Bitcoin currency of the future?

Congrats if you guys made some money, but I will laugh heartily when this bombs. Can you not deny that this is a bubble and strictly speculation?

It has no backing, its not based on expected corporate profits, its not back by a commodity's supply. It is only worth what people think it is worth. And the moment people see a dip, the rats will flee the ship.
Define "backing" please. The USD has no backing other than the trust and faith of the US government and its people, both of which are a terrible backing for a currency. BTC however has the backing of a massive blockchain network that makes the currency unfuckwithable.

There have been numerous dips in BTC yet it always recovers and climbs back up. Just a minute ago it crashed from 19.5k to 16k and now its climbing again. It will stabilize somewhere in this neighborhood and resume its bullrun. A single dip isn't going to crash the value; numerous dips have already happened.

"a penny stock that worked out" or a new form of currency and asset class? Is litecoin a "penny stock that worked out"? It was originally pennies, now its 100$. How about monero? How about ethereum? All these "penny stocks" just happen to be working out?
I've been a long advocate for crypto. I'm just saying that it was never a sure thing to take off. While it indeed has, it just as easily could have failed so people shouldn't beat themselves up either way.

I've been a long advocate for crypto. I'm just saying that it was never a sure thing to take off. While it indeed has, it just as easily could have failed so people shouldn't beat themselves up either way.
Definitely. People shouldnt beat themselves up for not getting into it in the early early days. Back when you had to have real technical knowledge to even get in. But since the currency has become much more user friendly in the last 1-2 years, if you knew about it and didnt get in, beat yourself up. I'm beating myself up for not getting in january 2016 when I knew about it and had every ability to get in, but simply forgot about it.

Welp. Guess I wont be putting my money in Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Litecoin since coinbase has died'd for me lol. I've taken like 10 pics of my license and it just keeps timing out.

Welp. Guess I wont be putting my money in Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Litecoin since coinbase has died'd for me lol. I've taken like 10 pics of my license and it just keeps timing out.
don't try multiple attempts to verify your ID. One request at a time. Wait for it to be denied before trying again. The volume going on right now is insane. I just buy some more btc since it corrected back to 16k+ and the transaction went through without a problem. Maybe wait a few hours and try again.

Bad Idea. I got blocked out for 24 hours trying to do it multiple times.

Congrats if you guys made some money, but I will laugh heartily when this bombs. Can you not deny that this is a bubble and strictly speculation?

It has no backing, its not based on expected corporate profits, its not back by a commodity's supply. It is only worth what people think it is worth. And the moment people see a dip, the rats will flee the ship.

Which is exactly why it won't go down for a while. It's dipped a lot the last few months and everyone has jumped back on immediately which shows great confidence.

The fact that you guys try and explain why its doing well means you have drank the koolaid. This is worse than tulipmania. At the end of the day, even if it has no marketable value, you can put a tulip in a vase and look at it.

The usd is pegged to thousands of things, and im not going to list them here, but our economy is a machine with thousands of variables. The value of a usd is based on confidence that the machine will run more or less efficient.

Crypto currency has essentially 3 variables, supply, demand, and gamblers greed.

It is pegged to the whims of gamblers, and the moment people who get in at 14000 feel scared the whole house will collapse

Im glad you guys made money, but step away from the table. Youve landed on black too many times.

I decided to try out Coinbase since my usual exchange has gone to shit but the whole site is dead at the moment. Lotta people trying to get in on Bitcoin I guess

I'm still waiting for a crash on Bitcoin but might buy a little Eth

So what do you guys have to show for these investments? A bunch of encryption keys on paper locked up in a safety deposit box?

So what do you guys have to show for these investments? A bunch of encryption keys on paper locked up in a safety deposit box?

thats like saying what do you have to show for your investments in gold? a bar sitting in a safety deposit box? what you have to show is an exponential growth in your wealth

The fact that you guys try and explain why its doing well means you have drank the koolaid. This is worse than tulipmania. At the end of the day, even if it has no marketable value, you can put a tulip in a vase and look at it.

The usd is pegged to thousands of things, and im not going to list them here, but our economy is a machine with thousands of variables. The value of a usd is based on confidence that the machine will run more or less efficient.

Crypto currency has essentially 3 variables, supply, demand, and gamblers greed.

It is pegged to the whims of gamblers, and the moment people who get in at 14000 feel scared the whole house will collapse
Everything you've said here means you have no idea what you're talking about. You can't send a tulip across the globe in an instant as an exchange of value.

Also lol @ citing the trust in the usd. Distrust in central banking and the usd is incredibly high.

I'm about to starting investing it crytocurrency, but I want it to be safe and I don't trust keeping it on apps like Coinbase, so I'm about to buy a Hardware wallet so I can transfer the coins to it, should I go with Trezor or Ledger Nano S? I'll figure out how to use them after purchasing them (hopefully they're fairly simple).

thats like saying what do you have to show for your investments in gold? a bar sitting in a safety deposit box? what you have to show is an exponential growth in your wealth
Yeah but a bar of gold will always have some worth, even in a crash. It's a physical commodity in your hand. I worry that after a crash as a bitcoin investor you're left with worthless encryption codes. Either way It was more a data mining kind of question to help me with some decisions and possibly convincing my wife to invest.

Its obvious you cant be persuaded by something like economics so

HgE2V5x.gif

Yeah but a bar of gold will always have some worth, even in a crash. It's a physical commodity in your hand. I worry that after a crash as a bitcoin investor you're left with worthless encryption codes. Either way It was more a data mining kind of question to help me with some decisions and possibly convincing my wife to invest.
Well, if you have money in a savings account, what do you really have to show for it other than numbers on a screen? Its the same with crypto. It's numbers on a screen. The difference is that trust in bitcoin is light years above trust in USD.
Its obvious you cant be persuaded by something like economics so

HgE2V5x.gif
Originally an econ major before switching to poli sci.
How's this for economics -
$0000 - $1000: 1789 days ***
$6000- $7000: 13 days
$7000- $8000: 14 days
$8000- $9000: 9 days
$9000-$10000: 2 days
$10000-$11000: 1 day
$11000-$12000: 6 days
$12,000-$13,000: 17 hours
$13,000-$14,000: 4 hours
$14,000-$15,000: 10 hours
$15,000-$16,000: 5 hours

You guys think this will put downward pressure on the silver and gold market? Me think people will take some of their cash normally in precious metals and try their luck at the bitcoin table. Might be a good time to buy gold.

What can I buy with my bitcoin? I purchased one last month, it's worth a lot more now. What can I buy with it?

Back