Big Nog vs Daniel Cormier in legacy

Big Nog was an amazing fighter who I enjoyed watching infinitely more than whiny, desperate for attention DC. That being said, Nog had wins over way weaker competition than DC and usually relied on being able to take enough punish to either gas his opponent or capitalize on a mistake when they got comfortable whereas DC beat top guys in their prime outright without taking much damage.

I can honestly say I dislike DC quite a bit (more so about he became incredibly delusional and obnoxious after getting ktfo by the true GOAT in Jones) but I will readily admit that he is better than any version of Nog. Sad but true

He fought during a weaker era. He was pretty much done by 32 as an elite fighter. He is only a few years older per than "DC? Not is in the legends category but DC has had the better career. If he were to defend the Hwt title against legitimate contender, it makes his case stronger.
Daniel just defended his HW title against Derrick Lewis. A 33 year old with a blue belt in BJJ and no wrestling background. Please explain to me how this era of HW is better. At least Heath Herring, and fighters of that caliber, had a grappling game. Nog on the flip side has fought 9 different UFC/PRIDE HW champions, which doesn't include good fighters like Cro Cop, Kharitonov, etc.

Also DC has been fighting in MMA for 9 years. Big Nog started his major decline after 12 years of MMA.
Let's see if DC is even fighting in 3 years.

Last edited:
I like DC but it's Fedor, Nog, and Werdum.
You don't get to jump 10+ years of HW ranked wins because of 1 win against Stipe.

The question isn’t legacy at heavyweight it’s legacy overall and I think DC had Nog beat handily at this point

That being said, Nog usually relied on being able to take enough punish to either gas his opponent or capitalize on a mistake when they got comfortable whereas DC beat top guys in their prime outright without taking much damage.
This is a myth perpetuated by Sherdog that is completely inaccurate.
There are exactly 3 fights in Nog's entire career that are comeback victories.
  • Sapp
  • Cro Cop
  • Sylvia
Every other victory Nog has, which is 31 total wins and 11 top 10 victories, was a straight domination from the start to finish.

And your point about weaker competition is completely inaccurate as well. Nogueira has the single most difficult strength of schedule in all of HW history. He's fought more champions than most UFC HWs have total UFC fights.

The question isn’t legacy at heavyweight it’s legacy overall and I think DC had Nog beat handily at this point
Cormier's legacy at LHW is Rumble, Gus, Volkan Oezdemir, and Patrick Cummins... Daniel has fought better fighters at HW.

1. DC 2. FEDOR 3. CAIN 4. WERDUM 5. NOG
tenor.gif

latest

58c9b5f16ff80159008b5360-750-563.jpg

Jesus. These pride only fans never go away. Its over man. Move on.

You're retarded. That's like a boxing fan saying "god the sugar ray Leonard and marvin hagler fans never go away. It's over, move on."

Shut your bitch ass up...

I think DC has had a slightly better legacy with a better list of wins.

This is a myth perpetuated by Sherdog that is completely inaccurate.
There are exactly 3 fights in Nog's entire career that are comeback victories.
  • Sapp
  • Cro Cop
  • Sylvia
Every other victory Nog has, which is 31 total wins and 11 top 10 victories, was a straight domination from the start to finish.

And your point about weaker competition is completely inaccurate as well. Nogueira has the single most difficult strength of schedule in all of HW history. He's fought more champions than most UFC HWs have total UFC fights.
I like this thing...myths...

puni5.gif

Between Nog and DC I give it to DC at this point. 2 division champion who hasn't faded as his career has progressed even into his late 30's. That's a huge difference IMO. Nog looked like a shell of his former self (from taking a lot of damage, even in some fights he won). DC is as good as ever and still a top fighter in both divisions.

Nog also fought way more often and in a division that had no weight limits and had a rule set that was detrimental to his style.

jiu jitsu players who played from the guard had a dangerous time vs anyone willing to stomp in Pride.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that DC is getting all this talk about being the greatest of all time and all. I don't think lot of people remember, but it wasn't a sure thing that he could cut to LHW because of kidney issues, and this guy WAS a heavyweight who cut to LHW and moved back up. Just because someone's pudgy and 5'11, doesn't mean he's a small guy when that guy is fighting at 250+ pounds at heavyweight, not to mention he got his shit pushed in twice by the same guy at LHW.

Big Nog on the other hand, it looks like lot of people are putting DC over Nog. Big Nog, for the first 9 years of his career, literally lost to one man, Fedor. He lost absolute garbage decision against Hendo, then he lost split decision against Josh and then UDed him, not to mention he won the heavyweight belt at HW in PRIDE and UFC.

I mean, maybe it's not easy to place Big Nog over DC, but it can't be easy to put DC over Big Nog either. This is some ridiculous shit. And if you can ignore DC's loss, not just one but two, against Jon Jones, then why can't you ignore Nog's? Unfortunately for Big Nog, he couldn't move up away from a weight class where he got his shit pushed in like Dc was able to.
He fought during a weaker era. He was pretty much done by 32 as an elite fighter. He is only a few years older per than "DC? Not is in the legends category but DC has had the better career. If he were to defend the Hwt title against legitimate contender, it makes his case stronger.

Between Nog and DC I give it to DC at this point. 2 division champion who hasn't faded as his career has progressed even into his late 30's. That's a huge difference IMO. Nog looked like a shell of his former self (from taking a lot of damage, even in some fights he won). DC is as good as ever and still a top fighter in both divisions.

Big Nog was an amazing fighter who I enjoyed watching infinitely more than whiny, desperate for attention DC. That being said, Nog had wins over way weaker competition than DC and usually relied on being able to take enough punish to either gas his opponent or capitalize on a mistake when they got comfortable whereas DC beat top guys in their prime outright without taking much damage.

I can honestly say I dislike DC quite a bit (more so about he became incredibly delusional and obnoxious after getting ktfo by the true GOAT in Jones) but I will readily admit that he is better than any version of Nog. Sad but true

I think DC has had a slightly better legacy with a better list of wins.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-16-the-2-hw-goats.3851935/

Nuff´Said.

Nog also fought way more often and in a division that had no weight limits and had a rule set that was detrimental to his style.

jiu jitsu players who played from the guard had a dangerous time vs anyone willing to stomp in Pride.
kindah true, but the 10mn Rds were smooth for submission dudes...
& sub. attempts were more rewarded in Pride´s criterias (for sure they would have given the nod to Ricco in UFC...)

Last edited:
If we are strictly talking about HW, then no way that Cormier is even in the conversation. He only fought twice at HW in the last 5 years. If we are talking about career as a whole then he has probably a bad a better career overall than Big Nog having won titles in 2 divisions.

If we are strictly talking about HW, then no way that Cormier is even in the conversation. He only fought twice at HW in the last 5 years. If we are talking about career as a whole then he has probably a bad a better career overall than Big Nog having won titles in 2 divisions.
Nog was dominant in 2 Org., Rings & Pride.

Back