Big John weighs in on the stoppage...

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
...or rather, reminds everyone of the rules.

Which backs what many (including myself) have been saying all night.

In submission finishes, the ref can only stop the fight if the fighter taps, a limb breaks, or loses consciousness completely.

'He was going out' doesn't count.

It's not like when a fighter is being beat on and the ref uses his judgement to guage if the fighter is intelligently defending himself.

With submissions, there's a tap, a bone breaks, or a fighter goes limp. Without one of these three, it's a bad stoppage.

Must be overturned to a No Contest.

Duh. Shertards around here gonna Shertard.

i agree, hipsters like pretending that they know better than everyone else

i think chiesa was going out, he stopped defending the choke, but lots of people have gotten out of shit that nobody expected them to.

referees gotta let it go until tap nap or snap

I didn't need Big John to tell me that. I already knew that. It was some serious fuckin bullshit.

If you don't want the fight stopped, then don't fake tap twice. FFS we've even seen a fight stopped on a single "tap" that could have been just checking the opponent position or incidental contact.

Must be overturned to a No Contest.

That would be the absolute best solution, but 99.6% improbability of happening.

Athletic Commissions have let far far worse situations be unreviewed.

Dislocated articulation =/= broken bone.

But yes, that stoppage was utter bullshit.

Well then if the commission doesn't overturn it that will be some legit bullshit.

Guess a rematch it is. Not so sure it should be a main event though.

In submission finishes, the ref can only stop the fight if the fighter taps, a limb breaks, or loses consciousness completely.

It's not like when a fighter is being beat on and the ref uses his judgement to guage if the fighter is intelligently defending himself.

With submissions, there's a tap, a bone breaks, or a fighter goes limp. Without one of these three, it's a bad stoppage.

Best not to look like you tried to tap and passed out then hey.

It's not that complicated.

Well then if the commission doesn't overturn it that will be some legit bullshit.

Guess a rematch it is. Not so sure it should be a main event though.

Not in a million years would they.

Haha, have you ever seen them?

He went out.

Get over it.

Big John also said if a fighter stops defending himself they need to stop it which you left out not surprisingly.

Last edited:
There was 99% chance that this fight will be over, but you just gotta give the fighter a chance.

Big John is obviously right. Should be NC

whatever just change it to a NC so sticklers wont be permanently butthurt. its just a technicality that wont really matter since we all know the truth, lee destroyed cheisa

He fake tapped twice and was arguably out for a split second.

I honestly don't see the big deal, since he wasn't even close to getting out of that choke anyway.

what the fuck was Chiesa doing, if not giving up? No different than when a fighter is getting gnp'd and though they may not get knocked out, they stop intelligently defending themselves.

He never "fake tapped"

Moving his hands is not fake tapping, smh

Back