Biscuitsbrah 2nd and 3rd MMA fights

Yea. I worked on it for a little bit but in preparing for fights ive gotten enough head trauma for now. I feel like it definitely translates to fighting mma the quickest (biggest upside) but I feel like I can still work on other areas of my game and then get my boxing to a higher level when I'm really ready to sacrifice my brain like how tj dillashaw does vs guys like mm or Jon Jones who really aren't good boxers but are better in other areas.

What do you think? Can boxing even be trained without too much brain damage? I can work form and bag work/pads quite often but the real improvement probably comes from going to a boxing gym and training with/sparring actual boxers... right?

Don't get me wrong I'm always working on 'hands' but maybe just not pure boxing for now.
I think I'm gonna hold off for now, but hopefuky around October-December I'll train boxing seriously, maybe take a boxing fight

If you only do drills and light sparring I think you can avoid brain damage altogether. Different people's brain's have different sensitivities when it comes to that kind of stuff, however. Depends on an individual's unique set of genetics I guess

Drills and visualization should do most of the work, and then light (but nearly full speed) spars shouldn't cause any brain trauma, in fact it should be the same or less than kickboxing imo (cause no kicks to the head).

You don't need to spar a lot, only to test the drills, etc. if you've been practicing those a lot. Doing jabs-only spars would sharpen you up a lot, after that-- the other punches are slower so its not hard to adjust. If jabs are making you forget stuff, then yeah, better dial that down in frequency and take it easy. I don't think constant sparring is that great, it's the drills that make you sharper for the most part, from what I've seen. The sparring just gets you an idea of where to improve/adjust.

Anyways, trust your own intuition because no one else is going to hold themselves responsible for what you have to deal with or where things get you.

Some thoughts in general;

If you have strong grappling, you can feel free to throw kicks more or less with impunity, since guys that would want to strike with you usually won't have the stones to try and counter you with a takedown, and the ones that do have the stones usually won't be looking to strike anyways. See for instance Ryan Hall, or Fabricio Werdum, or Luke Rockhold.

Kicks to the open side are super effective. In a standard closed stance matchup (ortho vs ortho or southpaw vs southpaw), this generally means gitting gud at your lead leg roundhouse/switch kick. The few guys who actually take the time to refine this technique in mma often find a home for it nearly at will. See for instance Rafael Lovato Jr.'s last fight, or Donald Cerrone's fights with both Matt Brown and Rick Storey.

If you have a good teep, this then also synergizes for question mark kicks (see for instance: Holly Holm's KO of Betch).

In the third fight the guy threatened you a few times with wild crosses. You didnt get coldcocked which is good, but didnt really punish him for it either. A very good drill you can do with a parter which i think is essential for mma is for him to throw an overhand, while you duck under and hit a kneetap or sweep single (aka the Tyrone Woodley drill). Keep doing that over and over in training and itle be automatic on fight night.

The body jab is a very good low risk high percentage punch, and if opponents start overreacting too it, that then sets up other stuff.

Also make a note of all the moments where the fighters 'fall' into clinches.

The lead 2 is in fact a most effective method of getting inside. In closed stance matchup, you throw, dip, and weave outside their lead shoulder, as your trail leg steps up, moving into the clinch. This often also puts you into a dominant back angle for a takedown like the ko uchi gaki/gari, or to blindside them with a puch, kick, or knee. The behavior is somewhat different in an open stance matchup. In some ways it is actually even safer, as your head does not have to cross the centerline to weave outside his lead shoulder. Because your lead leg and his lead leg is mirrored however, it can become awkward to actually fully step around outside like in a closed stance matchup. In this case, it is often easier to simply follow through with your duck fully and shoot in on his hips, as, since your head again is not crossing the centerline, you are moving away from his power side, taking away the knee threat.

Floyd Mayweather would use this tactic extensively in his fights to make himself safe while throwing his lead right, and deny his opponent an opportunity to counterstrike by stifling them with the clinch (and setup cheeky punches on the disengage).

