Billy Mitchell under fire - UPDATE: Denies all allegations, says info is coming to clear his name

Of course Mitchell used Mame for his score, the save states alone help correct errors in play. He's never set a high score in public and most of his vids look like captured footage versus someone pointing a camera at the arcade cabinet.

Of course Mitchell used Mame for his score, the save states alone help correct errors in play. He's never set a high score in public and most of his vids look like captured footage versus someone pointing a camera at the arcade cabinet.

To be fair, his earliest records were set well before MAME was even a thing.

I loved this documentary back when it came out but I haven't seen it since. It actually inspired me to go for the world record in my favorite video game of all time, Shinobi III for Genesis. I shattered the record with one of my best playthroughs, it was like the fact that you were recording it added to the pressure and made it such an intense adrenaline rush. I got all the bonuses and beat the game without dying on the hardest difficulty level. My record was broken by somebody else a few weeks later, whoever broke it I doubt they did it the way I did, I wish I would have just kept the tape because it was such a beautiful perfect playthrough. I don't even think that website exists anymore?(Twin Galaxies)

I loved this documentary back when it came out but I haven't seen it since. It actually inspired me to go for the world record in my favorite video game of all time, Shinobi III for Genesis. I shattered the record with one of my best playthroughs, it was like the fact that you were recording it added to the pressure and made it such an intense adrenaline rush. I got all the bonuses and beat the game without dying on the hardest difficulty level. My record was broken by somebody else a few weeks later, whoever broke it I doubt they did it the way I did, I wish I would have just kept the tape because it was such a beautiful perfect playthrough. I don't even think that website exists anymore?(Twin Galaxies)

Interesting story.

I never played Shinobi III but I remember when it was first released. I still remember it making the cover of an issue of EGM that I had and thinking that it looked cool.

As for Twin Galaxies, yes, it definitely still exists:

www.twingalaxies.com

BTW, the dude who puts these videos together is pretty good.
He really is. I got into watching speed runs a while back. This guy has done several videos on the speed running history of various games. He also did a video on the history of the Donkey Kong record, which was less biased than the movie, and had more up to date information.

To be fair, his earliest records were set well before MAME was even a thing.

Well that's the thing, I've read from other stuff on the twin galaxies forums etc and basically they think Billy is in the realm of Todd Rogers cheating even back then. Whether his scores were ever legit is now in question. The big thing to me that is a signal that he is using save states is the commentary from other Donkey kong players about his technique and that it's too reckless for long term 1 million point play and that he'd run out of lives far before hitting the score.

Do you think he's legit? If he was at some point, he isn't anymore as other players have bested him and those twin galaxy weirdoes who are in love with him backed him fully.

I distinctly remember him being a massive douche. I was kind of impressed by how much of an unlikable movie villain he came off as in a documentary.

King of Kong was awesome.

Well that's the thing, I've read from other stuff on the twin galaxies forums etc and basically they think Billy is in the realm of Todd Rogers cheating even back then. Whether his scores were ever legit is now in question. The big thing to me that is a signal that he is using save states is the commentary from other Donkey kong players about his technique and that it's too reckless for long term 1 million point play and that he'd run out of lives far before hitting the score.

Do you think he's legit? If he was at some point, he isn't anymore as other players have bested him and those twin galaxy weirdoes who are in love with him backed him fully.

According to what I've read he's hit 933,000 in public so he's obviously a legitimately good player and it's not hard to believe that he got to 1,000,000.

That doesn't mean he didn't cheat at some point though and, from what I can tell, the evidence is extremely strong that his highest scores were achieved via MAME.

Does this mean Mr. Awesome was right all this time about Twin Galaxies being bogus? I don’t know if I can live in this world.

Does this mean Mr. Awesome was right all this time about Twin Galaxies being bogus? I don’t know if I can live in this world.

Fucking LOL!

Yeah, maybe he was right and Twin Galaxies are nothing but a bunch of bullshit guys.

Is there not video of him getting kill screen on pacman?

I thought that was what he was famous for

It's weird that there's small communities out there like this where this shit seems like the most important thing in the world to them. Like these guys know so much about this shit that they've left no cunt hair unturned at any corner. They can probably watch about 10 seconds of a clip and tell you details about it for the next 5 hours.

Then again we're a bunch of losers talking about other losers on a karate forum so I shouldn't say shit.

It's weird that there's small communities out there like this where this shit seems like the most important thing in the world to them. Like these guys know so much about this shit that they've left no cunt hair unturned at any corner. They can probably watch about 10 seconds of a clip and tell you details about it for the next 5 hours.

Then again we're a bunch of losers talking about other losers on a karate forum so I shouldn't say shit.
People have different passions. Such is life.

It is interesting, and on topic, I am always fascinated by documentaries that bring little communities like this to light.

It makes me wonder what other niche shit is out there that people get super passionate about but that I am completely oblivious to.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interest, and on topic, I am always fascinated by documentaries that bring little communities like this to life.

It makes me wonder what other niche shit is out there that people get super passionate about but that I am completely oblivious to.

Check out the pinball scene if you want a really niche community. They hold world championships and go for records and everything, its pretty cool. Same with the Tetris scene (Ecstasy Of Order, I believe that's the name, is an awesome documentary if you are looking for another gaming based doc). I think the community with the craziest group of people is the Super Smash Bros. Melee players. Its insane how hardcore they are about the game and still hold tournaments for high dollar amounts.

As far as Billy goes, I used to work the convention scene for about 8 years. I have never met him personally but everyone I know who has has said he is a chill guy. Ego through the roof but a cool guy who will talk with anyone. I think his records are questionable but he did do some live ones so maybe they are real. King of Kong has gotten so much back and forth since its release. Billy claims they edited it to make him look like shit and make Steve the hero and there is all sorts of stories around that. At the end of the day, who the fuck knows with any of this. The gaming scene is bigger than ever so its cool to see a lot of people taking interest in it. Who knew video games could cause so much drama?

Just watched this all the way through. Todd Rogers is obviously full of shit. In fact, it's starting to sound like widespread cheating is just rampant in the world of video game record-holding.

BTW, the dude who puts these videos together is pretty good.

Not surprising cheating is rampant. Pick any online game and chances are someone is cheating at it and will argue to the death that they aren't.

He came across as a massive douchbag in king of kong

Back