Biggest heartbreaks in MMA

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Which MMA fights took a bit of your soul when a fighter you like lost? Where were you at the time?

1.)
The end of the "Machida Era"

The year was 2009. I was 19 or 20 years old at the time. I was into MMA hardcore for about a year, which also happened to be around the time "The Machida Era" was coined. I was absolutely all in on Machida, and despite the sentiment that Shogun won their first match in the controversial decision that went to Machida, I didn't give a shit and was glad Machida was undefeated still despite that fishy decision.

For this fight, I went to Fox and Hound with my ex-GF and my younger brother who was like 13 or 14 at the time. Because he wasn't at least 18, we couldn't get in. I freaked out on my GF for no reason, and then rushed home and watched this fight on an illegal stream in my room.

The actual contest seemed more fast-paced and aggressive than their previous encounter. I was just getting into the fight, and then...

shogun-cross-counter-machida.gif

When Machida got KO'd, my heart was broken. The Machida Era was dead.

2.)
The end of "prime" Anderson Silva

4 years later, and its 2013. Anderson Silva was widely considered the GOAT, demolishing everyone in his path, or pulling out champion quality come-from-behind victories. His next opponent is Chris Weidman, a relatively unknown fighter who had an undefeated record (I think he was 8-0 or 9-0 at the time). There wasn't that much buzz for this fight, with the community still hammering for the superfight between Anderson and GSP.

The feelings of Sherdog and whatnot was another easy Anderson Silva demolition, but the Vegas odds did not reflect that. Anderson was a -185 or so favorite (whereas in the past he was like -400 to -600) so I felt like something was up.

For this fight I was at a bowling alley that was playing the fights with my current GF and my friend. I cannot remember any other fights on this card and was pretty plastered, but once this fight came on I was completely invested. I remember Anderson having difficulty with Weidman's wrestling, but towards the end of the first round and going into the second it seemed as if there was a momentum shift.

Anderson was having more success evading Weidman's wrestling, and it seemed like Weidman might be mentally broken. In the second round, I truly believe Anderson was in full control. I do remember his clowing getting too out of hand and recall stomping up and down like a jerkoff telling him to stop fucking around.

And before you know it...
silva-ko.gif

Always held a grudge against Weidman for this, although that grudge has worn off after his recent numerous losses.

<DCrying><--- DC's face | My face ---><DCrying>

Both of DC's defeats to Jones. Denied the man the chance to go down as the undisputed GOAT.

bj penn getting destroyed by nick diaz. bj had lost his lightweight title to frankie a year earlier, but showed no signs of declining. however, nick put such a beating on him that he was never the same afterwards.

BJ-Penn-Nick-Diaz-UFC-137.png

when Shogun loses

Hendricks getting demolished by Costa made me sad for some reason

Still can't quite put my finger on why

I think it had a melancholy feel for me because it was the circle of life: A young juicer destroying an old guy that couldn't juice anymore

^ Yeah maybe that's why :confused:

any ross pearson loss
lando
mousasi hall 1
couture lesnar

DC vs Jones 2, I was in Germany during the fight and stayed up until 4 AM and sat through Tyron and Maia, just to see DC get KO'd after outboxing Jones the first two rounds.. Even though it got overturned it's a stain on the legacy of one of the classiest and best to ever do it.

When Aldo lost to Mcgregor in the way he did, he was a doiminant long term champ, undefeated for 10 years and It's gone in 13 seconds

When Ronda lost vs Holm.

I was at home, staying away from Sherdog in particular and international media in general to avoid spoilers cuz I'm usually not able to watch fights live (timezones and shit ...). Surfing danish media only, like a boss. Long story short, the result/upset was huge enough for even danish media to make it to the frontpage (of the website version), and the spoiler hit me like a sledgehammer. I was literally shaking from shock.

I'm okay now, thanks for asking.

When Aldo lost to Mcgregor in the way he did, he was a doiminant long term champ, undefeated for 10 years and It's gone in 13 seconds

that is a good one. might be my #3. The way he was finished, the amount of hype that went into the fight, coinciding with the meteoric rise of McGregor

end of GOAT Jose era

When Butterbean Lost That Fight
BlankUntidyAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

And Hung Man Choi got dropped
req6oUV.gif

Frankie finally getting Ko'd too, MMA can be cruel

Lesnar vs Carwin

I really thought Carwin was going to wreck Lesnar and he almost did only to gass out and get submitted.
After that he got destroyed by Dos Santos and that was the end.

Back