BJ Penn's level of dexterity

I had a friend who worked for Cirque du Soleil when they traveled to boston, and I met one of the coach's? and asked about the contortionist's, they said you can't teach what they can do. He said they have scouts travel the world looking for people who can perform for them.

Certainly Cirque du Soleil performers are 10x what BJ is and 100x what most people are.

Not knowing anything about BJJ at the time, i'd certainly have more educated question's i'd like to ask if i ever get the chance again.

Well this is 100% true, but not very relevent. High level contortionists like in Cirque De Soleil are profoundly gifted with flexibility and dexterity, but if you think for a second that they don't stretch and train hard to push themselves further to become the best at what they do you're kidding yourself.

^ thats amazing... Imagine the possibilities....

You could probably even defend gi chokes from the back with your feet leaving your hands free.

This made me lol...and whats fucked up..is its probably true lol

Actually my girlfriend is giving me advice. She's to the point where she can poke herself in the eye with her big toe. Yesterday someone that has seen BJ put his legs behind his head without touching them explained the way he does it to us and she almost got it on the first try.

The muscle control is definitely the hard part, but before that being overly flexible is definitely important. I usually practice hip flexibility by putting my legs behind my head one at a time and looking up at the ceiling using my neck and shoulders to push them back further; then I do both at the same time and lock like a guard and again use my neck to kind of add to the stretch. I still don't have anywhere near the dexterity, or muscle control BJ has yet, but at least I can slap myself in a pretty wicked triangle choke.

Did you just post this to brag you have girlfriend that does bjj and can put her legs behind her head. You are a lucky man hahaha.

kobe.gif

Sometimes before I die, I must find her for sex. If she can peel a banana with her feet, I'm sure she could give you the good ole feet jerk as well. She's mad flexible too. Nice shit there.

watch it Mickey will triangle you for talking like that about his GF!

Interesting necro.
I once saw a man with no arms smoking a cigarette with his foot effortlessly. So it can be learned with tinw

One of the biggest reasons most people can't do the splits is because of insufficient strength in the hip abductors.

One of the biggest reasons most people can't do the splits is because of insufficient strength in the hip abductors.

How much of it is raw strength and how much is strength imbalance between abductors and adductors? Because I used to be a lot more flexible but A. I'm old and B. from squatting a lot more than I deadlift my adductors are now a lot stronger than my abductors.

How much of it is raw strength and how much is strength imbalance between abductors and adductors? Because I used to be a lot more flexible but A. I'm old and B. from squatting a lot more than I deadlift my adductors are now a lot stronger than my abductors.

I would say some of the latter and more of the former.

The first question to ask is if squatting is an essential part of your programming. The largest muscles involved in hip abduction, the gluteus medius and minimus, are not really targeted by squatting movements, but if your vocation demands squatting, the issue can be ameliorated proximately by squatting using a wider stance with toe pronation, which reduces 'shortness' in the adductors and increases activation in the gluteus maximus (a less 'closed in' movement engram). Use of boxes and chains are also a useful modality, in that you may concentrate more of the resistance at the top of extension rather than 'in the hole'. As well as the use of resistance bands around the knees, which 'cue' the abductors when performing movements.

Along with more sport specific conditioning (further resistance can be added with ankle weights).

Moreover, the way you can (safely) add the most resistance to abduction movements is likely through weighted drags, which are often used by speed skaters.

Performing drags one handed in your stance with punch form would be a more specific accessory for combat sports involving striking, and would allow conditioning for the development of tremendous force along those movements. In many ways, you could consider it a further accessory to the isometric punch form exercises recommended by Champ Thomas in his most excellent tome.

punch power1.png
punch power2.png
punch power3.png

Last edited:
Performing drags one handed in your stance with punch form would be a more specific accessory for combat sports involving striking, and would allow conditioning for the development of tremendous force along those movements. In many ways, you could consider it a further accessory to the isometric punch form exercises recommended by Champ Thomas in his most excellent tome.

View attachment 359943
View attachment 359945
View attachment 359947
What book are the book exerts from?

Back