Big John McCarthy on Till vs Wonderboy

Might as well start asking Arianny too.
This killed me
The real problem with all this is that not all the judges thinks about "Octagon Control" with the same requirements

bj-bear.jpg
Any_Which_Way_You_Can_29231_High.jpg

I go by who won a FIGHT, rather than who won more 5 minute rounds by random points

This isn't what the rules actually say.

Till was gifted a massive homer decision. This was Brazillian'esque.

I accept what BJM says because he is a certified legend and very knowledgeable, and has had significant input into writing the Unified Rules including the scoring criteria.

However, is he actually a registered judge? i know he trains ref's and does seminars on the unifed rules and their applications. Will we ever see him judging at events now that he is no longer reffing full time?

Considering he helped write the original rules that still exist today, I give his opinion more merit than 99% of MMA judges

1) hed beat your ass

2) he WROTE the criteria
This. Fucking newbs and casuals without knowledge of the sport shouldn't be allowed to post their shit opinions

Considering he helped write the original rules that still exist today, I give his opinion more merit than 99% of MMA judges

Jesus. The lack of knowledge regarding the sport and the founding fathers from these casuals is beyond contempt

What makes a fucking ref with a giant ego qualified more si

Maybe the fact that he helped write the unified rules and has been in the sport just about as long as anyone. Fucking retards on here, I swear

If one guy thinks he is always right and it's not up for debate why does every fight have 3 judges??

What makes a fucking ref with a giant ego qualified more si

He figuratively and quite literally wrote the fucking rulebook that mma is using nowadays.

Do some research for God's sake before talking about things you know very little about.

And in any case, still knows more than any of us here so there's that.

Maybe the fact that he helped write the unified rules and has been in the sport just about as long as anyone. Fucking retards on here, I swear

That dude is clueless ...

@JustOnce
Let me help you out a bit.
Just for fun, and if you question BJM qualification:

McCarthy was the most senior referee in the UFC and is well known for his delivery of "Let's Get It On!", a catchphrase created by boxing referee Mills Lane. McCarthy served as one of the head referees for nearly every fight in the UFC from UFC 2 until UFC 77, and was considered as much a part of the UFC as the octagonal arena itself as he was the key figure in the writing of the current Unified Rules for the sport of MMA, which is now recognized by the ABC and Athletic Commissions across North America. His 535th bout was the main event at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs. Team Serra finale in Las Vegas.

September 2006, John McCarthy opened his first MMA school in Valencia, CA. This 29,000-square-foot (2,700 m2) gym was one of the largest MMA schools in California. McCarthy sold the school in December 2015. In January 2007, he was awarded his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

If you still question BJMs qualification to speak about a fight... You are a moron.

John can chat that shit all he wants, we all know, as do the fighters that judges favour the advancing fighter the majority of the time.

I accept what BJM says because he is a certified legend and very knowledgeable, and has had significant input into writing the Unified Rules including the scoring criteria.

However, is he actually a registered judge? i know he trains ref's and does seminars on the unifed rules and their applications. Will we ever see him judging at events now that he is no longer reffing full time?
He probably is a certified judge of some sort, he's done almost everything involving mma from the very first fight.

Last edited:
He figuratively and quite literally wrote the fucking rulebook that mma is using nowadays.

Do some research for God's sake before talking about things you know very little about.

And in any case, still knows more than any of us here so there's that.

Hes a fucking ref. What does he know about fighting pfft, whether he wrote it or not.

Who cares who won.

When it's point fighting for 5 rounds i don't care about the outcome.

Lol big john was so awful at Bellator 200. What a mess that was.

Back