Big John McCarthy on Till vs Wonderboy

Big John is a legend. Lol @ all the retards who thought Herb was it...Herb is garbage,

Cutting a guy off shows good footwork though, Till's goal in the distance battle, but he rarely capitalized when having Thompson against the cage. Aside from the knockdown nothing big happened, so you can give 10-10's or the minimum for a 10-9 for most rounds. Basically a sparring draw.

I believe he served as a judge in the early days too when there were few rules. The fact he then wrote many of the current rules and his school certifies judges is what qualifies him.

His opinion of who won or lost isn't more important than someone else. What's important is whether judges are using the proper criteria to judge the fights according to the rules of the sport. He most definitely DOES know that. Since the judges never have to justify their opinions, they can pretty much flip a fucking coin for all we know.

I've always said they should score fights as a whole. Not necessarily exactly like Pride did it but it's a better scoring system for MMA. The 10pt system is designed for a completely different sport in boxing and it promotes points fighting.

till got the decision because ufc want more stars. simple

The problem is that “cleaner, harder shots” is a matter of perception. It can be argued that Till landed those in the first and third.

Big John wrote the original unified rules of mma. Big John helped update the judging criteria, to clarify them for judges. . He also teaches a course on mma judging. The new unified rules clearly state that rounds are scored by effective striking and grappling. Cage control is only considered if striking/grappling are equal.

Effective Striking/Grappling shall be considered the first priority of round assessments. Effective Aggressiveness is a ‘Plan B’ and should not be considered unless the judge does not see ANY advantage in the Effective Striking/Grappling realm. Cage/Ring Control (‘Plan C’) should only be needed when ALL other criteria are 100% even for both competitors. This will be an extremely rare occurrence.

http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/juding_criteriascoring_rev0816.pdf

The problem is that “cleaner, harder shots” is a matter of perception. It can be argued that Till landed those in the first and third.

I agree perception is different and that's why they have multiple judges. McCarthy isn't disagreeing with that at all. His perception might very well be different in who landed the cleaner and harder shots.

What is indisputable is the criteria for how they're supposed to judge fights. People often point to "octagon control" to justify the judging and McCarthy is simply saying that's not how it's supposed to be done.

We don't really know what these judges saw since they don't have to answer to anyone but the commission. I suspect they judged it more on the fact all three were from England. :)

bj-bear.jpg
Holy shit thats BJ and the bear..
and yeah im old enough to know that..you bastard..
nice one

It isn’t more important, but it is a hell of a lot more credible.

haha. Yeah, It is. I'm just saying McCarthy wasn't claiming that. He was simply correcting people who believe that someone can win rounds through "octagon control" as a way to justify that decision.

This article is nowhere near how it goes down to get licensed. Not to mention,this article is part of what’s wrong with the judging today...Throw this BS out the window!

LOL I just did a google search. If you have actual knowledge of how it works, why not tell us?

They should probably quit with the intro to every UFC event being "A fight is judged based on striking, grappling, aggression and octagon control" then. 2 out of those 4 things doesn't matter apparantly

Back