biggest usable sword?

Tim Chan

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
xiepeiqi_sword.jpg

this would be a bagua broad sword check out the size of it compared to the old man.

Yowza that's big. That's probably the biggest sword I've seen, depeding on the height of the man. Is that seriously meant to be used with one hand? Unless it's made of tinfoil or your wrist is made of steel, I don't think it would be used very effectively.

The biggest useable sword I know of is the claymore, which can be more than six feet long.

The German zweihander used in the 15th century by doppelsoldners is bigger than both.

CowboyPete said:
Yowza that's big. That's probably the biggest sword I've seen, depeding on the height of the man. Is that seriously meant to be used with one hand? Unless it's made of tinfoil or your wrist is made of steel, I don't think it would be used very effectively.

i was shown a way to use the blood groove as a handle(unorthodoxed by effective) and there are soem one handed moves you can do with it.

you can swing it with 2 hands like most 2 handed swords but that's hard to do by itself. it is great for building power.

You gotta love a guy whose sword looks like an airplane wing or a propeller blade.

Well, I was gonna say "2-handed Scottish claymore" (the older version, not the later single-handed, basket-hilt one) until I clicked on the thread and saw the dude hefting a sword that makes one of those look like something you'd use to spear martini olives with.

how can this old man hold it up like that? WOW. he is a stud.

Sohei said:
The German zweihander used in the 15th century by doppelsoldners is bigger than both.

I saw one of those in the Philadelphia Art Museum... it looked like it was easily 40 lbs.

Sorry, but looking at the age of guy holding that sword and the way he's sitting, I'd venture to guess that it's an aluminum form/practice sword with no real heft and weight. I'd put money on the fact that it'd bend and break the first time you hit anything with it.

Sorry, but looking at the age of guy holding that sword and the way he's sitting, I'd venture to guess that it's an aluminum form/practice sword with no real heft and weight. I'd put money on the fact that it'd bend and break the first time you hit anything with it.

The Chinese spring-steel blades that are flimsy in-motion are notoriously sharp.

And there's a lot of old men in China who are remarkably strong. Doing Martial Arts since childhood without stopping helps.

King Kabuki said:
The Chinese spring-steel blades that are flimsy in-motion are notoriously sharp.

And there's a lot of old men in China who are remarkably strong. Doing Martial Arts since childhood without stopping helps.

That he's strong, I have no doubt. But take a look at the way that he's sitting, center line straight up. Now look where the center of gravity of his sword is. You're telling me that the sword has significant weight? Clean up the picture and look at his fingers. He's practically holding it with two fingers.

I understand the nature of Chinese spring-steel blades, but being sharp doesn't necessarily equal battlefield practicality. A sword of that size is not a dueling weapon, it's a battlefield implement. Until shown otherwise, I still say that thing is much more likely a sword specifically designed for forms practice and probably in no way, shape or form even close to being a practical sword.

I understand the nature of Chinese spring-steel blades, but being sharp doesn't necessarily equal battlefield practicality. A sword of that size is not a dueling weapon, it's a battlefield implement. Until shown otherwise, I still say that thing is much more likely a sword specifically designed for forms practice and probably in no way, shape or form even close to being a practical sword.

I was with you until the last part. That's a little more assumptive than I like. If it can cut your hand or leg clean off, it's in some way shape or form practical. And it can be sharp even for specifically forms demonstration.

I'm only arguing though because I've seen this sort of sword in-motion. Not on behalf of this particular picture per se. And it just so happens the person wielding the sword I'm referring to was also elderly.

The name of the video I saw it on (for reference so it doesn't sound like I'm making this up) is Dragons of the Orient, which was a Chinese Governmental propaganda video made to Capitalize on the fame of Jet Li. They hauntingly have his whole life on-film, since childhood, even doing normal shit as a teenager like reading and chillin' with his family.

Anyhow there's numerous very impressive Wu Shu Demonstrations on that video, and one of this type of sword is on there. And that dude looked older than this dude. lol

just a little related info, but i believe the german grossmesser was used to de-limb horses. i wouldn't doubt those sword were used the same way.

King Kabuki said:
I was with you until the last part. That's a little more assumptive than I like. If it can cut your hand or leg clean off, it's in some way shape or form practical. And it can be sharp even for specifically forms demonstration.

I'm only arguing though because I've seen this sort of sword in-motion. Not on behalf of this particular picture per se. And it just so happens the person wielding the sword I'm referring to was also elderly.

The name of the video I saw it on (for reference so it doesn't sound like I'm making this up) is Dragons of the Orient, which was a Chinese Governmental propaganda video made to Capitalize on the fame of Jet Li. They hauntingly have his whole life on-film, since childhood, even doing normal shit as a teenager like reading and chillin' with his family.

Anyhow there's numerous very impressive Wu Shu Demonstrations on that video, and one of this type of sword is on there. And that dude looked older than this dude. lol

Dude, I have no doubt than some old guy could wield something like that. (Well, predicating on the argument that it's a lightweight sword.) In fact, something that big is relatively easy to keep in motion once you've actually got the thing moving.

What I'm saying is that this particular sword that this particular old guy is holding is a lightweight sword for forms practice and demos, not a general criticism of swords of that type and size. Look, if it's heavy enough to be a battlefield sword, how can he hold it straight out like he does, past his shoulder while keeping his center line straight up? Hell, do that with a piece of PVC piping of that length and you'll find yourself leaning away from it. At that point, it's not a matter of strength but maintaining balance.

Cutting flesh and cutting bone are very different. But that's a different argument.

DrunkenCatfish said:

Hey what game is that? No matter what it looks fun!

Also, wasn't the biggest usuable sword a nodachi?

Nodachi.jpg

Note: There are actually much bigger nodachis out there.

I think the Claymore has the Nodachi in weight. But the Nodachi uas length. Depends on what is meant by "biggest".

Back