Bitcoin currency of the future?

Yeah, I'm definitely not talking about Ripple, lol. Ripple was never my friend (it doesnt even meet any of the definition of a crypto-currency. It's just e-currency)

What could you confidently hold a long position on from here?

Hype accelerated prices to unsustainable heights peaking in mid-december, the market has been attempting to consolidate ever since, but can't find solid ground... it hits a new high/low threshold, retests it for a week and when it can't break high, it drops lower.

That's what we are seeing now... a new drop into a lower high/low threshold, another attempt to consolidate with absolutely no assurance it won't do this again in a couple weeks.

Bitcoin bounced from high 12s to 15 or so for a few weeks... couldn't break out. So what's the new pattern? 9-12?

15 seems pretty far away now huh?

Yeah the Coinbase delay for using fiat is ridiculous plus you have to pay a fee, but no choice if you are trying to hop on an opportunity. In normal times I just fund Coinbase with $ and then move it over to GDAX so I don't have to pay any fees at all using limit trades.

I bought a mix of BTC, LTC, ETH and NEO today.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Normally I of course do the same thing, but I had just cashed out the only 500 remaining USD I had a few days ago.

What could you confidently hold a long position on from here?

Hype accelerated prices to unsustainable heights peaking in mid-december, the market has been attempting to consolidate ever since, but can't find solid ground... it hits a new high/low threshold, retests it for a week and when it can't break high, it drops lower.

That's what we are seeing now... a new drop into a lower high/low threshold, another attempt to consolidate with absolutely no assurance it won't do this again in a couple weeks.

Bitcoin bounced from high 12s to 15 or so for a few weeks... couldn't break out. So what's the new pattern? 9-12?

15 seems pretty far away now huh?

There are other coins besides Bitcoin. I'm not banking on bitcoin, but I think it will do "okay" because it is the most well known and still has store of value. Lightning network will fix the slowness issue, atomic swapping will fix the high fees issue. Who knows when that will happen, but I'm not concerned either way. They're working on it and I'm pretty sure it will get updated, I'm not personally bothered with when.

There are a few better coins with much more solid backing (actual companies and countries with contracts) with much better application. They already can do NOW what Bitcoin plans to do in the future. THOSE are the ones, imo

I'm kinda glad this is happening. So many cocky lazy fuckers thinking they were gonna get rich quick. Guess my small investment doesn't look dumb anymore. The only true investment is investing in a skill that's gonna earn you money. If it were easy everyone would be wealthy

There are other coins besides Bitcoin. I'm not banking on bitcoin, but I think it will do "okay" because it is the most well known and still has store of value. Lightning network will fix the slowness issue, atomic swapping will fix the high fees issue. Who knows when that will happen, but I'm not concerned either way. They're working on it and I'm pretty sure it will get updated, I'm not personally bothered with when.

There are a few better coins with much more solid backing (actual companies and countries with contracts) with much better application. They already can do NOW what Bitcoin plans to do in the future. THOSE are the ones, imo

What are THOSE!?

What are THOSE!?

Post #2180 lists most of them (besides BTC), there's also raiblocks (XRB) and iota (aka MIOTA). IOTA has all the contracts and companies backing it, but raiblocks functions more flawlessly, atm. They both need to iron out tiny things but are well on track. Raiblocks is ahead on functionality and it's the indie darling of the crypto world right now.

Crypto expert James Altucher says

Cryptocurrencies are falling today as new regulations in China and Korea continue to spook the markets.

As I discussed in last week's update I believe this is a short-term trend as regulators attempt to take some of the air out of these inflated markets.

Let's be clear: cryptocurrencies WILL BE REGULATED by every single government. It's not a matter of "should they" or "how can they enforce?” etc. It's a matter of each government trying to understand this tectonic shift in the economy and how it will affect their ability to raise taxes, manage monetary policy, deal with the negative implications of the privacy inherent in cryptos and so on.

This is a GOOD THING.

Once something is regulated, the masses gain more confidence. They know their government is paying attention and, in an ideal world, will protect them.

Whether the government actually succeeds in that is uncertain. That’s why the beginnings of regulation will always seem scary to the speculators.

But those who are serious about accumulating substantial wealth in the long run will welcome all attempts governments make at trying to understand cryptos.

The fundamental value of digital currency still remains. Over the long term, I believe these assets still have a tremendous amount of unrealized potential.

I advise readers to continue to hold their positions in bitcoin and ethereum. In fact, if you've been looking to add to your position, you may want to consider buying the two coins at new lower prices.

hold your position..
and maybe adds some coins at the lower price..

