Big John McCarthy on Till vs Wonderboy

So you would take some dumb random judges opinion over a guy who has been reffing the sport since the very beginning and wrote some of the scoring criteria? Not to mention he has extensively trained in martial arts.

What world are you living in?

Hes a fucking ref you dork.

Can anyone confirm just what the criteria are to be a judge permitted to judge a sanctioned MMA contest?

Some kind of 'judge class'?

I'm a registered sex offender and I'm more qualified to score fights than some registered judges like Adelaide Byrd, CJ Ross and Cecil peoples

True or not, that's a damn ballsy line.

I think Mccarthy should stop living in a world where being a ref equals being an expert in fighting.

I think the guy that's been there since UFC 1 and has trained countless referee's and helped write the rules for the sport - including judging criterion - might have an idea of how to judge a fight properly.

If you're saying Big John McCarthy isn't qualified to judge a fight then literally nobody is.

This is ridiculous. I cant believe the outrage over the decision.

Till pushed the pace and walked down WB for EVERY SECOND of the fight. Look, I get it WB is a counterstriker and thats what he likes to do. But it doesn't look great when you arent countering shit while getting walked down until your back is to the cage.

not only that but Till fucking ROCKED WB's world. WB landed nothing that even phased Till.

not only THAT but Till also beat the FUCK out of WB's legs!

I wouldnt have been mad if Till lost since he missed weight like a dumbass, but he won that fight.

I'll admit I judge fights by my own criteria though. I go by who won a FIGHT, rather than who won more 5 minute rounds by random points

I accept what BJM says because he is a certified legend and very knowledgeable, and has had significant input into writing the Unified Rules including the scoring criteria.

However, is he actually a registered judge? i know he trains ref's and does seminars on the unifed rules and their applications. Will we ever see him judging at events now that he is no longer reffing full time?
What does it matter if he’s a “judge” or not? Judges are incompetent and are supposed to officially interpret the scoring that is awarded via rule book.

This is where the 10 point system is shown to be terrible for MMA.

The last round should have been worth more than the first 4 combined.

It was a clear victory for till and I'm glad the judges got it right despite the limitations of the flawed system.

Octagon control just shouldn’t be weighed heavily enough that even if you lose by every other metric you still win the round. It’s just lazy. “Oh, this guy was going forward the whole time, so he was obviously winning.”

Till fought very well and was really smart in there. But he still didn’t win the fight.

This is where the 10 point system is shown to be terrible for MMA.

The last round should have been worth more than the first 4 combined.

It was a clear victory for till and I'm glad the judges got it right despite the limitations of the flawed system.

I agree in theory. But still didn’t do enough in the last round to negate the previous rounds. If he had Thompson in serious trouble the way Woodley did, I would agree completely.

I think the guy that's been there since UFC 1 and has trained countless referee's and helped write the rules for the sport - including judging criterion - might have an idea of how to judge a fight properly.

If you're saying Big John McCarthy isn't qualified to judge a fight then literally nobody is.

UFC 2, splitting hairs.......but agree, his opinion should be well regarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back