Big John weighs in on the stoppage...

I always say, better too early to stop the fight than too late

It was a terrible stoppage and rules are rules which Mario didn't obey, turn the fight to a NC and ban Mario

Devils advocate

Was he intelligently defending himself? Or does that only apply with strikes?

I still would have just let the guy go out.
I remember Mir got stopped because he was pulling guard the opposite way the fighter was and wasn't intelligently defending himself. I think it was against JDS but I guess he did get dropped by strikes so maybe a little different.

what the fuck was Chiesa doing, if not giving up? No different than when a fighter is getting gnp'd and though they may not get knocked out, they stop intelligently defending themselves.

Sometimes the choke isn't in all the way, the angles are slightly off, you have a bit of breathing room, arms begin to tire and chokes loosen. The choke was at a weird angle and Lee was cranking it hard but Chiesa was in it for a while and hadn't tapped or gone unconscious. Sure it's easy to say "Chiesa would have lost anyways" or "he was about to go out" but you don't know, and it's Chiesa's right to be given that chance. Imagine if in the first Thompson vs Woodley fight they stopped it in the middle of guillotine because Thompson wasn't "defending himself" are you fucking stupid?

I've watched it a couple of times and I can see how it looked like he went out even though it's obvious he wasn't because of how quick he popped up

Refs need to wait till the body starts to twitch and convulse to be sure.

Ok people who are saying it should be a NC are crazy. I think Mario should have let it go longer and maybe it goes to the end of the round. But seriously, he did go limp, do people not see that?

If you don't want the fight stopped, then don't fake tap twice. FFS we've even seen a fight stopped on a single "tap" that could have been just checking the opponent position or incidental contact.
Go to your room

You guys are nuts. You're saying that if a guy is being choked out and is two seconds away from dying and the ref stops it prematurely and ROBS the fighter performing the choke (the choker, let's say) of his clear win, then instead of it being a controversial win, the choker should be left with a no contest??????

????

Is it not bad enough that he's robbed of a clear win and it's downgraded to a controversial win? He should get downgraded further to a no contest?

Lee beat Chiessa. That much was clear. Sure, the ref jumped in 3 seconds early and that sucks. We all agree. But the victim here is Lee, not Chiessa. Chiessa was dead. A rematch is nonsense. He lost that fight fairly and if anything Mario helped him by giving him a soapbox to stand on and talk pure shit.

I like Chiessa but he died in there and Lee killed him. He should not get a rematch and it should not be a no-contest.

And yes, I'm agreeing the call was premature but it was the inevitably correct call. Just too early. He had seconds of eye-popping life left in him during that death process.

He stopped defending.
His hands just hung there in the air in a "hovering " position like many do right before they tap.
On top of that while his hands were not defending and just hovering they moved back and forth in a way that made it look like one of those taps where the person is trying to stop themselves from tapping bit can't so it looks like a half hearted tap.

Given the circumstances it was not a bad stoppage considering what the ref saw.
If he never stopped defending the fight wouldn't have been stopped.
It's all his fault and he has nothing to complain about.

You can't decide to just stop defending and let your arms go limp moving back and forth making it look like you tapped.

You guys are nuts. You're saying that if a guy is being choked out and is two seconds away from dying and the ref stops it prematurely and ROBS the fighter performing the choke (the choker, let's say) of his clear win, then instead of it being a controversial win, the choker should be left with a no contest??????

????

Is it not bad enough that he's robbed of a clear win and it's downgraded to a controversial win? He should get downgraded further to a no contest?

Lee beat Chiessa. That much was clear. Sure, the ref jumped in 3 seconds early and that sucks. We all agree. But the victim here is Lee, not Chiessa. Chiessa was dead. A rematch is nonsense. He lost that fight fairly and if anything Mario helped him by giving him a soapbox to stand on and talk pure shit.

I like Chiessa but he died in there and Lee killed him. He should not get a rematch and it should not be a no-contest.

And yes, I'm agreeing the call was premature but it was the inevitably correct call. Just too early. He had seconds of eye-popping life left in him during that death process.

Totally agree. That fight was over in 2-3 seconds.
He literally just stopped defending a choke and let his arms hang there.

It was a second or 2 early but that didn't change the outcome.

If you don't want the fight stopped, then don't fake tap twice. FFS we've even seen a fight stopped on a single "tap" that could have been just checking the opponent position or incidental contact.

You're an idiot

He stopped defending.
His hands just hung there in the air in a "hovering " position like many do right before they tap.
On top of that while his hands were not defending and just hovering they moved back and forth in a way that made it look like one of those taps where the person is trying to stop themselves from tapping bit can't so it looks like a half hearted tap.

Given the circumstances it was not a bad stoppage considering what the ref saw.
If he never stopped defending the fight wouldn't have been stopped.
It's all his fault and he has nothing to complain about.

You can't decide to just stop defending and let your arms go limp moving back and forth making it look like you tapped.
You're an idiot

what the fuck was Chiesa doing, if not giving up? No different than when a fighter is getting gnp'd and though they may not get knocked out, they stop intelligently defending themselves.
Yes it is different. Read Johns tweet

He went out.

Get over it.

Big John also said if a fighter stops defending himself they need to stop it which you left out no surprisingly.
Only that he wasn't out. Right after the choke was released Chiesa protested.

Remember the first Woodley-Thompson bout: Wonderboy was trapped in a wicked guillotine that seemed super tight. He ended up on top of Woodley.

You're an idiot

Good argument jerk off.

I've watched it 10 times.

He stops defending and let's his hands hover in the air and his hand sways back and forth it looks like a tap looks when someone is trying not to tap. You know, like we've seen before 1000x.

It's his fault it looked like that to the ref, not the refs fault.

Bunch of whiny pussies who can't handle that Kevin won imo.

"Duh well he was about to escape !"

Yeah because right before youre going to escape the most common move is to stop fighting and let your arms go limp.
<LikeReally5>
<LikeReally5><LikeReally5>

Back