Bj penn is the real goat

Lol... He doesn't have more wins... pointless to argue when you're good sit there and lie about simple facts that can be looked up.

Relax killer, by wins I meant relevant/quality wins hence why I listed their number of top 10 wins.

Edgars 4th best win at lw is Sherk.... the same Sherk who is BJs 2nd or 3rd best win.

Sherk > Maynard

It's crazy to think anyone could ever rethink bj is higher on the list than Edgar...

I just did. More top 10 wins, more definitive wins, more title defenses, and bigger impact on the sport.

You don't become LW GOAT with 4 top 10 wins(lmao). Not when guys have 9, 10, 11 top 10 wins under their belt.

Relax killer, by wins I meant relevant/quality wins hence why I listed their number of top 10 wins.

Sherk > Maynard

I just did. More top 10 wins, more definitive wins, more title defenses, and bigger impact on the sport.

You don't become LW GOAT with 4 top 10 wins(lmao). Not when guys have 9, 10, 11 top 10 wins under their belt.

BJ doesn't have that many top ten wins. He fought in a New division while all the ranked fighters in the division were in Japan.

What did Sherk ever do at lw??? He won like two fights at lw his entire career and looked like shit. But don't worry, Edgar beat him too. Maynard was like 10-1 with a bunch of quality wins coming in to the fight with Edgar.

You are ranking guys in the top 10 when they had multiple losses coming into the fight with bj and none of them had done anything deserving to be ranked. The UFC didn't even have a la division for a while. Then they got one and threw in a bunch of TUF rejects and marketed them as the best in the world. And that's the division that bj went on his legendary dominate LW run of 5-2... so impressive.

Outside of Hughes and Gomi. BJ hasn't beaten anyone on the top 50 all time. I could name 5 LWs with better career resumes than bj.

The fact that you rank him above Edgar even tho Edgar has beat him 3 times, twice badly, just shows how blinded by marketing you are. That would be like fedor and nog fighting again andFedor destroying him and me saying nog is better.

BJ doesn't have that many top ten wins. He fought in a New division while all the ranked fighters in the division were in Japan.

What did Sherk ever do at lw??? He won like two fights at lw his entire career and looked like shit. But don't worry, Edgar beat him too. Maynard was like 10-1 with a bunch of quality wins coming in to the fight with Edgar.

You are ranking guys in the top 10 when they had multiple losses coming into the fight with bj and none of them had done anything deserving to be ranked. The UFC didn't even have a la division for a while. Then they got one and threw in a bunch of TUF rejects and marketed them as the best in the world. And that's the division that bj went on his legendary dominate LW run of 5-2... so impressive.

Outside of Hughes and Gomi. BJ hasn't beaten anyone on the top 50 all time. I could name 5 LWs with better career resumes than bj.

Din Thomas, Caol Uno, Matt Serra, Takanori Gomi, Duane Ludwig, Joe Stevenson, Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez.

I am not guessing or speculating. This has been researched and verified. I don't say this with arrogance but I'm something like an expert on historical rankings and top 10 wins.

Now go ahead and name 5 LWs with 9 LW top 10 wins, 3 LW title defenses, a WW title, top10 wins at WW and MW, and a 90% finishing rate who also helped carry the sport for several years. Don't worry I'll wait...

The fact that you rank him above Edgar even tho Edgar has beat him 3 times, twice badly, just shows how blinded by marketing you are. That would be like fedor and nog fighting again andFedor destroying him and me saying nog is better.

The difference between Fedor and Edgar is that Fedors resume is head and shoulders above everyone else at HW. The only resume that can challenge him is Nogs so the h2h cancels that out.

Edgars resume can easily be challenged by 4 or 5 LWs. He simply doesnt have a LW GOAT level resume...but BJ does.

Din Thomas, Caol Uno, Matt Serra, Takanori Gomi, Duane Ludwig, Joe Stevenson, Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez.

I am not guessing or speculating. This has been researched and verified. I don't say this with arrogance but I'm something like an expert on historical rankings and top 10 wins.

Now go ahead and name 5 LWs with 9 LW top 10 wins, 3 LW title defenses, a WW title, top10 wins at WW and MW, and a 90% finishing rate who also helped carry the sport for several years. Don't worry I'll wait...

The difference between Fedor and Edgar is that Fedors resume is head and shoulders above everyone else at HW. The only resume that can challenge him is Nogs so the h2h cancels that out.

Edgars resume can easily be challenged by 4 or 5 LWs. He simply doesnt have a LW GOAT level resume...but BJ does.

Please explain how Sherk was a top 10 lw when he had one fight at lw and it was against an unranked fighter

Explain how uno was ranked when he was 2-2 in hos previous fights with no top wins.

Thomas fighting in his first ufc fight ever....

And who did Ludwig, serra, Stevenson, Florian or Sanchez ever beat at lw?? ?

And who is this ranked mw he beat?? Lol.

The UFC LW division back then was filled with a bunch of fighters that hadn't done anything at lw. They were marketed up to fight bj to sell ppv

And what is BJs LW record? Like 10-3-1 or something like that??? With Sherk or Florian being his second best win??

