BJ Penn vs. Dennis Siver Announced For UFC Fight Night Oklahoma City (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I like that they re-booked this fight. I was interested the first time it was announced.

I still am.

Somebody has to win, though. It's a bit of a toss-up, imo. No prediction yet.

So BJ wins and gets title shot against Aldo who pulls out and is replaced by 2-week Edgar for interim title.

cant wait

Granted. His moniker was plenty deserved, no question there. He's the poster boy of the fast road to success, but he's also the poster boy for incredible shortcomings in the limelight. It's undeniable.

BJ's rapid ascent to BJJ then MMA fame inflated his head so much, he became delusional. I place the threshold to insanity after his Matt Hughes win. We can all agree on that: he was ready to fight the whole MMA roster, all weight included on the same night after that. While that is commendable, it is also highly delusional...

I can admire brashness but I despise shortcuts. BJ was ready to fight Fedor on a "Just Scrap" mentality with a "Just Crap" game plan. He was like that: "no need to train hard, I'm the Prodigay BJ "baby Jay" Penn baby! IV's are for wimps, weight cutters suck, none can do what I do."

Ends up suspended for IVs, cutting to 145 and utterly fail, miserably. Face the facts: BJ might have been done for longer than 7 years: I think he was done after that historic Win!

bj-penn-chokes-hughes.jpg

J/k of course, but you get my point: BJ's delusion of grandeur sealed his fate. The rest is becoming a re-writing of UFC history and the conclusion to his legacy. Hall of Famers don't come back to get destroyed again and again. They're supposed to have the dignity to step back and enjoy the walk into the sunrise.

Let's hope he can keep some dignity after Siver tramples him...

You're a GSP fan I take it?

There some truth to what you're saying, at times he's been hypocritical, lazy and full of shit. I disagree with some of your timeframe though. 7 years or close to it nails it to me though, that was his first step down on slippery slope(Edgar 1). I had him winning vs Edgar1 and like Jeff Fenech the "robbery" appears to have stuck in his head(much like GSP 1)

After Hughes 1 he was confident and rightly so, he went on beat two gracies, Ludwig and to lose to Machida at Heavy weight when Machida had just badly smashed Bonner and Rich Franklin (and it wasn't a bad loss, he held his own). This was when the trolls were getting banned for "who's Machida" sherdog era.

He was the first fighter to take on (and win) the UFC machine by taking off with the belt, Caol Uno was a great fighter but no way that was a draw.
He beat Gomi (no small task at the time)
Clowned the UFC Welterweight champ in Hughes
Again took on and beat the UFC machine by fucking off with the belt and forcing to cede to his demands(which would start to directly effect other fighters attitudes). There is nothing like kicking the boss in the balls(twice) and making him re employ you.

GSP 1 could have gone either way and I had it for him. He would have felt that this was Dana getting his own back and truth be told very well could have been.
Hughes 2 was a injury and until he did his rib he was looking very good. In his defence on this injury, until you have separated a rib from your cartilage yourself you have no idea.

Couple of solid wins than GSP2 may have cracked something inside his head. To talk all the shit and than doing the exact opposite..... In this you touch on it, he didn't walk the walk

Edgar 1 by than must have retouched all of the feelings GSP 1 did and while he may have a legitimate complaint in the scoring Edgar 2 left no doubt. From here almost straight down the slope.

He did things in his Era that were unheard of and broke the mold. Maybe if he didn't have rich parents he wouldn't have taken the risk and walked twice, on the flip side maybe if he hadn't walked a couple of close decisions would have been in his favour and history would still be riding his balls.

No matter how you looked at it he was the first to show a fighter could have power not be a slave. He took on challengers that others wouldn't dream off and tested himself against very dangerous opponents. Until broken by GSP2 he walked what he talked.

Yeah he's a hall of famer

Good to know UFC is taking it easy on Siver and not forcing him to train hard for the fight

Will not watch. I dont co-sign elder abuse

This is just embarrassing at this point

Baby Jay, please

Ah, a sensible match-up for BJ Penn.