Interesting article regarding Bitcoin showing that it was likely one person that drove Bitcoin from $150 to $1,000:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/15/r...person-likely-drove-bitcoin-from-150-to-1000/

To its proponents, the cryptocurrency Bitcoin offers the potential to disrupt payment systems and traditional currencies. It has also been subject to security breaches and wild price fluctuations. This paper identifies and analyzes the impact of suspicious trading activity on the Mt. Gox Bitcoin currency exchange, in which approximately 600,000 bitcoins (BTC) valued at $188 million were fraudulently acquired. During both periods, the USD-BTC exchange rate rose by an average of four percent on days when suspicious trades took place, compared to a slight decline on days without suspicious activity. Based on rigorous analysis with extensive robustness checks, the paper demonstrates that the suspicious trading activity likely caused the unprecedented spike in the USD-BTC exchange rate in late 2013, when the rate jumped from around $150 to more than $1,000 in two months.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304393217301666

I'm sure this kind of thing still goes on with a lot of the alt coins.

25% drop in a single day eh? I don't even think the old Zimbabwe dollar was that volatile. If this is the future "currency", I want no part of it.

Funny how crypto fanboys gloat about how it will replace government fiat currency, and yet they can't stop measuring their fool's gold in USD. Let's be clear, blockchain as a technology has great potential in the coming years. The coins themselves not so much. I'm not hating the technology behind it. I'm hating the mania and irrational speculation. Hopefully when the hype dies down, real innovations can begin.

25% drop in a single day eh? I don't even think the old Zimbabwe dollar was that volatile. If this is the future "currency", I want no part of it.

Funny how crypto fanboys gloat about how it will replace government fiat currency, and yet they can't stop measuring their fool's gold in USD. Let's be clear, blockchain as a technology has great potential in the coming years. The coins themselves not so much. I'm not hating the technology behind it. I'm hating the mania and irrational speculation. Hopefully when the hype dies down, real innovations can begin.

It actually dropped about this much a few weeks back, but shot back up about two hours later.

I'm a crypto fanboy. Never once said it would replace government currency. Quite the opposite- government currencies will become cryptocurrencies and retain the same level of control, if not more. The difference is that their values will suffer to decentralized currencies taking a slice out of the pie.

Although the currency aspect isn't what's got me invested. It's the blockchain technology behind it. I'm loving this bloodbath btw and I hope the arm-chair daytraders are getting absolutely destroyed.

It actually dropped about this much a few weeks back, but shot back up about two hours later.
All the reasons why this will never be "currency". Three primary traits of currency must be present. They must be widely accepted, easily traded and stable. Cryptocurrencies have none of these traits. They're vehicles for speculation, with the previous buyer waiting for someone else to pay a higher premium for some digital coin.

Last edited:
I'm a crypto fanboy. Never once said it would replace government currency. Quite the opposite- government currencies will become cryptocurrencies and retain the same level of control, if not more. The difference is that their values will suffer to decentralized currencies taking a slice out of the pie.

Although the currency aspect isn't what's got me invested. It's the blockchain technology behind it. I'm loving this bloodbath btw and I hope the arm-chair daytraders are getting absolutely destroyed.
Not gonna happen. I got news for you. Money is already digitized. Vast majority of the world's currencies in circulations are actually in digital form, and only 3% is cash. As of now, government legal tenders are more easily traded and much more widely accepted than cryptocurrencies. The scalability and stability just aren't there for these to become measurement of value. That's not to mention the amount of energy it takes to "mine" them. You're not taking a slice out of any pie anytime soon.

Harvard business review already done their studies on blockchain, and it's something that requires decades to slowly seep into existing financial institutions. If you're hoping to strike it rich in a year or two, don't hold your breath.

Can all of my different altcoins on Binance be secured on one Paper wallet? Or is there something more efficient I'm overlooking?

I'm sitting on REQ, CND, FUEL, VEN, XLM, XRP, POWR, BQX and EOS.

You can secure as many coins as you want on one wallet as long as the wallet supports the coin. For example you can't store XRP or XLM on MyEtherWallet as its not an Ethereum based coin. I believe all the other coins are, so you can store them on one wallet.

I wish I had some money to invest right now, what a golden opportunity to double your money.

All the reasons why this will never be "currency". Three primary traits of currency must be present. They must be widely accepted, easily traded and stable. Cryptocurrencies have none of these traits. They're vehicles for speculation, with the previous buyer waiting for someone else to pay a higher premium for some digital coin.

Cryptocurrency is already currency in Japan, legally, and it's staying that way.

The rest of the world tends to follow Japan's technological innovation sooner or later. Large companies from main industries are already jumping onboard throughout Europe and Asia, and entire governments including Australia, Thailand, Japan, Germany, China and some others I don't recall the names of are already on board with integrating them into the infrastructure.

It's anyone's guess at the moment, but it looks pretty solidified to me as to the direction its taking.

Back