For such reasons the principles behind this is also a common tactic in combat sambo, called here a 'casting punch', where the real reward of course was seen as getting into the clinch in good position in the first place. Fedor Emelianenko used this tactic extensively.

As a general rule, i belive it is preferable to slip punches to the outside, as, even if in the case it were a feint, you would still not be in a position to be as easily hit by the other side, and, in case it were not a feint, a back angle is generally stronger.

Joe Louis pretty much made a career out of playing off his opponents jab (left hand lead) in this manner; with either simultaneous jab (jab while slipping outside his opponents jab), or delayed counter (slip the jab, loading his rear hip, then coming back with the cross [and giving him his nickname]).

Against right hand leads, he in fact often employed much the same motions: slipping outside the opponents left and countering, since, southpaws less often develop into prodigious jabbers, as, they more often match up against left hand leads, and the mirrored lead hands often end up jamming each other. As a flip side example, Conor McGregor would use this tactic extensively against left hand lead fighters, slipping outside the opponents right, and returning with a cross.

Because of that same commonality of open stance matchups though, many southpaws also in fact get into the bad habit of reaching out with their lead hand, to stuff their opponents lead hand. Until they encounter a fighter with the good habit of feinting their jab, whereupon they will duly stick their hand out on reaction to jam the phantom jab, whereupon they will duly get knocked out by the trail hand overhand. See for instance, Lawler vs Woodley.

Last edited:
Some thoughts in general;

If you have strong grappling, you can feel free to throw kicks more or less with impunity, since guys that would want to strike with you usually won't have the stones to try and counter you with a takedown, and the ones that do have the stones usually won't be looking to strike anyways. See for instance Ryan Hall, or Fabricio Werdum, or Luke Rockhold.

Kicks to the open side are super effective. In a standard closed stance matchup (ortho vs ortho or southpaw vs southpaw), this generally means gitting gud at your lead leg roundhouse/switch kick. The few guys who actually take the time to refine this technique in mma often find a home for it nearly at will. See for instance Rafael Lovato Jr.'s last fight, or Donald Cerrone's fights with both Matt Brown and Rick Storey.

If you have a good teep, this then also synergizes for question mark kicks (see for instance: Holly Holm's KO of Betch).

In the third fight the guy threatened you a few times with wild crosses. You didnt get coldcocked which is good, but didnt really punish him for it either. A very good drill you can do with a parter which i think is essential for mma is for him to throw an overhand, while you duck under and hit a kneetap or sweep single (aka the Tyrone Woodley drill). Keep doing that over and over in training and itle be automatic on fight night.

The body jab is a very good low risk high percentage punch, and if opponents start overreacting too it, that then sets up other stuff.

Also make a note of all the moments where the fighters 'fall' into clinches.

The lead 2 is in fact a most effective method of getting inside. In closed stance matchup, you throw, dip, and weave outside their lead shoulder, as your trail leg steps up, moving into the clinch. This often also puts you into a dominant back angle for a takedown like the ko uchi gaki/gari, or to blindside them with a puch, kick, or knee. The behavior is somewhat different in an open stance matchup. In some ways it is actually even safer, as your head does not have to cross the centerline to weave outside his lead shoulder. Because your lead leg and his lead leg is mirrored however, it can become awkward to actually fully step around outside like in a closed stance matchup. In this case, it is often easier to simply follow through with your duck fully and shoot in on his hips, as, since your head again is not crossing the centerline, you are moving away from his power side, taking away the knee threat.

Floyd Mayweather would use this tactic extensively in his fights to make himself safe while throwing his lead right, and deny his opponent an opportunity to counterstrike by stifling them with the clinch (and setup cheeky punches on the disengage).

For such reasons the principles behind this is also a common tactic in combat sambo, called here a 'casting punch', where the real reward of course was seen as getting into the clinch in good position in the first place. Fedor Emelianenko used this tactic extensively.

