BJJ and bench press = elbow pain. Overtrain?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by sliddjur, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sliddjur Orange Belt

sliddjur
    I've been doing some heavy bench pressing lately. I am trying to bench 1.5 * my body weight, which I am getting really close in doing (at about 1.45*bodyweight now, humble brag).

I do strength ~3 times a week. I have a 2-day split. A pull day and a push day. I notice if I train to much pull exercises, my bicep/inner elbow start hurting, especially if its just after a BJJ day. So I basically never do bicep curls or similar. Heaviest stress on biceps I have, is pull ups or really strict and slow rows.
    On the push days I have not really noticed anything until just now. The whole area around the elbow hurts if I train too heavy and long sessions (2hrs).

I also train BJJ two times a week. My gym is really really competetive, and each session is atleaset 45min sparring.

One important thing is that I actually have never been older than I am now. I am 31. Am I developing arthritis? Time for TRT?

What can I do to avoid more pain? Not train heavy each day? No play the guard in BJJ? Will I ever be able to train like I was 25 again?

Thanks!

2. Locke91 White Belt

Locke91
    Do you follow are strength program?

If not allready, don't go heavy every week. You will destroy your tendons and CNS.
    Go for waves in terms of weight. Google 531, it will help you back off a bit while still keeping maximum gains.

31 is still young, don't do TRT. TRT will speed up some aging stuff (baldness etc..).
    The pro vs cons with TRT are very minimal, imo.
    It's not worth it if you don't need it.

3. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    If you're getting armbarred a lot, git gud

mike sherry and Cmart like this.
  4. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Mind = blown.

corpse, Mad child and mike sherry like this.
  5. mike sherry Purple Belt

mike sherry
    definitely need to see your form on bench and your progression plan for your lifts to make an educated observation

6. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    Yeah, Mike Sherry is going to lead by example and post up a training log so you can get some pointers.

mike sherry likes this.
  7. Mad child Orange Belt

Mad child
    Lol yes, and stop grabbing my junk.

8. mike sherry Purple Belt

mike sherry
    am i missing some context?

9. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    You're here to dole out advice, and so of course you're going to show that you practice what you preach. Like, you know, your bench press routine. This is a bench press thread.

10. corpse Orange Belt

corpse
    it's probably just tendonitis. inside elbow (palms up) means your wrist flexors are overworked. you can rest, ice, take ibu, stretch and do light eccentric moves for your flexors. you should also try to do exercises for pushing and pulling where your wrist can stay neutral. try pull ups or dips on rings. if you flex your wrist on pulling exercises just a little bit and stretch it out again while letting the weight down/back the excentric stress can be too much for the wrist muscles. in addition to your bjj this can be the cause.

11. mike sherry Purple Belt

mike sherry
    oh, youre continuing a one sided feud from a previous thread.

maybe one day youll learn that you have ideas, and that you arent the ideas you own. would stop you from being so sensitive at the slightest criticism of your advice.

or maybe you should take some exemestane for an estrogen issue?

12. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    Weak ad hominem is no excuse for putting your money where your mouth is. Put up (some weight) or shut up. No need to try to insult me when you can just do what people here do... Post up your own stuff.

Maybe your area of expertise is estrogen issues. You could fill us all in on your transition from Sherry to Mike. I'm sure you have something to contribute, but since this is the internet, you'll understand there's sometimes skepticism right out the gate. A little background, and knowing that you practice what you preach, goes a long way. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Thunderhead likes this.
  13. Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Thunderhead
    Such sass from this man. I love it.