Bill proposed: "The EPA shall terminate on Dec 31st, 2018"

So the EPA was effective in preventing this?

After it was made known to them.

The states that ok'd the fracking sure weren't giving a rodent's rear-end.

The statutes can still be in place and congress can make law, but yes, we'd be infinitely better off without these massive tax-sucking bureaucracies that do nothing but provide welfare (in the form of jobs with fat pensions) for partisan government employees who vote for growth of same.

Your list is pretty good, too.

Have you ever given any thought, any thought at all, to the possibility, however small, that you might be the dumb moron?
I don't think it would hurt to get a little introspective, there. Not a bit. Just sayin'. In order to cover all your bases, you know?

Why have 1 when you can 50!!!!

You are clearly pro growth

How about state departments get together and make their own centralized rules, appointed by elected officials of each state?

And Nevada may opp-out of some regulations because they're practically all wasteland, and Montana may add some regulations for hunting, protecting their forests, public land, and whatever else.
So you want to reduce government size by taking a small central organization and turning it into 50 small disjointed organizations who could potentially step on each other's toes leading to lawsuits? I understand the whole state's rights thing, but this seems far from practical.

So you want to reduce government size by taking a small central organization and turning it into 50 small disjointed organizations who could potentially step on each other's toes leading to lawsuits? I understand the whole state's rights thing, but this seems far from practical.

What's the point of states?

The 13 original colonies were originally meant to be like seperate nations with their own laws with meager federal government intrusion.

Yeah, it means more bickering between states. So what? Federal overview has it's own huge problems we're currently living through. Time to turn the local problems back to the local and state governments where they can find more effective solutions.

how did EPA have power and control over your life in particular?

shit is too corrupt? if it is now, wait until corporations go after states (instead of having to against federal government which has more resources) when they don't have it their way

good luck.

My car passed emissions but failed visual because it lacked a CARB exemption sticker on my intake. Their BS shakedown ended up costing me like 400 dollars.

Well after nine pages of this absolute fucking nonesense at least I learned the EPA was not created by the founding fathers.

Hammermyselfintheface.jpeg

My car passed emissions but failed visual because it lacked a CARB exemption sticker on my intake. Their BS shakedown ended up costing me like 400 dollars.
1. CARB is not caused by the EPA.

2. And your failure to follow the law cost you 400 dollars. Learn some personal responsibility.

What's the point of states?

The 13 original colonies were originally meant to be like seperate nations with their own laws with meager federal government intrusion.

Yeah, it means more bickering between states. So what? Federal overview has it's own huge problems we're currently living through. Time to turn the local problems back to the local and state governments where they can find more effective solutions.
Articles of confederation are no longer in effect.

1. CARB is not caused by the EPA.

2. And your failure to follow the law cost you 400 dollars. Learn some personal responsibility.

Articles of confederation are no longer in effect.

1. "California is the only state permitted to issue emissions standards under the federal Clean Air Act, subject to a waiver from theUnited States Environmental Protection Agency. Other states may choose to follow CARB or federal standards but may not set their own."

2. I bought the car with the Nismo intake installed. Who woulda thunk an official Nissan part like that wouldn't have the CARB exempt status. Good on them for not paying the shakedown

If you are in favor of this you don't give a fuck about the future of the people united states.

I am the OSHA and environmental compliance manager for a large manufacturing company I work for, who happens to be a "Large Quantity Generator" of hazardous waste. I oversee our permits for air emissions , waste water discharge, and numerous required environmental reports such as Tier II and TRI that track chemical releases. I guarantee you I have much more experience with the EPA and state regulations than just about anyone here, if not everyone. The EPA and state regulators can sometimes make my life hell and be a major pain in the ass for myself and my company.

With that being said, anyone who agrees with the EPA being terminated is either an absolute moron or has no idea how important protecting our environment is. Without federal regulations, I guarantee you companies will revert to dumping massive amounts of wastes into our air, water, and soil. It would be only be a matter of time before we have disasters occurring like we have had in the past. Do people just give no shits about our future generations?

With that being said, anyone who agrees with the EPA being terminated is either an absolute moron or has no idea how important protecting our environment is. Without federal regulations, I guarantee you companies will revert to dumping massive amounts of wastes into our air, water, and soil. It would be only be a matter of time before we have disasters occurring like we have had in the past. Do people just give no shits about our future generations?

No. Future generations are not good for short term profit.

I am the OSHA and environmental compliance manager for a large manufacturing company I work for, who happens to be a "Large Quantity Generator" of hazardous waste. I oversee our permits for air emissions , waste water discharge, and numerous required environmental reports such as Tier II and TRI that track chemical releases. I guarantee you I have much more experience with the EPA and state regulations than just about anyone here, if not everyone. The EPA and state regulators can sometimes make my life hell and be a major pain in the ass for myself and my company.