As a general rule, i belive it is preferable to slip punches to the outside, as, even if in the case it were a feint, you would still not be in a position to be as easily hit by the other side, and, in case it were not a feint, a back angle is generally stronger.

Joe Louis pretty much made a career out of playing off his opponents jab (left hand lead) in this manner; with either simultaneous jab (jab while slipping outside his opponents jab), or delayed counter (slip the jab, loading his rear hip, then coming back with the cross [and giving him his nickname]).

Against right hand leads, he in fact often employed much the same motions: slipping outside the opponents left and countering, since, southpaws less often develop into prodigious jabbers, as, they more often match up against left hand leads, and the mirrored lead hands often end up jamming each other. As a flip side example, Conor McGregor would use this tactic extensively against left hand lead fighters, slipping outside the opponents right, and returning with a cross.

Because of that same commonality of open stance matchups though, many southpaws also in fact get into the bad habit of reaching out with their lead hand, to stuff their opponents lead hand. Until they encounter a fighter with the good habit of feinting their jab, whereupon they will duly stick their hand out on reaction to jam the phantom jab, whereupon they will duly get knocked out by the trail hand overhand. See for instance, Lawler vs Woodley.

Thanks for that. I love kicking because it's one of my stronger weapons to control distance and as my ground game and takedown defense improves I'm sure I can throw that lead roundhouse to the body/head more. (A roundhouse KO would be amazing)

I also always punch into the clinch because I'm so damn short and you have to get almost perfect range to close distance on your punches without ending up falling into the clinch. So punches to advantageous clinch positions would help me a lot. Just not familiar with much besides a stepping 2 honest

1st vid - don't circle with him. Cut him off. I know it's harder in an octagon but still doable and better than circling with him.

2nd vid- Same with the first vid, you back away waay too much. That guy is over throwing those hooks and they're super short. Easily make him dodge and counter him. You're moving a lot, not sure if you even notice it during the fight. You move a lot. I guess it can be a good thing. I like to be more calm but I train Muay Thai.

Still watching the 2nd vid. Oh man, are you flinchy. You flinched so much on a feint. Work on some pocket fighting. That guy should be very easy to counter.

Omg those inside leg kicks..How's your leg man? did you see them coming? Learn to counter/defend against those.

Good job!! You're a beast. That's some Cowboy Cerrone fight schedule you got going on there.

Last edited:
Regarding sparring in boxing. Imo your biggest challenge will be to find a proper gym and coach. Then learn the basics with a pure technique. That itself will take an year. You do not really need to spar. You can try light spars or jab spars. But that's about it. Take boxing as more of an art than a competitive sport. There is just way too much to be learned.

1st vid - don't circle with him. Cut him off. I know it's harder in an octagon but still doable and better than circling with him.

2nd vid- Same with the first vid, you back away waay too much. That guy is over throwing those hooks and they're super short. Easily make him dodge and counter him. You're moving a lot, not sure if you even notice it during the fight. You move a lot. I guess it can be a good thing. I like to be more calm but I train Muay Thai.

Still watching the 2nd vid. Oh man, are you flinchy. You flinched so much on a feint. Work on some pocket fighting. That guy should be very easy to counter.

Omg those inside leg kicks..How's your leg man? did you see them coming? Learn to counter/defend against those.

Good job!! You're a beast. That's some Cowboy Cerrone fight schedule you got going on there.
Thanks man. Need to work on upper body movement and then counters instead of moving my feet all the time... one day. And my leg is fine, he was throwing it full power but it wasn't clean kicks. If I checked any of those its guaranteed he would have stopped throwing them though.

It was clear to me in both of those fights that you had much better composure than your opponents. Couple that with your better footwork and clearly better grappling. These guys were pretty wild and easy to beat with a measured approach.

