Billioniare Jeff Bezos Ask Twitter Followers For Suggestions For Him To Direct His Donations

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
It seems that Jeff is looking for suggestions towards his philanthropic activities. He wants suggestions that have the quickest results yet long term implications.

Out of the 42,000 replies these seem to be most popular. He is talking about setting up a foundation to handle these activities.

Being the second richest man in the world has raised his profile but also his efforts to do good with his money.

Here are some of my favorites and Bloomberg's.

1 funding a national job retraining program.

2. Start a program to help poor areas have access to affordable high quality and healthy foods.

3. Help build homes for homeless or housing like apartments for people with special needs.

4. Funding after school programs for single working parents.

There are a huge number of very good suggestions what does Sherdog suggest?

1) How about more money for weapons for the Defense Department?

2) Money for a gulag system to send misfits and the homeless, drug addicts and general people who panhandle and cause issues in cities. lol jk or am I?

3) Universal healthcare system

4) Money to help start daycare's for kids as young as 2-3 years of age.

5) Money to help relocate refugees elsewhere.

6) Money to help persecuted Christians in the Middle East.

7) Money for national job's program.

8) Money to fight climate change

9) Money to make every city with over 1 million or 2 million people to have an effective light-rail.

1) How about more money for weapons for the Defense Department?

2) Money for a gulag system to send misfits and the homeless, drug addicts and general people who panhandle and cause issues in cities. lol jk or am I?

3) Universal healthcare system

4) Money to help start daycare's for kids as young as 2-3 years of age.

5) Money to help relocate refugees elsewhere.

6) Money to help persecuted Christians in the Middle East.

7) Money for national job's program.

8) Money to fight climate change

9) Money to make every city with over 1 million or 2 million people to have an effective light-rail.
Love your first 2 suggestions man. Kind of lost me after that but good post nonetheless.

homes for homeless is one of those ideas that sound better on paper than in reality

all that would happen, is that they would sell those homes and drive down property values by flooding the market. if you try to counter that by not actually giving them the home, just letting them use it, you would have a shitload of free riders who just dont want to pay rent

i can see it for people with special needs, but they generally need to live with people, not get put up by themselves

the best charities are ones that increase factors of production, such as the job training one or helping to raise children to be productive members of society

sidenote on the homes for homeless one, its an idyllic endeavor but nobody actually wants it near them. santa ana recently bought a run down motel and turned it into a homeless shelter, near the border of tustin, because nobody in santa ana wanted a homeless shelter near them, because it means a bunch of criminals and drug addicts are loitering outside their homes. so they used it as a tool to move all the homeless to the edge of town, hoping they cross over and fuck off. someone close to me has a business next to the city border, and now every night its like night of the living dead with homeless crackheads shuffling around, trying to check if cars are unlocked, knocking on doors etc.

I like the idea of a nationa job training program because it would make people self sufficient but it's only as useful as people make it. If people don't take advantage of it because they're lazy or unaware of its existence, it's kind of pointless.

And again, #2, I could be talking out of my ass, but IMO that just seems like personal choice. Yeah buying "organic" shit is expensive but you can live healthy and be poor. Buy chicken breasts and vegetables and cook it.

3-4 are the ones I'm more likely to support. Keeping the children of single parents safe and occupied while the parent works is obviously always a good thing. And housing can get very expensive depending on where you live and also, homeless people leave behind an expensive bill that they're not going to pay.

I would spend it on a women's education revolution in the subsaharan. Not only would it reduce massive intergenerational suffering in the local region but the stabilization of poverty radiating outwards would decrease the power of extremist movements in neighboring Islamic frontiers. Stop the first domino from falling and give the entire world a moment to catch its breath.

I don't want US tax money to be coerced into such causes on principal but if you're dishing out billions to charity then address root global problems.

I'm gonna set myself up for disappointment and assume he ends up funding gender reassignments, free Chicago iphones and a giant statue of Prince, christened by K-Fed.

