BJ Penn was truly something special

I was a GSP fan during the GSP vs Penn rivalry. Penn and GSP fans hated each other more then any other fan base. But this is one of the stupidest things i have ever read on Sherdog. Nate is not half the fighter Penn was
With all due respect my friend, the record speaks for itself. I also think Nate has got better with age. His record is a little more consistent. BJ Penn certainly has not got better with age. Both fighters fought basically in the same era, and Nate has done a way better job evolving with the sport and winning against newer guys. But BJ....for somebody that was truly special, going 0-7-1 from age 31-39 isn't exactly good...

So I mean I think your opinion is founded in bias since you are a huge bj fan. Maybe I'm a little biased and don't recognize it. I'm a Nate fan, but hey I like Penn too.

We're talking different things. Having a skill advantage over bigger fighters is one thing, having the balls to fight them is another. Sakuraba would have fought guys that outweighed him by 50lbs regardless of where they're at skill wise, that's the OG mentality. He'd do it even if it means he gets he gets beaten into a bloody pulp. Meanwhile pussified modern day MMA fighters make a big fuss about moving up 10lbs.

Being beaten into a bloody pulp is not something to be proud of. I used to say to the guys "Hey, if all you can say about a guy after the fight is he's a tough guy or he's got a great chin, you probably had a huge mismatch". Especially at the lower levels. At the top of the mountain, you fight who you fight and you get (assuming) remunerated quite well for it.

While Sakuraba's balls enters the room about 10 seconds before the rest of him does, looking at him today, he's paid a very physical price for those wars with guys way bigger than him, especially later in his career as his skills diminished and he couldn't even think about hanging in there skill wise.

On the weight class issue, I try not to compare it in absolute terms, but rather in percentages.

He won the bjj world championships... First ever non Brazilian! Aka bjj was a small time sport and his dad was rich enough to fly him down there.

He was too good for his own good. Being able to run through guys just made him lazy. But watching him at his peak was truly something special

giphy.gif

Edit.

I really hated that guy back in the day. They way he cried about losing both fights with GSP. And especially taking his mommy to the NSAC hearing when he appealed the second loss. That was a bitch move. Especially after the “ to the death “ bullshit. He got smoked fair and square and the whole world knows it.

That’s why the NSAC didn’t do anything to anybody. And we all know that GSP did not put a single thing on his body except water. And it pisses me off when people say GSP cheated. Because not one single asshole that cries about that fight can prove GSP cheated. How do you argue with video ? At no point did GSP put vaseline on himself. And if anybody thinks the vaseline Nurse put on him affected the fight. They’re clearly insane, and salty.

But I got past that years ago. Now I don’t mind the guy.

But I always respected what he did in the cage.
Ya buddy, obviously gsp corner put vaseline on him between rounds to moisturized his body and nothing mote than that. Get real, it might not have change the outcome of the fight, but it did give him a little advantage having that on his body as he would be lot slippery, its whatever. I still remeber bj giving gsp run for his money when they first met.

i liked when bj beat frankie
but i hated that the judges blew it

Back