BJJ Blackbelt Submits Burglar

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Baret Yoshida Black Belt Sergio Hernandez just made the papers. Surge saw him breaking in to his father house.

He hit the uchi mata, transitioned to sidemount and set up the triangle from there. Afterwards he held the burglar in a triangle until the police arrived.

Here is a video of the burglary.

It might not be the biggest news but I am glad that our system of fighting was shown to be effective and shown in a better light since the last time our team made the normal news was with War Machine

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-burglary-takedown-20180716-story.html
A man suspected of burglarizing a City Heights home on Monday likely regretted his decision after a resident — who happens to also be an experienced mixed martial arts fighter — spotted him and took him down.

A video of the incident, recorded by a neighbor, had been viewed more than 86,000 times as of 7 p.m. Monday.

Last edited:
Was he a Russian spy or something?

He said he had a two-year-old and didn't want to be separated from the kid.

Oh, the irony....

That triangle looks tight as shit, how did he hold him so long without him being out the whole time?

That triangle looks tight as shit, how did he hold him so long without him being out the whole time?

He's not applying full pressure. Just enough to keep the guy from escaping.

He's also in socks and sandals which might be my favorite part.

It would be funny if he pressed charges for kidnapping since they brought him back to the house after he ran away.

He's not applying full pressure. Just enough to keep the guy from escaping.

He's also in socks and sandals which might be my favorite part.

Amazes me because I suck so bad at triangles. If I ever locked my legs like that somebodies head is probably about to pop off lol.

That burglar's name?

Christie Mac.

good for him, but there are some concerns here wrt chasing down the burglar, dragging him back to the house, and applying a choke to restrain him that could definitely get an overzealous prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney blood pumping

Hernandez said he’s been practicing jujitsu for 13 years, and won a world title as a brown belt about four years ago. He’s also competed in four professional MMA fights.

lol

It doesn't look tight at all. The angle is all wrong. You wouldn't be able to put someone out from that position if you tried.

To triangle someone from that position anyways, your figure four needs to be on the side of the trapped arm. (Just like a regular triangle.)

A great control position, absolutely.

Was he a Russian spy or something?
I had a great line about not sending their best people but since this got moved to grappling I will have to hold on to it for next time.

It's just funny to me how some people think they find easy game for easy pickin's....until they find a dude who's BJJ champ.

I was just trying to imagine what was going through the burgalers head when he realized he couldn't get free. Bjj dudes, (at least the ones I know) are some of the most inconspicuous looking dudes in martial arts....and they'll mess you up bad while making it look easy.

..thats all

It's just funny to me how some people think they find easy game for easy pickin's....until they find a dude who's BJJ champ.

I was just trying to imagine what was going through the burgalers head when he realized he couldn't get free. Bjj dudes, (at least the ones I know) are some of the most inconspicuous looking dudes in martial arts....and they'll mess you up bad while making it look easy.

..thats all

oh I thought you were laughing at brown belt world champ like it was fake or something. My bad.

oh I thought you were laughing at brown belt world champ like it was fake or something. My bad.

No prob man. I gotta do a better job of articulating my thoughts when shit-posting.

Keep Well.

That burglar's name?

Christie Mac.

good for him, but there are some concerns here wrt chasing down the burglar, dragging him back to the house, and applying a choke to restrain him that could definitely get an overzealous prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney blood pumping

Yeah I thought the sane thing. Going after the guy is never a good idea, being with weapons or fists.
A prosecutor could argue that the case was no longer self defense and portrait the guy as a war machine wannabe.
That and the fact that where I come from, to every story of a sucessful MMA/ Bjj guy getting a buglar, you have another story of a family who lost their father shot by the robber who was intimidated by the guys' size/ demeanor

..thats all

Nerd Assassins

(stolen from somewhere)

Yeah I thought the sane thing. Going after the guy is never a good idea, being with weapons or fists.
A prosecutor could argue that the case was no longer self defense and portrait the guy as a war machine wannabe.
That and the fact that where I come from, to every story of a sucessful MMA/ Bjj guy getting a buglar, you have another story of a family who lost their father shot by the robber who was intimidated by the guys' size/ demeanor
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's not self-defense at all, or even defense of property. It might be a valid citizens arrest. This is pretty far out of my wheelhouse, though.

Back