Last edited:
There are thousands of good causes out there. And lots of needs.

as for high quality affordable foods, most people already can buy fresh vegetables at the supermarket for cheap prices, they just dont like/want to cook so they buy the prepackaged microwaveable shit anyways

PhotoGrid_1376504838777.jpg

vre_buy5.jpg

I'm gonna set myself up for disappointment and assume he ends up funding gender reassignments, free Chicago iphones and a giant statue of Prince, christened by K-Fed.

lol

as for high quality affordable foods, most people already can buy fresh vegetables at the supermarket for cheap prices, they just dont like/want to cook so they buy the prepackaged microwaveable shit anyways

vre_buy5.jpg
Yep. I'm assuming that the people that are being talked about when it comes to poor people eating unhealthy, are single mothers with serious time & money constraints who have to buy McDonalds because it is cheap and filling. I don't really know how much we can help them and how many people theu are but anybody with enough time to cook - IMO - shouldn't be unhealthy because they are eating bad.

Free wi-fi throughout America and her territories. Nothing more empowering than putting all the information in the world at someone's fingertips.

It seems that Jeff is looking for suggestions towards his philanthropic activities. He wants suggestions that have the quickest results yet long term implications.

Out of the 42,000 replies these seem to be most popular. He is talking about setting up a foundation to handle these activities.

Being the second richest man in the world has raised his profile but also his efforts to do good with his money.

Here are some of my favorites and Bloomberg's.

1 funding a national job retraining program.

2. Start a program to help poor areas have access to affordable high quality and healthy foods.

3. Help build homes for homeless or housing like apartments for people with special needs.

4. Funding after school programs for single working parents.

There are a huge number of very good suggestions what does Sherdog suggest?

Yeah, I like 2. In fact lets get rid of food stamps and make all fruits and vegetables free to everyone in the US. If you are poor, sorry, but you just became a vegen unless you pay for it yourself.

vre_buy5.jpg

Convenience factors into this, I pay 5$ for fruit chooped up and prepared sometimes, also I don't know when those prices are from because a bag of grapes is like 5$. Lettuce is now 1.79. Iceburg lettuce. The stuff that was 25, 50 cents not that long ago.

Yeah, I like 2. In fact lets get rid of food stamps and make all fruits and vegetables free to everyone in the US. If you are poor, sorry, but you just became a vegen unless you pay for it yourself.
People using food stamps spend almost twice as much on candy/snacks/pop then they do on fruits and vegetables.

People using food stamps spend almost twice as much on candy/snacks/pop then they do on fruits and vegetables.

Agreed, but I would call for expanding WIC, if we do away with food stamps, and make all fruits and vegetables free inside the US. Baby formula is expensive, and I imagine grains and protein are important in adolescence.

vre_buy5.jpg

Too much fruit is almost as unhealthy as cookies, candy.

They both contain huge amounts of digestible carbs. Corn is also a huge carb starch.

Yeah i do understand your premise. But for poor and homeless, It's not JUST about the foods you eat. It's about the ability to access them, transport, store them, and even eat them before they spoil.

vre_buy5.jpg

Beans, rice, corn, fake meat = gross
Unpopular opinion: bananas, peanut butter = also gross

It's possible to eat cheaply, I don't think those pictures are a good example.

Here is the actual tweet.

I am actually finding it hard to come up with good effective suggestions.

vre_buy5.jpg

I buy the old fruits and vegetables when I can because the grocery store I shop at only puts it out on Weds by the time I get home from work a good portion of it is already gone. Not that I really need the cheap stuff but it's a substantial savings over the regular price stuff.

A few days ago while reading about how Jeff Bezos was only about 4-5 billon shy of being the richest man and dethroning Bill Gates, it was mentioned that Jeff Bezos was not on the Bill Gates started billionaire give-away group (group of Billionaires promising to give away atleast half of their wealth to charity).

Too much fruit is almost as unhealthy as cookies, candy.

They both contain huge amounts of digestible carbs. Corn is also a huge carb starch.

Yeah i do understand your premise. But for poor and homeless, It's not JUST about the foods you eat. It's about the ability to access them, transport, store them, and even eat them before they spoil.

Yeah, vegans are known to have high rates of diabetes. (E-sarcasm)

Back