doesn't mean others can't.

Get a job you god damn hippy.

I could definitely see blue belt in 3 months but would think that it would take more intense training volume than that in many cases. Something like 3 classes a day - 1.5 hours in the morning, and 2.5 hours in the evening (1 hour class + 1.5 hour class), training 6 days per week. So 4 hours per day, 6 days per week - accumulating about 24 hours of mat time per week, which works out to about 300 hours of mat time over 3 months.

Then again there are a lot of fast learners and very athletic dudes out there so maybe the camp would work for them. I know some freaky athletic young guys that could probably pull it off.

I see thats the minimum training requirements,but they actually offer training twice a day(including no-gi and wrestling) 6 days a week so those that commit to going to every possible session for the three months may actually come away solid blue belts.

And there it is. I bet the listed training is the "bare minimum" to not scare people away, and most of the guys will be hammering it at 20+ hours of mat time per week. Given most of them are probably going to be young and serious trainees...yeah, most likely quite legit. Kind of like the Lloyd Irvin medal chasers except for white belts hehe!

Last edited:
My road from white to blue almost lasted 3 years... 3 months seems ridiculous.

Attaching a strict time limit to a general group when skill level is based upon the individual is completely ridiculous and defies reason and logic.

I have been training 5x a week (sometimes more than once a day) for almost a year and I still suck and I train at an amazing school with great instructors. Something like this may work for some people but I doubt the majority.

I've only been training for 22 months now, but for the past 16 months, I've trained 6-8x week at a 42hr/month minimum. So I was just curious if more training in less time is equal to less training but over a longer period of time.

Attaching a strict time limit to a general group when skill level is based upon the individual is completely ridiculous and defies reason and logic.

Isn't that what schools do to move kids on to the next grade?

Should people graduate high school all at different times individually?

Back