The only thing that I noticed is that you do flinch a little and do not seem comfortable in the pocket. These guys just couldn't get in the pocket easily. I think you'd have trouble with someone with a wrestling base who can sprawl and brawl.

Nice pressure. You did a good job in that 3rd fight punishing his kicks too. Threw him off balance and went on the counters repeatedly. That sequence in the end 5:45 was a good one. You slipped your head forward, he thought you were in range and went to counter you but you pulled back to let him miss, then went on to punish him afterward. He was timing the overhand quite a lot in the early start, you should definitely keep using things like this to bait out his counter and punish him for it.

The main thing I notice from the 2nd fight was that your opponent had a bad habit of dropping that rear hand every time he jabs. It looks like you may have had the opportunity to counter with a pivoting lead hook. That way you could bypass his jab while exploiting that opening.

Wow thank you Sano that's high praise coming from you, I really do appreciate your insight.
To be honest it's not like im fighting super good guys, my opponent was around 3-13.
My coaches believe in building me up very slowly and I would have to agree.

I'm 24 turning 25 in October so I'm not exactly young either.
I hope your head is doing better man, injuries is really the worst. Nothing more important than health imo.

24 is pretty young dude. I'm looking to take my first fight later this year at 35. Now that shit is old!

Beautiful foot sweep in the first round of the second fight. Your takedowns flow really nicely with your striking. Wrong forum, but I think you need to be a little more assertive on getting upper body control after you force to half guard when passing. You were getting the underhook pretty well but you weren't connecting your hands, if you can connect your hands with the underhook + cross face it should be very easy to pass directly to mount. But overall you looked awesome.

Nice pressure. You did a good job in that 3rd fight punishing his kicks too. Threw him off balance and went on the counters repeatedly. That sequence in the end 5:45 was a good one. You slipped your head forward, he thought you were in range and went to counter you but you pulled back to let him miss, then went on to punish him afterward. He was timing the overhand quite a lot in the early start, you should definitely keep using things like this to bait out his counter and punish him for it.

The main thing I notice from the 2nd fight was that your opponent had a bad habit of dropping that rear hand every time he jabs. It looks like you may have had the opportunity to counter with a pivoting lead hook. That way you could bypass his jab while exploiting that opening.
Thanks man. What do you think is a good counter to the over hand? Only thing I can think of is a takedown right now. Also, id love to inside slip to left hook, I have a problem with inside slipping cuz I'm afraid to get hit with a right hand, but I'm gonna start practicing it

24 is pretty young dude. I'm looking to take my first fight later this year at 35. Now that shit is old!

Beautiful foot sweep in the first round of the second fight. Your takedowns flow really nicely with your striking. Wrong forum, but I think you need to be a little more assertive on getting upper body control after you force to half guard when passing. You were getting the underhook pretty well but you weren't connecting your hands, if you can connect your hands with the underhook + cross face it should be very easy to pass directly to mount. But overall you looked awesome.
Hey thanks man. I also train with a 38 year old and he gives everyone in the gym a run for their money, his only problem is cardio, but I'm not sure if it's age related or not (he only trains 2-3 a week)
And he doesn't have nearly the grappling base you have.

I only post this in the stand up forum because I think it's more likely to get advice than the grappling forum, I lurk there just as much as here. Any mma related advice is always welcome.
So what you're saying is when im in that open kind of half guard to connect my hands basically flatten his back to the mat and slide right into mount?
Maybe tripod up when doing it?

Hey thanks man. I also train with a 38 year old and he gives everyone in the gym a run for their money, his only problem is cardio, but I'm not sure if it's age related or not (he only trains 2-3 a week)
And he doesn't have nearly the grappling base you have.

I only post this in the stand up forum because I think it's more likely to get advice than the grappling forum, I lurk there just as much as here. Any mma related advice is always welcome.
So what you're saying is when im in that open kind of half guard to connect my hands basically flatten his back to the mat and slide right into mount?
Maybe tripod up when doing it?

