BJ Penn is 16-10-2

If you're looking at strictly numbers in the W/L columns, go watch boxing. Thats what they like over there, padded record with a high W/L ratio that mean absolutely nothing because career's are built on fighting cab drivers and burger flippers. Randy Couture doesn't have a great record on paper either. Yet, Penn and Couture are the only guys to hold belts in two different weight classes. They're two fighters who fought the best each and every time out. Sometimes it went their way and sometimes it didn't. His accomplishments still put him near the top of the heap all time. Unfortunately, though, many people are just going to see that record and remember this and the Rory MacDonald fight.

Only those that dont fight care about the record. If you were any smarter you would understand that its the fact that he was champ in 2 weight classes and fought a lhw. But that alright TS you're just like a reporter, you dont understand what matters because you're just an outside observer.

Even more than that...

- He had two primes, essentially.
- Was the most feared prospect in MMA when he came onto the scene.
- Skyrocketed through the rankings.
- Won his black belt in near record time.
- Many memorable fights and rivalries (Hughes, GSP, Edgar, etc,)
- Pretty much built the UFC's lightweight division along with Jens Pulver, Din Thomas, Caol Uno, etc.
- Only lost to either champions or the elite of the elite. Yes, Jens Pulver and Nick Diaz have been elite at one point or another in their careers.
- He didn't give a fuck about weight classes.
- He never backed down, sometimes to his detriment.
- The craziest thing is all of this was a choice, he came from relatively good money and did this to challenge himself. I respect that.
- He's one of those guys that can flip the switch between promotion and sportsman.

Much respect to BJ Penn, a long and prosperous career leaving him well inside the top 50 GOAT list on any sane person's list.

DISCLAIMER: I say all this as a huge Edgar fan and someone who has never personally rooted for BJ Penn, he's had a great impact on the sport. He's had the impact at lightweight that Chuck Liddell or Tito Ortiz had at Light-Heavyweight. Anyone who fails to see this needs to put things in perspective.

That because he didn't build up his record before going to the UFC. He could have easily gone 15-0 to start his career in Bum Fights in Kansas.

bj penn is a great and a great talent but he retired for to many years during his prime.

always had a hard time to put him as the best. Gomi had a better body of work as the all time best light wight but not so much that some one cant take that spot

Penn was good but not that great people ever made him look to be. But saying "not top 50" is just plain stupid.

I know. I think even the most staunch Penn critics would struggle to put him outside the top 20/30 at least.

He's definitely top 15 at lightweight

Have there even been 50 elite MMA fighters of all time? From 1993 onward, I'm guessing? Serious question.

I really don't like Penn,but to say he is not top 50 is crazy,top 20 I would say no,top 30 I'd say probably not.But he is 100% top 50

Despite a rather "pedestrian" career record, to think Penn is not a Top 50 all-time is delusional. He faced top flight competition nearly his entire career. Just since the Sanchez bout in 2009 did he start the downward turn. No shame in attempting to defeat GSP at UFC 94, but should have stayed at LW and not return to WW. The bouts against Hughes, Fitch, Diaz and MacDonald did nothing to enhance his legacy.

No doubt in my mind he is Top 50, probably Top 40 at least.

If you're looking at strictly numbers in the W/L columns, go watch boxing. Thats what they like over there, padded record with a high W/L ratio that mean absolutely nothing because career's are built on fighting cab drivers and burger flippers. Randy Couture doesn't have a great record on paper either. Yet, Penn and Couture are the only guys to hold belts in two different weight classes. They're two fighters who fought the best each and every time out. Sometimes it went their way and sometimes it didn't. His accomplishments still put him near the top of the heap all time. Unfortunately, though, many people are just going to see that record and remember this and the Rory MacDonald fight.

LOL you dont know shit about boxing. and to act like mma doesnt pad records.

What a dumb thing to say. He was a super dominant LW, won a title in 2 divisions while not even being a huge LW and he's super skilled. Even far past his best he got a draw vs Jon Fitch while Fitch was top 5 at WW. What you say is absolutely insane

Still, look at records of current champs, not many losses for them. Good decision making in MMA can lead to far less losses on a record. Is one loss considered horrible like it is in boxing? no, but times have changed. Fighters with the requisite skills can be brought along and built at a good speed while avoiding losses. BJ with good management could have far less losses.

He's definitely top 15 at lightweight

Top 15 Lightweight? Pease name 10 lightweights that deserve to be on there ahead of him. I'm a die hard Cesar Gracie fan but you can't put Gilbert Melendez above Penn because he's never held UFC gold and Penn held it in two divisions. Melendez is a top level lightweight but in terms of the all time greats assessment Penn would still be ranked ahead of him for the time being. Now if Melendez unseats Pettisa and defends his belt a few times, sure you can make the case that he easily leapfrogs Penn because he already has a great r

Name 50 fighters better/more accomplished than a guy who held the WW and LW titles for the UFC. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Randy is slightly better at 19-11. Every fight BJ has lost has been against a former UFC or Strikeforce champ, besides Rory. When you are always fighting the best for such a great deal of time, you're gonna get some L's. I mean the Yankees have 27 titles, lost in Al Series 13 times and didn't even make it to the World Series the other 60 odd years, but I would venture to say they are still considered great.

Have there even been 50 elite MMA fighters of all time? From 1993 onward, I'm guessing? Serious question.

Well, it depends. Define "elite". Funaki and Suzuki were elite at some point in the history of MMA...

When I see '16-10-2' GOAT is the 1st thing that comes in mind

Yet he never lost to a fighter like Takase or Chonan... Go figure.

If most elite fighters fought the consistent level of competition that a Couture or a Penn fought, they would have quite a few losses too. Shit happens. People just seem to lose their minds after every fight and forget every fight before what just took place last night, even when discussing fighters' legacies.

He's basically fought top comp from day one, so his record reflects that.

Maybe he should pad his record fighting pro wrestlers or judokas with no mma experience.

Back