I just assume they are really fucking stupid.

Yes!

The EPA fulfills a function that makes sense to be Federal and centralized. Rivers, aquifers, and air don't stop at State borders.

You may as well recommend that the military be disbanded and we rely on state militias because there is too much bureaucracy in the military. This is the same level of idiocy.

I thought you just said state regulators make your life hell?

I thought you just said state regulators make your life hell?

Yes I did. And not just state, but municipal as well. State and local regulators inspect our facility for compliance, but without federal backing they are essential powerless. As an example, In my state of Missouri, the department of natural resources enforces a federal law called RCRA, which regulates the management and transportation of hazardous waste. Missouri enforces RCRA, but without the support of a federal agency, the law becomes meaningless. Companies would be free to generate, store, transport, and dispose of hazardous material in any way they felt like. Obviously, this could create major issues with the safety and well being of the public.

Let me break it down for you on how this works on an actual corporate level, and I'll use some on-going real life examples.

While smaller governments are tasked with inspections and enforcement, the power inundated to them comes directly from federal agencies and statutes. For instance, my company monitors, samples, and reports our storm water and sewer discharges, which goes either flows directly to the Missouri river or the water treatment center. Eventually this water is treated and pumped out to the consumer as potable water. While this is a municipal function, it relies on federal regulations to dictate such things as the amount of pollutants coming in, as well as the quality of the water going out (your drinking water). In addition, hundreds of water treatment plants around the country would either be unsustainable without federal involvement, or their water would potentially toxic.

Ultimately it boils down to stakes. When it comes to fulfilling basic needs for humanity and humanity's future, the stakes are enormously high. If I have to roll the dice and choose between a company losing market share/stock values with ensuring a future that provides the basic necessities of life for my children, i.e. clean air to breathe and clean water to drink, I will error on the side of caution for my kid's sake, every single fucking time.

This is an interesting one. I'm not sure what's best but it probably isn't the worst thing to revisit the EPAs existence

Yes I did. And not just state, but municipal as well. State and local regulators inspect our facility for compliance, but without federal backing they are essential powerless. As an example, In my state of Missouri, the department of natural resources enforces a federal law called RCRA, which regulates the management and transportation of hazardous waste. Missouri enforces RCRA, but without the support of a federal agency, the law becomes meaningless. Companies would be free to generate, store, transport, and dispose of hazardous material in any way they felt like. Obviously, this could create major issues with the safety and well being of the public.

Let me break it down for you on how this works on an actual corporate level, and I'll use some on-going real life examples.

While smaller governments are tasked with inspections and enforcement, the power inundated to them comes directly from federal agencies and statutes. For instance, my company monitors, samples, and reports our storm water and sewer discharges, which goes either flows directly to the Missouri river or the water treatment center. Eventually this water is treated and pumped out to the consumer as potable water. While this is a municipal function, it relies on federal regulations to dictate such things as the amount of pollutants coming in, as well as the quality of the water going out (your drinking water). In addition, hundreds of water treatment plants around the country would either be unsustainable without federal involvement, or their water would potentially toxic.

Ultimately it boils down to stakes. When it comes to fulfilling basic needs for humanity and humanity's future, the stakes are enormously high. If I have to roll the dice and choose between a company losing market share/stock values with ensuring a future that provides the basic necessities of life for my children, i.e. clean air to breathe and clean water to drink, I will error on the side of caution for my kid's sake, every single fucking time.
I appreciate the time you took to write that but i still have a hard time believing the states NEED the feds. In other words the feds NEED to be in charge or our planet gets destroyed? I don't buy it

The EPA is evil and corrupt and all that, I agree. But it also does some vital tasks. There obviously has to be some sort of environmental regulation at the federal level. What keeps whatever they replace the EPA with from being just as bad?

A major problem is, they're not going to replace the EPA with anything and it will be left to the states. I'm only on page 4/9 of this thread but there have been plenty of posts about how some states will simply go lax on regulations so even if some states enact good laws, their neighbors will just negate them by being lax on pollution to attract businesses.

It's completely stupid to say states can properly enforce environmental standards. The exact thing the poster mention, one state having different environmental rules that affect another state would happen all the time. Not to mention the burden on business to have to understand every states different laws. This on the logistical nightmare of that.

Funny how "less regulation" people can't think 1 step ahead. Get rid of the EPA where there are one set of regulations and put in 50 different states with 50 sets of regulation. Fucking morons.....

This is an excellently stated point that I was going to make after finishing reading through the thread.

Back