BJ Penn Ya'll Musta Forgot or Never Known Thread

Hard to get excited - was one of my inspirations in both jiu jitsu and mma and fighting in general.

But his days are long past him in terms of being a threat. He gave the illusion that he was training at jackson wink for the Yair fight but never did. He did this camp back in Hilo and it appears it is more of the same old same old.

The guy that brutalized Sherk, Joe Daddy, Florian, Sanchez, Pulver is long gone.

Too old, does not want to do what he needs to do and at this point I dont think it would matter.

Most likely Siver is going to win - UD or TKO.

...case in point lol

Yeah sure, because a fighter's record should never be considered when time has come to analyze his career after he retires.

Here's an idea: No more "winners" and "losers" in MMA. Anyway it doesn't matter... what really matters: If Sherdoggers think you're a "legend" or not, no matter how many times you quit, came out of shape and got your face smashed :D

Seriously guys, put your personal bias aside: Despite all his athletic qualities, Penn's career is a disapointement... :rolleyes:

Yeah sure, because a fighter's record should never be considered when time has come to analyze his career after he retires.

Here's an idea: No more "winners" and "losers" in MMA. Anyway it doesn't matter... what really matters: If Sherdoggers think you're a "legend" or not, no matter how many times you quit, came out of shape and got your face smashed :D

Seriously guys... :rolleyes:

Don't be so stupid. I'm not saying you don't look at the record, but a fighter's worth is more than the two numbers that represents wins and losses. As we know, not all wins and losses are equal. BJ's win against Hughes was worth more than a career's worth of wins against unknown competition in a smaller org. His loss against Machida was an L, but it was a 155lber (arguably a 145lber) fighting at HEAVYWEIGHT.

That's what made guys like BJ and Couture great: they CONSTANTLY sought to test themselves and take on all challenges. Sometimes they set the bar too high and took an L - big deal. BJ's problem was that he got stagnant and rested on his insane talent, and eventually the sport caught up with and over passed him. He's still a p4p great and legend in the sport, and anyone who says differently doesn't know MMA. Simple as that.

The same rubes that diss BJ are the ones who get a chubby for those pretty 20-0 records that were built up fighting no-names in a no-name organization somewhere in Brazil, where that guy gets destroyed when they put him in with someone who can fight.

Seriously guys, put your personal bias aside: Despite all his athletic qualities, Penn's career is a disapointement... :rolleyes:
I looked at Jon Jones record, he lost to Matt Hamill, what a friggin loser.

BJ did pretty well against the old stable of fighters. He hasn't evolved though and has looked terrible against the new breed of fighters who have a more well-rounded skill set and better cardio. Pretty hard to call him a legend when he wouldn't even get off the stool to fight GSP. I've never seen that before; someone not even willing to go and do the next round. People credit him because he fought in multiple weight classes. To me that's just further evidence that he makes bad decisions.

How do you feel about MM not moving up to BW?

BJ Penn is one of the greatest fighter/athlete types to ever compete in the octagon. Major props to him, his first win over Hughes will forever be etched into my memory. But he needs to call it a day if he isn't willing to put in what it takes to regain the moniker necessary to win such as "Motivated". Would be excellent if Buffer introduced him as "Mooooooooooooooootivated BeeeeeeeeeeeeJaaaaaaaaaaayyyeeeeeeee Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!"

It would strike so much fear into Siver that he would lock up and get pummeled by Penn.

I've been a MMA fan since the 90s

{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

I love how you throw that in there because you know what you're saying proves you are a new, clueless fan who only knows the legends from fight finder. You aren't fooling anyone 2014 join date. You don't know anything about MMA.

Penn is a fave of mine.

But there can be only 1 "Ya'll Must . . ."

I think most hard-cores just don't want to see him get hurt / cloud his legacy by continuing to fight years past his prime.

I'm mainly hoping he doesn't get seriously hurt or receive permanent damage at this point.

