Big John explains new downed fighter rule.

Soooo, does the ref has like a visual scale? How does he judge "with weight" part? 185lbs guy i would guess is pretty strong to lift another fighter just enough so he can knee him to the head, just like he did, the other hand was still touching the mat tho.....Dumb rule, either go back to what it was or go "full in" and only a knee on the mat to be considered grounded opponent.

lmfao what a shitty fucking argument.
What the fuck?
Learn to discuss.
if it was crystal clear then there would be no basis for argument, for something objective cannot be disputed

if it was crystal clear then there would be no basis for argument, for something objective cannot be disputed

Yeah, except the guy in the show doesn't dispute Big John, he just asks him to explain it.

You're basically saying that you cannot discuss things that are common knowledge and crystal clear, because there is no basis for argument?
So I can't explain to a 5-year-old why the earth is round because there is no basis for argument? lol
You are retarded.
Discussing =/= Explaining
Argumenting =/= Explaining

Ever went to school? They explain things to you that are CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Stop being pussies and just bring back soccer kicks and stomps.

This anti-Let'sBangBro shit is nonsense and quite racist

Honestly I think this kind of ties into the mentality McCarthy is talking about, basically make sure fighters are defending themselves as much as possible and depending on the rules as little as possible.

Besides the "down or not" issues I actually think a more important area is shots to the back of the head. You go back to Pride and how often were these an issue? I can't honestly remember a single fight in which they were and a massive part of that IMHO is the presense of soccer kicks and knees which ment that fighters did not use the "fetal" defence because it left them open to these moves.

That's why I tend to think theres an argument that these moves actually make the sport safer, they avoid potential shots to the back of the head which are probably the most dangerous thing in MMA and I'd say they also made a lot of stoppages faster as if someone goes down and is vulnerable to them the ref has to stop the fight rather than having someone take a lot of GnP first. You could probably could the actual number of soccer kicks landed in Pride on one hand because fighters simply avoided that position.

Last edited:
The "correct" call would have been to let the fight continue the whole time. That is not to suggest The Chris can blame anyone but himself, he can't. But that does not change the fact it was a ref who got the call wrong initially.

I think we agree on basically everything about this, i just think dan made an honest mistake and Chris was obviously trying to draw the call. You're right that the fight should have continued, but the main reason it didn't is because Chris looked for a way out

I think we agree on basically everything about this, i just think dan made an honest mistake and Chris was obviously trying to draw the call. You're right that the fight should have continued, but the main reason it didn't is because Chris looked for a way out
Completely agree.

I am just pointing out that while The Chris walked through the door that ended the fight, it was the ref who opened it initially.

I guess you have to have enough weight so that someone can't lift it up to knee you.

So you skipped the other part of the comment? We are talking about professional fighters, strong men that are capable of lifting the other guy from the floor and slam it if they are allowed to....They can "lift" the guy just enough so they can throw the knee, just like Gegard did, and he didnt even lift Weidman completely, just enough so one hand was not completely on the mat at the time of impact, the other hand was still touching the floor, many have done the same before the rule was updated, but before there were no "weight" part, it was just touching.

Completely agree.

I am just pointing out that while The Chris walked through the door that ended the fight, it was the ref who opened it initially.

That's true, but Chris did everything he could to manipulate the situation to get that door opened.Dan made a mistake, but Chris made alot more

Completely agree.

everyone - including BJM in this interview - agrees with that. he's very upfront that Dan made the wrong call. and that he had a better angle, and thinks that getting the right call is most important, even if it means ringside BJM get involved with Dan's call.

but that was never the question, debate, dilemma. the question was always "what happens / should happen next?" for example, some strongly disagree with the last sentence of my first paragraph.

Last edited:
Completely agree.

I think we all agree to an extent but the question seems to be, can the ref stop the action, consult, then restart.
I don't know the clear answer and suspect it may vary a bit depending on locale

I think we all agree to an extent but the question seems to be, can the ref stop the action, consult, then restart.
I don't know the clear answer and suspect it may vary a bit depending on locale
I think it depends on locale. In this situation he can. It's a hard job, so I can't place any actual fault on the ref. While he did precipitate the end, I place sole blame on weidman.

he shouldn't have to explain it.

if its not self-explanatory or not abundantly clear, they need to re-word it in the rule book.

This is not supposed to be the Bible where you can have 20 different translations and interpretations of the 'rules'.

He's still your boy!

I think it depends on locale. In this situation he can. It's a hard job, so I can't place any actual fault on the ref. While he did precipitate the end, I place sole blame on weidman.
A mess to be sure.
In the end I think the most important thing is for the officials to have it straight. I think the Weidman Orientation Interview teaches its own lesson to other fighters.

A mess to be sure.
In the end I think the most important thing is for the officials to have it straight. I think the Weidman Orientation Interview teaches its own lesson to other fighters.
In the end Weidman should have given the right date and just said he was in pain and needed a moment. He screwed up in a way that can't be fixed.

That post is practically a mental tap-out.
you said

"Yeah, except the guy in the show doesn't dispute Big John, he just asks him to explain it."

you don't even understand wtf is going on here, and I'm not interested in explaining something so simple to an idiot. try someone else who cares. peace.

Back