Bjj Blackbelts: What age they started and received their belt

The Half Blood Prince

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to know what age bjj blackbelts started, at what age did they receive their bjj black belt and how long it took them

I think Ryron and Renner received their black belts at 18 and they had been doing since they could walk, Demaim Maia received his black belt after 4 years and had been training since 18
For the Melbournians, Carlos Vieira started at 13 and I think received his black belt at around 23. (Cant remember what he told me exactly)

Hey guys, just wanted to know what age bjj blackbelts started, at what age did they receive their bjj black belt and how long it took them

I think Ryron and Renner received their black belts at 18 and they had been doing since they could walk, Demaim Maia received his black belt after 4 years and had been training since 18
For the Melbournians, Carlos Vieira started at 13 and I think received his black belt at around 23. (Cant remember what he told me exactly)

Most people seem to take about 10 years, but serious competitors are much quicker. I guess it's hard not to promote someone when they are dominating their level of competition.
How old are you? I started at 15 and over 10 years later I am still a no stripe white belt:) Consistency gets you a black belt or comp results

17. I started when i was 16
Not doing bjj as much as i want because of vce (im in year 12)

That average start age going to be younger and younger

Started in my 30's. Its been 9 or so years and I have a solid 3 more to Black.

Started at 27 years old and got the black belt at almost exactly 7 years into training. I trained on average 4-6 times per week and competed frequently.

started 2015 at 44 yrs old. hopefully get my black in 2025 at 54. unless injury or paying for my kids college gets in the way.

Starting training at 25 Got my black belt at 32, 7 1/2 half years later.

Started wrestling at 13, had over 1000 competitive matches before I even started BJJ
Started BJJ at 23. Geared toward MMA.
Went full time BJJ at 32, training 10-12 times per week
Got black belt at 35, taking about 13 years.

I will totally admit, my first few coaches were stingy and sandbagged and I had wins over black belts even when I was a blue belt. I always felt bad about that but there was nothing I could do. With todays training and competition, there are blue belts now who would probably kick the shit out of many of the black belts in the northwest at the time.

Started wrestling at 13, had over 1000 competitive matches before I even started BJJ

I will totally admit, my first few coaches were stingy and sandbagged and I had wins over black belts even when I was a blue belt. I always felt bad about that but there was nothing I could do. With todays training and competition, there are blue belts now who would probably kick the shit out of many of the black belts in the northwest at the time.
Wait what? You had 1,000 comepetetive matches from 13-23?? How is that possible

Wait what? You had 1,000 comepetetive matches from 13-23?? How is that possible
11 years of wrestling every weekend and duals during the week. We also had summer tournaments where they would pay the refs for a set amount of time, and you could go in and do your bracket, then take on whoever you wanted in matches. I would get an extra 40 matches in the summer just from those tournaments. There are kids who have over a thousand matches before they are 18.

How did you do when you first started wrestling? You must have a lot of natural ability, or maybe you are naturally a tough competitor, because I think it's difficult for most kids at that age to begin wrestling, unless maybe the kid were a heavyweight and a natural athlete. I live in NJ, and even at around 10 most kids would have an uphill battle starting at that age.

Back