That is, until Siver withdraws and it becomes Penn vs. Bektic or Penn vs. Choi.

At least he won't have ring rust for once.

It's good to note that he hasn't had a back go back fast turn around since his hayday.

I believe his problem is consistency. You can't just lose then retire lose then retire and expect anything different .

At least he's fighting another old dog, I just can't get excited at all about it though. BJ should win really.

Should have made this fight in the first place...

When BJ KOs him inside of a second, he will get an instant title shot, reclaim the LW belt, reclaim the WW belt and then drop down to FW to crush that division.

Good, vets fighting each other. Should be competitive, good fight for both. As Siver's a kickboxer with good takedowns Penn has a chance to win this with his hands and BJJ.

I can already hear "BJ Penn turning back the clock!!!"....when he's fighting a fellow 38-year-old. Don't get delusional my fellow Penn fans if he wins.

You're a GSP fan I take it?

There some truth to what you're saying, at times he's been hypocritical, lazy and full of shit. I disagree with some of your timeframe though. 7 years or close to it nails it to me though, that was his first step down on slippery slope(Edgar 1). I had him winning vs Edgar1 and like Jeff Fenech the "robbery" appears to have stuck in his head(much like GSP 1)

After Hughes 1 he was confident and rightly so, he went on beat two gracies, Ludwig and to lose to Machida at Heavy weight when Machida had just badly smashed Bonner and Rich Franklin (and it wasn't a bad loss, he held his own). This was when the trolls were getting banned for "who's Machida" sherdog era.

He was the first fighter to take on (and win) the UFC machine by taking off with the belt, Caol Uno was a great fighter but no way that was a draw.
He beat Gomi (no small task at the time)
Clowned the UFC Welterweight champ in Hughes
Again took on and beat the UFC machine by fucking off with the belt and forcing to cede to his demands(which would start to directly effect other fighters attitudes). There is nothing like kicking the boss in the balls(twice) and making him re employ you.

GSP 1 could have gone either way and I had it for him. He would have felt that this was Dana getting his own back and truth be told very well could have been.
Hughes 2 was a injury and until he did his rib he was looking very good. In his defence on this injury, until you have separated a rib from your cartilage yourself you have no idea.

Couple of solid wins than GSP2 may have cracked something inside his head. To talk all the shit and than doing the exact opposite..... In this you touch on it, he didn't walk the walk

Edgar 1 by than must have retouched all of the feelings GSP 1 did and while he may have a legitimate complaint in the scoring Edgar 2 left no doubt. From here almost straight down the slope.

He did things in his Era that were unheard of and broke the mold. Maybe if he didn't have rich parents he wouldn't have taken the risk and walked twice, on the flip side maybe if he hadn't walked a couple of close decisions would have been in his favour and history would still be riding his balls.

No matter how you looked at it he was the first to show a fighter could have power not be a slave. He took on challengers that others wouldn't dream off and tested himself against very dangerous opponents. Until broken by GSP2 he walked what he talked.

Yeah he's a hall of famer
Very lucid post. You're a gem among a pile of... devoted BJ fans! I have to give it to you, you scaled back most of my points brilliantly. As a GSP fan from Montréal, I fully admit my bias. I was not following at the time of BJ vs GSP 1 but I scored it for GSP when I saw the fight. 10-9 BJ round 1, 10-9 GSP round 2 and 3. There was no robbery: if you decide to give one of the latter round to BJ, I can accept it. But I will not accept the term robbery: for me, it would have to be a VERY clear 2 rounds to 1 for BJ. The way I see the fight, only round 2 is in dispute. But that can be the subject of a whole thread if we start on that!

So yeah, I can settle back my position and admit that BJ's descent only began in 2010, after his loss to GSP and the infamous mommmy Jay episode. After that, he was not the same man.

I cannot wait for the crowd to cheer for Siver by chanting "USA."

Back