Bisping is the worst possible matchup for GSP

The worst matchup for GSP was 2013 Hendricks. He was fast, had KO power, a good wrestler, good at getting back to his feet and he was always attacking.

Bisping won't be an easy fight but he's not as big of a treat as Johny was back then.
And avoided random testing like the plague.

He didn't. That was simple contract negotiations. Bisping was a done deal like 5 months ago, and GSP was trying to come back last January when Rockhold was champ.
Idk man, he kept talking about coming back and it seemed as if he was waiting until things played out in his favor stylistically for him. It got to a point where he almost lost his opportunity to fight for the MW title. I just have this feeling that if Maia and Yoel had won their fights we would be seeing him back at WW instead of MW. Of course this is all speculation on my part.

I think in the middleweight division a guy like Luke Rockhold would be more dangerous for GSP than Bisping

Rockhold is really tall, strong, and has good grappling. Plus he's a finisher.

I don't think GSP could consistently take and hold Rockhold down for 5 rounds and I think on the feet Rockhold would eventually pick GSP apart with kicks

Weidman may also be a bad match up for GSP because of his elite wrestling and KO power. GSP took lots and lots of strikes in his last few fights, and if he gets caught by Weidman it would be lights out

He chose to come back when Bisping won the title for a reason. Bisping was a gatekeeper for most of his career. Yes, he was also underrated by people for most of his career, but he also lost to guys like Wanderlei and Kennedy who are vastly inferior to GSP

And he also barely scraped by a very old, slow, and one dimensional Hendo in his last fight. So Bisping is still the favorite because of his size, cardio, boxing, and KO power, but he is very beatable IMO

Idk man, he kept talking about coming back and it seemed as if he was waiting until things played out in his favor stylistically for him. It got to a point where he almost lost his opportunity to fight for the MW title. I just have this feeling that if Maia and Yoel had won their fights we would be seeing him back at WW instead of MW. Of course this is all speculation on my part.
I think you just didn't follow as close as me. Last year he begged for a fight and even hired a big name lawyer and the UFC refused to give him a fight offer.

Bisping is perhaps the single most favorable matchup for GSP @ 185, at least in terms of the elite middleweights. I also think the styles will make for an entertaining fight.

It really depends on how much GSP has left in the tank, for the time being, that is still a big unknown. But if Georges is remotely the same fighter, I can see him causing Michael fits standing. Bisping will not be able to fully open up in the striking department while on constant guard against the takedown.

While I give Bisping credit for excellent TDD, I am not sure that matters too much, until proven otherwise, GSP is still the defacto king at the takedown. I believe we will see a significant portion of this fight on the ground, and how Bisping fairs on the mat will likely determine the outcome of the fight.

Be clear, I like both fighters, but in terms of styles, I just think MIke is tailor-made for GSP. Bisping is one of the toughest SOB's in the world, but he is not exceptional in any single facet of the game. On the other hand, GSP is a master of many aspects of the sport. The only thing I would give the edge to the Englishman is size, which may very well be the deciding factor.

He was an incredible wrestler... against welterweights. Bisping is not a small dude. He's actually in better shape than he's ever been in from what I've seen. The size difference will be apparent on fight night.
I don't think the size difference is that big. Bisping claims to be around 205 on fight night and one of his recent fights (I think it was the 2nd Henderson fight) he weighted 203lb the day of.

I really doubt GSP comes in much less than 200 on fight night for this fight.

Bisping is a jack of all trades, and very resilient. As much as I dislike his try-hard personality, he's a complete mixed martial artist. He's a tough match-up for anyone.

I think in the middleweight division a guy like Luke Rockhold would be more dangerous for GSP than Bisping

Rockhold is really tall, strong, and has good grappling. Plus he's a finisher.

I don't think GSP could consistently take and hold Rockhold down for 5 rounds and I think on the feet Rockhold would eventually pick GSP apart with kicks

Weidman may also be a bad match up for GSP because of his elite wrestling and KO power. GSP took lots and lots of strikes in his last few fights, and if he gets caught by Weidman it would be lights out

He chose to come back when Bisping won the title for a reason. Bisping was a gatekeeper for most of his career. Yes, he was also underrated by people for most of his career, but he also lost to guys like Wanderlei and Kennedy who are vastly inferior to GSP

And he also barely scraped by a very old, slow, and one dimensional Hendo in his last fight. So Bisping is still the favorite because of his size, cardio, boxing, and KO power, but he is very beatable IMO

Seems like Bisbing's weakness is a big puncher with a good right hand and GSP doesn't fit that description. Even in the Kennedy fight, he got cracked clean by a big overhand right before getting taken down. I am betting on Bisbing.

Back