BJJ and flexibility

tk99

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For those of you who have trained consistently, did you find that BJJ increased your flexibility on it's own, or did you have to supplement it with stretching and strength training?

My experience has been that my flexibility increases most quickly by strengthening the muscles around the joint. Rolling obviously helps a lot, but hip exercises like hydrants seem to be the most beneficial.

Chime in. :cool:

BJJ definitely increases flexibility on it's own, but not at a real super fast rate. I still stretch immediately after class to get where I want to be quicker.

Have to be flexible to have a good guard is the way I see it.

Honestly, I find that flexibility is the key to nearly every athletic movement. You see some of these old guys who have a lot of knowledge, but get beat by better athletes. It starts in the hips. Stand up game included.

I have the dvd "Yoga for Martial Arts" by Stephan Kesting. I've been through it a few times and I have noticed my legs and body are more flexible than before.

I have the dvd "Yoga for Martial Arts" by Stephan Kesting. I've been through it a few times and I have noticed my legs and body are more flexible than before.

I've never done Yoga. Seems like a lot of position "holding," which is static, rather than dynamic stretching, like what you inadvertently do during conditioning.

And it's so time consuming. I'd rather roll. You find it worth the time?

I would like to be more flexible, but it's hard to get the habit of stretching, especially because I don't know what to do to increase flexibility. I just do the standard stretching and warmup at class. It did surprise me when I found out I was able to sit like Buddha. It amazes me that, being fat and having a buzzcut, no one ever called me that yet :p

I would like to be more flexible, but it's hard to get the habit of stretching, especially because I don't know what to do to increase flexibility. I just do the standard stretching and warmup at class. It did surprise me when I found out I was able to sit like Buddha. It amazes me that, being fat and having a buzzcut, no one ever called me that yet :p

Ha! That's hilarious.

On the real, stretching for an hour before bed is my favorite time of the day. It's easy to work in your schedule, and you can kinda fall asleep or relax with your legs up against a wall (like a split position but above your head so the gravity does the work for you). I've seen HUGE gains in flexibility in about 6 weeks.

As far as the program for stretching goes, have any good martial artist explain theirs to you. They know what works. Essentially, you have to focus on your hips (called the Iliotibilal band, or IT Band). Good luck. It makes all the difference in the world.

I noticed a little bit when i started but then i just started stretching anytime I could. Like when ur watching tv just jump onto the floor and stretch out will help alot.

I think extreme flexibility is genetic although you can get limber with Yoga or Pilates. :D

I had to change my stretchin routine to accomidate the fact that I was doing BJJ insted of traditional athletics. So that meant more hip flexor stretches, groin, basically the entire region from my thigh to my naval has to be stretched for each session. That is what got me so flexible.

I've never done Yoga. Seems like a lot of position "holding," which is static, rather than dynamic stretching, like what you inadvertently do during conditioning.

And it's so time consuming. I'd rather roll. You find it worth the time?

The holding of the positions helps strengthen your stabilizing muscles a lot. It's 100% worth the time imo.

I have been training for almost 5 years now and never stretch. I find that i have gained flexibility though just from training.

Back