Dude had a legendary run back in the day, but his glory days waved bye-bye years ago.
Was a shame he decided to go to WW and fight monsters after he lost the belt and then took a huge break. If he would have stayed at 155 or dropped down to 145 immediately after Edgar 2 he could have continued to do big things, maybe win the 145 strap or reclaim the 155. Instead he fought fucking Nick Diaz and Rory McDonald (what?!?!) and then took a big layoff and now he's returned a shell of his former self with his speed and reflexes gone... it's sad.

Absolute legend of the game, anyone who says otherwise is a cunt.

14loi0l.png

The good ole days! Rudy V, J Peezy, PM, JD

Was a shame he decided to go to WW and fight monsters after he lost the belt and then took a huge break. If he would have stayed at 155 or dropped down to 145 immediately after Edgar 2 he could have continued to do big things, maybe win the 145 strap or reclaim the 155. Instead he fought fucking Nick Diaz and Rory McDonald (what?!?!) and then took a big layoff and now he's returned a shell of his former self with his speed and reflexes gone... it's sad.

Why can't you make solid posts like this more often?

BJ is the Bieber of Sherdog. Fan girls will cling to him until the end. Bieber fever = Prodigy remedy.

Why can't you make solid posts like this more often?

Discussion of legends and greats and fighters outside of Conor/Aldo/Jones/Cormier/Bisping has become a rarity in the heavies. I'm solidly in the Conor camp so most of my MMA discussion on these forums has followed suit and revolves around Conor which is going to alienate 50%+ of the forum. MMA discussion has become like political discussion lol.

{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

I love how you throw that in there because you know what you're saying proves you are a new, clueless fan who only knows the legends from fight finder. You aren't fooling anyone 2014 join date. You don't know anything about MMA.

I wish new fans would learn the history of the sport and the sport itself to a certain degree. I didn't bother to even reply to his post, like you I knew right away he's another filthy casual who pollutes these boards.

Discussion of legends and greats and fighters outside of Conor/Aldo/Jones/Cormier/Bisping has become a rarity in the heavies. I'm solidly in the Conor camp so most of my MMA discussion on these forums has followed suit and revolves around Conor which is going to alienate 50%+ of the forum. MMA discussion has become like political discussion lol.

That's actually pretty spot on observation.

I'm seeing a lot of negativitiy on this forum towards BJ. And rightfully so, for people who haven't followed his full career. A lot of questions about his "legendary" status or his all-time ranking. So in honor of his fight this sunday, here's an appreciation thread for The Prodigy!

tenor.gif

- Began MMA in 2001, with no amateur fights, and no fights outside of the UFC
- In his 3rd and 4th MMA fights, he was fighting Caol Uno and Jens Pulver, who were both Top 5 Ranked LWs at the time
- For the first 8 years of his Pro Career (2001-2009) He was 12-1-1 as a LW with 10 finishes, and 4 UFC Championship wins with all 4 by finish. He was 15-5-1 Overall, with his losses coming against Hughes, GSP X's 2, Machida and Pulver (which was his 4th fight and very close).
- In the the 4 months from October 2003 to January 2004, he submitted Takanori Gomi and Matt Hughes back to back. Gomi was arguably the best LW in the world at the time and Hughes was no doubt the #1 WW in the world at the time.
- In his first 8 years, he fought in weight classes from LW all the way to HW and was never dominated or outmatched in any of his fights.

He had the best takedown defense in the history of MMA and the best Rear Naked Choke.

He was one of the first MMA fighters that was dangerous every where, and appeared to have capability and talent with no limits. It's joked about these days about him being "motivated", but he was able to do things in the cage that seemed impossible, which created a belief in people's minds that he could do anything under the right training and circumstances.

So WAR BJ! I hope he doesn't get his ass kicked again Sunday!
giphy.gif
tumblr_md94y8oYIG1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
UFC101Penn-Florian-3.gif~c200
5.gif
6023a6_3c9d893ad7f046398b2eba5340363d08.gif
broke his best friends jaw in the parking lot after he tried to break up bj fight in a bar

broke his best friends jaw in the parking lot after he tried to break up bj fight in a bar

Dude isn't a saint, and they were both drunk off their ass. I'm sure BJ regrets what he did.

Back