Yes, exactly. Connect your hands, shift your hips towards the underhook side to flatten his hips, then tripod up to get space to get your instep into his thigh. Then just work your way to vegan mount, extend your body to flatten him, and go to full mount.

Alternatively you can chair sit under his bottom leg and just hit him, but I like passing to mount.

Thanks man. What do you think is a good counter to the over hand? Only thing I can think of is a takedown right now. Also, id love to inside slip to left hook, I have a problem with inside slipping cuz I'm afraid to get hit with a right hand, but I'm gonna start practicing it

Probe and punish

A good way is to bait out the counter. Hit them with a long jab, and pull back. I usually like to lean my head forward a little bit. The opponent is going to overextend their shot, all you have to do is pull back just slightly. When you pull back, your spine straightens out while his is bent over. He’s going to have to reset to his neutral stance after missing, so you’ll have a split moment to counter him while he’s off balance.

Jab, retreat, lead hook as he overextends.
examples:
floyd-jab-bait-counter.gif

bisping-jab-probe-bait-punish-fix.gif

Bisping used multiple counters

aldo-jab-retreat-check-hook-bait-into-check-hook.gif

You just have to be careful to operate at that range where you’re far enough to react if needed.

Timing kicks head, inside leg

My personal favorite is to time a head kick. I usually start by making them think I’ll engage punching range and then use a kicking range to intercept their counter. If you can read they'll time an overhand, you can just time the kick too. It works well against the overhand since they often slip their head right into the kick. You just use a traditional head kick in an orthodox vs. orthodox. Against orthodox vs southpaw, I use a step up head kick. I use head movement to disguise the footwork in order to set up the step-up.
jeremy-stevens-head-kick-ko-slow.gif

just make sure that lead hand protects the centerline

The inside leg kick. You can build off combos from breaking their stance too.
alvarez-inside-leg-kicks-conor.gif

These are some of my favorites. There are other nice ways too that involve blocking, but I personally don’t like absorbing powershots.

The other option is to time a kick while they put their weight on their lead leg. It’s easier to sweep them off balance like that.

The other safe method is to use feints to throw off their counter rhythm. There's a ton of variations for doing this, but it looks like you already have ways of doing it.

about that slip into a lead hook you were talking about, did you mean this one?
aldo-slip-check-hook-counter.gif

aldo-delayed-check-hook-comp-2.gif

I'm usually not worried about the rear hand if I end up moving at wide angles. You just step the lead foot out laterally while slipping like Aldo does and pivot while throwing the hook. It widens the angle at which you evade. It makes it a little harder for the opponent to find the head since they have to adjust to a steep angle. You notice in the examples that Aldo almost always uses the lateral step out to open up that angle. It's like moving around the pocket. I think of it as combining the defensive benefits of lateral movement and pivot at the same time.

Hey whats up guys. Had two fights one week after the other. One last friday and one this friday. The reason I had two was because I trained really hard for this first one but my opponent was really green and he tapped to mount in the first round, I took maybe 3 punches so I was ready to go the next week.

Anyways let me know what you guys think. Im decently satisfied about the results. Came out of both fights relatively healthy. But I know there is always room for improvement. Please feel free to leave constructive criticism, thank you!

My second fight. Didnt last very long, posting more for entertainment purposes, but you can critique this fight if you wish. He tapped my chest when I was in mount so I stopped.

My third MMA fight. This is the one I have more footage for you guys to critique. Hopefully you guys enjoy! Thank you.

Do you even trane bro?

Regarding sparring in boxing. Imo your biggest challenge will be to find a proper gym and coach. Then learn the basics with a pure technique. That itself will take an year. You do not really need to spar. You can try light spars or jab spars. But that's about it. Take boxing as more of an art than a competitive sport. There is just way too much to be learned.
Easier said than done when the blood and spirit get flowing

Back