Big Nog vs Daniel Cormier in legacy

i don't know why everyone puts so much weight in being "2 division champion". the only people i'd hold in high regard for being a 2 division champion, is if these guys cleared both divisions, otherwise, beating 1 guy who happens to have a belt doesn't impress me.

and none of the 2 division champions have cleared both divisions.

1. Fedor
2. Nog
Cain and DC would beat Fedor and Nog pretty easily imo.

The only legit wrestlers Fedor ever faced were 42 year old Coleman, Randleman and Arona, all of whom were natural LHW's and got taken down fairly easily by all three. Like Anderson Silva was with Chael, Fedor was lucky that Coleman and Randleman had bad sub defense, and we all know Fedor didn't actually win against Arona, much like Bas didn't beat Randleman. But Fedor beat an older Matt Lindland, though.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that DC is getting all this talk about being the greatest of all time and all. I don't think lot of people remember, but it wasn't a sure thing that he could cut to LHW because of kidney issues, and this guy WAS a heavyweight who cut to LHW and moved back up. Just because someone's pudgy and 5'11, doesn't mean he's a small guy when that guy is fighting at 250+ pounds at heavyweight, not to mention he got his shit pushed in twice by the same guy at LHW.

Big Nog on the other hand, it looks like lot of people are putting DC over Nog. Big Nog, for the first 9 years of his career, literally lost to one man, Fedor. He lost absolute garbage decision against Hendo, then he lost split decision against Josh and then UDed him, not to mention he won the heavyweight belt at HW in PRIDE and UFC.

I mean, maybe it's not easy to place Big Nog over DC, but it can't be easy to put DC over Big Nog either. This is some ridiculous shit. And if you can ignore DC's loss, not just one but two, against Jon Jones, then why can't you ignore Nog's? Unfortunately for Big Nog, he couldn't move up away from a weight class where he got his shit pushed in like Dc was able to.
I get it, you are a huge Big Nog fan BUT please stop.

DC himself lost to one man. The first fight Jones was high off cocaine. The second fight, Jones was juiced to the gills.

DC held two belts simultaneously and defended both. No one has ever done that.

DC is the GOAT.

Not for HW. HW has always been shit, but it just might be the worst its been in like 20 years right now.
How can it be shitty if you had killers like Fedor,Nog,Sergei,Ricco,War Master,etc...?

The only legit wrestlers Fedor ever faced were 42 year old Coleman, Randleman and Arona, all of whom were natural LHW's and got taken down fairly easily by all three. Like Anderson Silva was with Chael, Fedor was lucky that Coleman and Randleman had bad sub defense, and we all know Fedor didn't actually win against Arona, much like Bas didn't beat Randleman. But Fedor beat an older Matt Lindland, though.
I agree with everything except Coleman being a natural LHW.

The question isn’t legacy at heavyweight it’s legacy overall and I think DC had Nog beat handily at this point

He doesn't

Nog top wins: Cro Cop, Barnett, Kharitonov, Werdum, Rodriguez, Sylvia, Herring and possibly others

DC top wins: Gus, Johnson, Barnett, Miocic, Silva

Legacy has nothing to do with H2H [potential] confrontations, Im afraid...

"Legit" wrassler... is a matter of perspective... Babalu had a wrasslin´background too, for instance, and was pretty well-rounded.

In time, the Bas vs Randle scoring was kindah tricky...

He fought during a weaker era. He was pretty much done by 32 as an elite fighter. He is only a few years older per than "DC? Not is in the legends category but DC has had the better career. If he were to defend the Hwt title against legitimate contender, it makes his case stronger.

It is a much weaker era than when Nog was fighting...but DC was not done at 32...he's lasted a bit longer but still trailing.

How can it be shitty if you had killers like Fedor,Nog,Sergei,Ricco,War Master,etc...?
Because besides Fedor, if you compare it to other divisions the fighters are not well rounded at all. HW has always been by far the least skilled division

Because besides Fedor, if you compare it to other divisions the fighters are not well rounded at all. HW has always been by far the least skilled division
What exactly is it about Arlovski, Mir, Nogueira, Werdum, Barnett, etc that isn't well rounded? All of those fighters are just as well rounded as Khabib is, for example.

Khabib is a master in wrestling, proficient guard game, but has a less refined striking game. Everyone I listed is in a similar boat, but instead of being a master in wrestling they're either a master in striking or submission grappling.

There's almost nobody in MMA that is a master in all three phases of MMA (Striking/Clinch/Ground). You're generally amazing at one, good to very good in another, but you generally have one phase of the game you are weakest at.

Nog's HW legacy is better, DC did not spend enough time there.

But I'd take DC's HW legacy over old-man beater Stipe.

Yeah you might be right, I just always viewed him as a bloated up LHW with small-ish legs
Nah, he was a huge dude back in the day. He fought at LHW later in life because he wasn't as roided out anymore.

hmm...

Let´s see...

May 2005
Heavyweights
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria
3. Mirko Cro-Cop Filipovic
4. Andrei Arlovski
5. Frank Mir
6. Sergei Kharitonov
7. Josh Barnett
8. Heath Herring
9. Aleksander Emelianenko
10. Tim Sylvia

Light Heavyweights
1. Wanderlei Silva
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Randy Couture
4. Antonio Rogerio Nogueria
5. Quinton Jackson
6. Ricardo Arona
7. Mauricio Rua
8. Igor Vovchanchyn
9. Renato Sobral
10. Dan Henderson

Middleweights
1. Evan Tanner
2. Rich Franklin
3. Jeremy Horn
4. Matt Lindland
5. Ryo Chonan
6. Anderson Silva
7. Kazushi Sakuraba
8. David Terrell
9. Ian Salaverry
10. Murilo Bustamante

Welterweights
1. Matt Hughes
2. BJ Penn
3. Georges St. Pierre
4. Frank Trigg
5. Sean Sherk
6. Karo Parisian
7. Renato Verrisimo
8. Nick Diaz
9. Hayato Sakurai
10. Akira Kikuchi

Lightweights
1. Takanori Gomi
2. Yves Edwards
3. Tatsuya Kawajiri
4. Vitor Riberio
5. Genki Sudo
6. Joachim Hansen
7. Josh Thompson
8. Hermes Franca
8. Jens Pulver
9. Caol Uno
10. Kid Yamamoto

Hence, the WW or MW div. were more well-rounded than the HW one, for instance?

I like DC but it's Fedor, Nog, and Werdum.
You don't get to jump 10+ years of HW ranked wins because of 1 win against Stipe.

<WellThere>
Thank you!
I give the pride era a lot of shit, but you can't ignore a decade of dominance for what amounts to 5 good wins.

He fought during a weaker era. He was pretty much done by 32 as an elite fighter. He is only a few years older per than "DC? Not is in the legends category but DC has had the better career. If he were to defend the Hwt title against legitimate contender, it makes his case stronger.

Did Cormier even start fighting by 32 years old? lol

Personally I still rank Nog #2 HW of all time and rank him as a top 5 ATG. He just had the misfortune of being around when prime Fedor was around. DC's legacy looks prettier on paper with the 2 belts, but I still rate Nog's overall resume higher.

And how many high-level judokas/sambo fighters have DC and Cain beaten?

Pretty sure it's zero.

Back