BJ Penn looks back on Rodriguez loss: why didn’t I just slam him on his head like Frankie Edgar???

BTW - I want to support Penn but from all indications he did his camp in Hilo - same old same old.

He might beat siver, he might not. Siver is about as shot as he is.

Yair doing what he did to Penn shows how far he has fallen. He was never in the fight. Frankie showed how overrated Yair is (and the life and death struggle with average bruce lee-roy).

He should have never taken that fight to begin with. It was an obvious "notch on the belt" type fight for Yair. UFC was just using BJ to build their Mexican star.

Dana White should be beaten the shit out of for the brain damage he allowed BJ to take.

Retirement should get him in full guard and hold him there.

This is so sad for Penn, respect the legend but,

He wishes he could slam pantera like Edgar did.

this just shows the delusions of old, shot fighters. far from isolated to BJ.

I have a 0-0 fight record and even i knew to take the goof down. Shit aint rocket science, bj.

Earlier this year, former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn made his long-awaited return to the Octagon. He did so against red hot featherweight prospect Yair Rodriguez.

Though Penn fought valiantly, this fight unfortunately didn’t go his way, as he was finished by a volley of second-round Rodriguez strikes.

Now several months removed from this fight, and days out from a chance at redemption opposite Dennis Siver, Penn looked back with host Kinch on BJ Penn Radio.

One of his big regrets in the Rodriguez fight, he explained, is that he didn’t shoot for a takedown – something that worked very well for Frankie Edgar, who recently beat Rodriguez.

“You know what, looking back, it’s just the way the fight got put together, and the way I was training for the fight,” Penn said of what went wrong. “But whatever, just looking back, why didn’t I just slam him on his head like Frankie Edgar and just fuck him up on the ground? You know what I mean? I pushed him on the fence, but I didn’t even grab his legs once. But you know, that’s how I was training back then. I was training for some different stuff. Now it’s the ABCs, the basics. But I believe I could have taken Yair down.”

Penn then touched briefly on a possible future rematch with Rodriguez – something he says he’s interested in, but not dying for.

“You never know what the future holds,” he said. “I’m not running around saying ‘I want to fight Yair,’ but if we ever got back in the ring again with each other, then we’ll see how it goes.”

Do you think BJ Penn could have performed better against Yair Rodriguez with a slightly different game plan?

source is bjpenn.com http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exclusive-interviews/bj-penn-looks-back-loss-yair-rodriguez/
Lol BJ is a bum

I wish BJ would just watch that fight and see how much slower and weaker he clearly was that both Yair and his own former self.

I have no interest in seeing BJ get beat by the likes of Dennis Siver.

Why is the UFC doing this to us?

Because BJ, your takedowns suck, and you will gas out faster going for them
They hardly suck. Hes been able to take down everyone he's tried to. Outwrestled Fitch and took gsp down I thjnk

"Though Penn fought valiantly, this fight unfortunately didn’t go his way, as he was finished by a volley of second-round Rodriguez strikes."

That's a very charitable way to describe the fight. A more accurate on would be:

"Penn was thoroughly outclassed, used as a barely moving punching bag by the far superior fighter and finished early in the second round by Rodriguez strikes."

Penn has peaked right about the Stevenson fight...maintained it right by Sanchez and was on a downhill when he faced Edgar. Went back to WW where everyone are basically bigger and walking average 185 or more. there are still few fighters he can beat. I'd love to see Penn vs. Alvarez maybe as a final fight.

I love the way people attempt to re-write history. BJ was in his prime when he lost to Frankie twice. Instead of working his way back up the rankings, he left to become a fat, lazy WW and get his ass kicked repeatedly.

If you really want to see Penn vs Alvarez... I have to ask, how much do you hate BJ? Jesus... that fight would be absolutely brutal.

This is actually the no-brainer next fight for both guys. I cant understand why this fight wouldn't happen. BJ vs Gomi 2 at 155.

Going back to the old days of titles for UFC events:

UFC 220 - "It's just getting sad"
Penn vs Gomi 2

i dont remember Penn slamming Edgar on his head....but i remember Edgar TKO'd him

He's saying he should have done what Edgar did to Yair which is take him down.

Whether he could have we'll never know. I tend to believe that if he could have he would have or else his gameplan went out the window when he started getting hit.

I'm honestly rooting for Siver.

The only time i'll be rooting for BJ is when Tippie Toe Penn comes back.

in some weeks he´ll start making excuses for the siver fight

saddest decline

Ear

Do you think BJ Penn could have performed better against Yair Rodriguez with a slightly different game plan?

BJ Penn had the natural talent to beat anyone, anywhere at anytime, with the proper preparation and training. But a rifle without bullets is just a fancy club. BJ was lazy and chose to surround himself with people who blew smoke up his ass and dismissed his losses as "robberies" or his opponents as "cheaters". But if he had a camp/coaches that/who intensely challenged him, he would have been a truly great fighter...instead of losing embarrassingly again and again...and again.

bj totally out grappled fitch at one point...so the guy can wrestle is ass off.

Horse shit, BJ implemented a totally unexpected gameplan and initially took Fitch by surprise... and then was completely out grappled and spent the last round and a half with Fitch in full mount punching him in the face.

The fact that BJ was gifted a draw in that match was completely absurd and you could see it when his corner heard and jumped up and cheered. They knew their guy got totally owned for most of the fight and round 3 was about the most clear cut 10-8 that you will find... and before you ask, I was in the second row.

Don't just look at wikipedia, go watch the fight.

Conor is proof of his decline...You can't be decimated by a one trick pony if you're still a contender....

Actually I think it was the Conor fight that cracked his chin and his confidence worse than ever before.

Back