BJJ: 7 times vs 4 times a week?

Triangles R us

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Which is better? (Been training just over 6 years now) - 7x vs 4x a week.

Reason I ask is because i'm doing 7 at the moment, but I feel like my reactions are not as good and i'm getting raped a bit - Wheras at 4x a week I felt a lot more energetic and less sluggish in rolling.

Does 7x guy really have a greater learning curve :/

Thanks

I like 7x4 per week. I think that’s like 28 times a week.

So many factors to consider... I know people who do 7 per week. I know people who do 4 per week. Both might work.

it depends on your age. If you are in your teens early 20s, 7 a week might work out for you... as you pass the 25 years old barrier (and lets assume you are not a pro whos been training like a pro for quite some time) 4x week the inteligent way to train, 7 times a week is too much for your body.

Yeah at my most abmicious I went up to 5x a week and noticed that was sowing me down a bit. 4x is my sweet spot.

What are your goals? How old are you? Need more info.

My marriage would end, and I wouldn't walk after a month of 7 times per week, unless a few of those were just drill sessions.

3 times a week is perfect for me.

I train a lot. Always have, and it's always worked pretty well for me. The key is to have training sessions where you know you're going to go really hard, and sessions where you'll go easier. I generally train, between striking, grappling, and S&C, 10-12 sessions a week, but not all of those are equally hard. I basically have two really hard days where my morning S&C is very hard and I do a double training session at night. The other days S&C is lighter and my training sessions are more technical rather than being super hard. You just have to figure out what your body can handle and give yourself breaks when you need them, even if a 'break' is just a day where you don't roll or drill as hard. 7x a week is totally doable if you're paying attention to nutrition, keeping drinking and drug use to a minimum, and sleeping enough. Especially if you're in your early to mid 20s (I'm 36 and haven't broken down yet).

Great advice so far, I'm 25 btw. - the goal is to push for a higher skill level in shorter time. I might bring it back to 4-5 a week.

Following on from that - who do you think wins in rolls and why?

a) 6 years of training + 2 years of 7x a week.

b) 6 years of training + 2 years of 4-5x a week.

Thanks.

Last edited:
it depends on how intense your training sessions are, too. in my early 20s, i could do two a day, 5 days a week, and they were all pretty fucking hard. i was completely worn out, but i could do it.

i'm 31 now, and sometimes i still train a lot, but a bunch of my sessions are a lot more mellow. i avoid hard sparring with people who have 30+ lbs on me, and rather just have a competitive roll with someone roughly my size, and a few easy rolls with some blue belts. i work all day, i'm getting up there in age, i just don't have the energy to fight some beast every evening.

TL/DR: listen to your body. train as much as you can, but when you feel like you're breaking, either physically or mentally, take it down a notch.

You are asking a question about periodization. Basic 101 periodization at least for grappling sports:

Volume primes skill acquisition and ability (learning new techniques, honing favorite techniques, fixing holes)
Intensity primes competition readiness (speed, power, timing, reaction)

These two primers inversely affect each other; too much of one will not allow the other to produce the desired effect.

Adding high volume and high intensity builds base and mental toughness. However, mentally and physically it is hard to withstand for extended periods, which is why it is primarily used near the beginning of the season because you are far away from peak competition and you have a lot more wiggle room with early preparation vs final preparation.

Great advice so far, I'm 25 btw. - the goal is to push for a higher skill level in shorter time. I might bring it back to 4-5 a week.

Following on from that - who do you think wins in rolls and why?

a) 6 years of training + 2 years of 7x a week.

b) 6 years of training + 2 years of 4-5x a week.

Thanks.

It depends on tour age...

The pros train up to 3 times a day 6 times a week in their teens and early 20s like savages probably... as you get up on age, you just can handle that anymore. Your body needs to rest.

If you are in your 20's and you want to become the best grappler- 7 times a week is nothing- all high level competitors train more than that.

(You mean 7 sessions/practices, not 7 days right?)

If you are in your 20's and you want to become the best grappler- 7 times a week is nothing- all high level competitors train more than that.

(You mean 7 sessions/practices, not 7 days right?)

I mean 7 practices mate.

You are 25 and have been training for 6 years? If you want to become the best bjj competitor you can be, you should be doing more than 7 practices a week.

Hi guys,

Reason I ask is because i'm doing 7 at the moment, but I feel like my reactions are not as good and i'm getting raped a bit - Wheras at 4x a week I felt a lot more energetic and less sluggish in rolling.

Thanks
Well consider this. Why are your only options 4 and 7? Why not 5 or 6? It's in between. I'm just curious. Is it the way the classes are structured, or payment plans? Also, it's never a good idea to over train. Not in terms of technique, but training as in a workout. It has adverse effects. Maybe some weeks you can go hard 7 days straight, I know grappling can be very hard on you one day and the next you're scratch free.

Let's say you're addicted to bjj and absolutely devoted. Why not go hard 1 day, light the next. So keep your 4 hard sparring days and then on the others just drill or light roll. I'm saying this as if it's your option. Maybe you show up at the gym and go with the flow. IDK

Most importantly, listen to your body.

Hi guys,

Thanks
Your mind and body are gonna be fried and you will get hurt doing something stupid. Or at least I would. Quality over quantity?

Does a number of practices really say anything? Duration and intensity matter a lot less. 3 relaxed hobbyist practices even back to back are easier to do then a single super hard session.

It depends on tour age...

The pros train up to 3 times a day 6 times a week in their teens and early 20s like savages probably... as you get up on age, you just can handle that anymore. Your body needs to rest.

You can't really talk about how the pros train without mentioning the prevalence of PEDs. You can train about as much as you want if you're using lots of drugs.

You can't really talk about how the pros train without mentioning the prevalence of PEDs. You can train about as much as you want if you're using lots of drugs.

even roided up, you cant after certain age.

father time beats the living shit out of every single drug there is.

Getting bored and accumulating a bunch of (even minor) injuries are big limitations for how long you can train.

Back