BJ Penn was truly something special

He was great and complete savageee

20i76td.gif

giphy.gif

Edit.

I really hated that guy back in the day. They way he cried about losing both fights with GSP. And especially taking his mommy to the NSAC hearing when he appealed the second loss. That was a bitch move. Especially after the “ to the death “ bullshit. He got smoked fair and square and the whole world knows it.

That’s why the NSAC didn’t do anything to anybody. And we all know that GSP did not put a single thing on his body except water. And it pisses me off when people say GSP cheated. Because not one single asshole that cries about that fight can prove GSP cheated. How do you argue with video ? At no point did GSP put vaseline on himself. And if anybody thinks the vaseline Nurse put on him affected the fight. They’re clearly insane, and salty.

But I got past that years ago. Now I don’t mind the guy.

But I always respected what he did in the cage.

Last edited:
Records aside, there's a handful of fighters that come along who when their fights are coming up there's an electricity in the air that's like - oh shit, this is about to go down.

Some fighters amass impressive records, become legends in their own right, but they never have that special thing.

Chuck Liddell had it.

Anderson Silva had it.

Conor McGregor has it.

BJ Penn had it.

Penn at his best was a marvelous thing to be around for.

I think theres a good argument that BJ would actually be the guy with the best chance of anyone in LW history of beating Khabib.

BJ had the balls to fight at any weight, including weight classes well above his walk around weight that he had to become fat for just to compete.

Meanwhile you have "P4P GOAT" Mighty Mouse who's too chicken to move up 10lbs, or take on a challenger from a weight class above him who is willing to move down to his weight class without getting paid extra.

BJ just became too whiney for my liking

Serra was robbed against Penn IMO

I never liked him, but the disparaging comments people make on these forums - people who claim to be so into the sport that they signed up for an MMA forum - are what truly disgust me. One of the best fighters ever. I'd slot him in at top 15 - just don't have an idea of where off the top of my head.

I watched Penn/Uno II for the first time today and thought he looked pretty good. Imo won 3 rounds to 2.

BJ had the balls to fight at any weight, including weight classes well above his walk around weight that he had to become fat for just to compete.

Meanwhile you have "P4P GOAT" Mighty Mouse who's too chicken to move up 10lbs, or take on a challenger from a weight class above him who is willing to move down to his weight class without getting paid extra.

BJ moving up like a crazy man shouldn't be used to insult other fighters. He wasn't the norm or what should be expected, he was a rare exception.

BJ moving up like a crazy man shouldn't be used to insult other fighters. He wasn't the norm or what should be expected, he was a rare exception.

Not really, BJ's mentality was pretty common place among old school fighters. Remember the Gracies started UFC with no intention of creating weight classes. Their whole thing was to demonstrate the ability to beat opponents of any size. Fighters from BJ's era mostly did not care about size discrepancy, the Gracies didn't give a fuck, neither did Fedor or pretty much any of the Japanese fighters in pride (Sakuraba, Minowaman). The current generation fighters are just massively pussified.

I always loved the fact that you never knew which BJ would come to fight, but you knew he came to fight for sure. His rubber guard was spectacular and his TDD and boxing were awesome to watch.
Never was one of my favorites (I think the whole running out of the octagon without saying anything except "If you wanna know, go to Bjpenn dot com" kind of turned me off at the time), but always respected his abilities.

giphy.gif

Edit.

I really hated that guy back in the day. They way he cried about losing both fights with GSP. And especially taking his mommy to the NSAC hearing when he appealed the second loss. That was a bitch move. Especially after the “ to the death “ bullshit. He got smoked fair and square and the whole world knows it.

That’s why the NSAC didn’t do anything to anybody. And we all know that GSP did not put a single thing on his body except water. And it pisses me off when people say GSP cheated. Because not one single asshole that cries about that fight can prove GSP cheated. How do you argue with video ? At no point did GSP put vaseline on himself. And if anybody thinks the vaseline Nurse put on him affected the fight. They’re clearly insane, and salty.

But I got past that years ago. Now I don’t mind the guy.

But I always respected what he did in the cage.

Got smoked by a proven greaser.

BJ was at his peak when he was hanging out in airports

I like BJ, but when I think of him the first thought that comes to mind is untapped potential, now that might seem silly as he's a 2 weight champ, but for me the guy stopped improving at about 26-27, and as the game evolved he really didn't seem interested in evolving with it, BJ was a natural fighter but he never seemed to have the drive to be much more than that.

Back