BJ Penn is 16-10-2

Dude helped to build up the LW division back when people talked about Yves Edwards being the uncrowned LW champ against Josh Thomson. He took crazy challenges and risks, stuff a Fightfinder will never explain.

Bj Penn record is (12-4-1) at 155 and lower

Bj Penn record is (4-6-1) at 170 and higher

Bj Penn is a legend and Hall of Fame fighter who has a lot of losses due to fighting above his natural weight class. Frankie Edgar just has his number. There's always someone who a fighter can't get passed and for Bj Penn it was Edgar.

When you consider that three of those loses are Edgar, that's impressive he was that dominating at lower weight.

aha.gif

Dude helped to build up the LW division back when people talked about Yves Edwards being the uncrowned LW champ against Josh Thomson. He took crazy challenges and risks, stuff a Fightfinder will never explain.

You'd think with UFC Fight Pass, people would at least use that before making such a shitty thread. Lets make a topic with no context in order to bash a fighter. Sounds like typical heavies style.

just let that sink in.... .

Ok I'm letting it sink in.

It's sinking in now.

Ok it's sunk.

But what has sunk is not anything about BJ, it's about a poster named snakeybizz. It's sunk in that this poster is an idiot for looking at the number of wins vs losses and ignoring who those fights were against.

If people like BJ.. Saku.. Randy.. Aren't on your list, it isn't worth viewing.

Ali was only 6-4 against Frazier, Norton, Spinks, Foreman, Lyle, and Holmes. The guy was a bum. Kimbo Slice could have beaten him. Not even top 100 all time.

When you consider that three of those loses are Edgar, that's impressive he was that dominating at lower weight.

Man, I love Frankie to death, but the fact that BJ hasn't faced anyone else below 170 in 4 and a half years is pretty important to that stat.

Exactly. Imagine how his record would've looked if he spent his whole career fighting at 155 or lower. it would be completely different.

Ali was only 6-4 against Frazier, Norton, Spinks, Foreman, Lyle, and Holmes. The guy was a bum. Kimbo Slice could have beaten him. Not even top 100 all time.

did you just compare Ali to Penn? GTFO. TS is crazy to say he isn't top 50 but he's definitely very overrated.

From 2010 onwards, BJ's career has been an aberration. That's not the BJ that is a legend, this guy as an imposter.

Now look before 2010. His career started in 2001, a long time ago.
BJ was one of the best ever. He was a force at LW and WW and has signature victories over some of the best fighters in the world, between 2001-2009.

Victories over some of the best fighters in the world?

Other than Hughes, his big wins were against who? Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian, and Takanori Gomi?

I'm sorry, but that kind of resume doesn't shout out "one of the greatest of all time" to me.

3 losses to Edgar
2 to GSP
1 to Machida
1 to Diaz
1 to Rory Mac
1 to Hughes
1 to Pulver

Not really that bad...at all.

BJ is a Legend easily the biggest star of the LW division in its early years and even in the WW division for a while, He beat Hughes x 2, battled GSP to a close decision and destroyed all the LW's prior to Edgar (who is just too fast for him)

BJ has a ton of big fights under his belt, and has beaten the best LW's in the world back in the day....but its plain as day to see that the sport has past him by...his head is just not into it anymore.

Finished a prime Hughes
Owned the UFC LW division for years
Was in fights with much larger, ranked opponents that could've went either way(GSP, Fitch)
Held titles in multiple divisions
Went on downward spiral in later years of career(happens to every fighter)

I agree he's somewhat overrated but he has a lot of fan boys and saying that on here usually won't fly well. I do think he was great in his prime but wouldn't put him in the same tier as GSP and Silva which most people seem to put him as one of the GOATS. I think his career he was inconsistent and more of what could of been If he would of taken training and camp more serious.

just let that sink in.... he's not even in my 50 greatest of all time...

its a good thing youre a moron and your opinion means shit all. mma fans who grew up watching him know how special he was. he could be 100th on your list, wouldnt change anything

just let that sink in.... he's not even in my 50 greatest of all time...

Aside from the comment being just plain asinine... it unfortunately underscores the growing chasm in MMA today between fans... First, a lot of fans have never seen prime BJ Penn... the sad reality is that his decline in skills has been so rapid, and so dramatic... last night was just painful to watch... I think Edgar was trying to basically say that in about as respectful a manner as possible, post fight...

But one of the reasons that a guy like Penn have such huge and loyal fan base, is that he simply loved to fight... anyone... anywhere... the Lyoto fight is probably the best cited example of this... he was always looking for a way to challenge himself... and his record is most definitely a reflection of that fact....

The fact is that Penn did not manage his career in the manner that many fighters today do... he clearly stayed in the ring far too long... and fought above his weight class, looking back (which is easy because hindsight is 20/20), Penn looked dramatically different in the second Edgar fight, than he did in the first... yet Penn decided to move up to 170, when he was clearly too small... and even at 170, he had a few moments vs Fitch and Diaz (in the first rounds)... bottom line, those numbers (16-10-2), are not an accurate reflection of what BJ Penn accomplished in his career...

Penn fought a whose who for the past 14 years in this sport... held 2 world titles, and chose never to play it safe... the result has been a storied career, regardless of what some sherdoggers conjures up in fight finder, his body of work is clearly respected by his peers in the sport which is probably going to mean a great deal more... had he managed his career better, and played it safe..... we might have seen a much better record, and maybe he would still be a force in the sport... but I doubt he would have made near the impact..

Last edited:
Yeah but he fought everyone at LW and WW, including winning both titles and moving up to fight Lyoto Machida at HW

I guess you think Randy Couture had a terrible career too?

Some people...

bj penn wouldve fight lesnar if they let him.

Back