Nowhere near goat lw and it's an embarrassment to even include him over other fighters in the p4p debate

Please explain how Sherk was a top 10 lw when he had one fight at lw and it was against an unranked fighter

Explain how uno was ranked when he was 2-2 in hos previous fights with no top wins.

Thomas fighting in his first ufc fight ever....

And who did Ludwig, serra, Stevenson, Florian or Sanchez ever beat at lw?? ?

They were top 10 because the prominent websites, publications, and pundits put them in the top 10 rankings. The same way it gets done today.

Sherk was champ btw.

And who is this ranked mw he beat?? Lol.

Rodrigo Gracie. He also got robbed by Lyoto freaking Machida at LHW.

The UFC LW division back then was filled with a bunch of fighters that hadn't done anything at lw. They were marketed up to fight bj to sell ppv

If Penn and Sherk aren't very good then why do you revere Edgars LW resume much?

And what is BJs LW record? Like 10-3-1 or something like that??? With Sherk or Florian being his second best win??

Nowhere near goat lw and it's an embarrassment to even include him over other fighters in the p4p debate

LW Champion
9 top 10 wins
3 title defenses
WW Champion
90% finishing rate
Face of the sport

Total can for sure...

It goes like this...

1. BJ Penn
2. Benson Henderson
3. Takanori Gomi
4. Maybe Edgar

They were top 10 because the prominent websites, publications, and pundits put them in the top 10 rankings. The same way it gets done today.

Sherk was champ btw.

Rodrigo Gracie. He also got robbed by Lyoto freaking Machida at LHW.

If Penn and Sherk aren't very good then why do you revere Edgars LW resume much?

Never said they weren't good. BJ was great. Way better than what is resume indicates. I believe if he had stayed at lw he would probably be the lw goat and top 10 all time.... but he didn't and we will never know

But when talking who is the greatest of all time, the only thing that matters is what they did in the ring... and bj falls way short of many other fighters.

Never said they weren't good. BJ was great. Way better than what is resume indicates. I believe if he had stayed at lw he would probably be the lw goat and top 10 all time.... but he didn't and we will never know

But when talking who is the greatest of all time, the only thing that matters is what they did in the ring... and bj falls way short of many other fighters.

LW Champion
9 top 10 wins
3 title defenses
We Champion
90% finishing rate
Face of the sport.

That falling short?

LW Champion
9 top 10 wins
3 title defenses
WW Champion
90% finishing rate
Face of the sport

Total can for sure...

It goes like this...

1. BJ Penn
2. Benson Henderson
3. Takanori Gomi
4. Maybe Edgar

Putting bj over Edgar is hilarious..

If bj was so great why wouldn't 2 wins and 3 overall, over him be so legendary that he's automatically #1??

Gomi
Edgar
Aoki
Henderson
Gilbert
Khabib
And I'm sure there are others with better lw records.

The title doesn't mean much when you have a brand new division and they basically just hand you the title

Putting bj over Edgar is hilarious..

If bj was so great why wouldn't 2 wins and 3 overall, over him be so legendary that he's automatically #1??

Because he didn't do much else

Gomi
Edgar
Aoki
Henderson
Gilbert
Khabib
And I'm sure there are others with better lw records.

The title doesn't mean much when you have a brand new division and they basically just hand you the title

Nonsense

Sorry to inform you but bj wasted his talent and will never be remembered as a goat

Ok lets not go so far. He's top 20-25 for sure. You cant deny his accomplishments in being the greatest LW in the world at one point

Skill wise sure... never should've been ranked number 1 tho.

Let me see who all I can name off the top of my head..

Fedor
Jones
Gsp
Silva
Nog
Aldo
Cormier
MM
Hendo
Hughes
Werdum
Gomi
Edgar
Aoki
Benson
Faber
Shogun
Wand
Chuck
Rampage
Jds
Crocop
Weidman
Connor
Cruz
Melendez?
Shields?
Bisping?
Khabib?

Probably missing a bunch of obvious ones

Because he didn't do much else

Nonsense

He was lw champion. (And actually earned it) He defended it. He beat BJs second best win also. Had more wins. Less losses. Beat better fighters. Way more consistent. At the top for a longer period

Club fighter

Fedor
Jones
Gsp
Silva
Nog
Aldo
Cormier
MM
Hendo
Hughes
Werdum
Gomi
Edgar
Aoki
Benson
Faber
Shogun
Wand
Chuck
Rampage

Jds
Crocop
Weidman
Connor
Cruz
Melendez?
Shields?
Bisping?
Khabib?

I think BJ is above those fighters. Not going through all of the ones I highlighted but just a few.

- BJ Penn has accomplished more at LW imo, and he already beat Gomi....
- Faber has never touched the belt after multiple title shots. Penn held titles in two divisions and defended the LW belt 4 times. So penn has been able to hold the title and defend it against higher level competition.
- You really think Weidman has accomplished more than BJ Penn...
- Khabib... really? The only two quality opponents that Khabib has fought is RDA and Johnson, and thats enough to be top 20... And in one of those fights, Johnson exposed Khabibs weakness in the striking game and questionable chin... Khabib hasn't done enough and fought enough to be considered top 20.

Back