Big Fish in a Small Pond - Moving to a Larger School vs. Staying

asian-glow

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
1. If you are the best or one of the best guys in your school, how do you train to improve?
2. If you left your school to seek better training partners, can you talk about your experience?

I moved and now train at a tiny school and just train to loose less jiu jitsu before I move to a place with a better school.

You should head out. Not entirely BJJ, but it happened to me and honestly I felt I should've done it sooner

How high is the gap between you and most of your training partners? If it'd significant ,its time to jump ship or at least cross train

I did it. There was a serious gap in my skill level vs anyone in my zipcode, and that was a huge city. I packed everything in my car and moved to SoCal. Best decision in my life. Trying to figure out ways to thrive if you want to be the best in the world is a losing cause. Without the best coaches or best training partners, you wont be the best you can be. You can argue, justify, or do tons of mental gymnastics to come up with ideas why your theories could possibly work, or you can just do what every other champion across the history of the sport did. Sometimes having an awesome coach isnt enough.

Last edited:
For those suggesting cross training and competition, Saulo Ribeiro has a really cool quote. Wall of text but worth the read.

"It is not necessary for every student of jiu-jitsu to enter into competitions. Some may do jiu-jitsu simply because they enjoy gaining the knowledge. Others perhaps dislike the limelight or just don't want to compete in this particular sport. I love to do other sports, but I don't have the desire to compete in those sports. Some people don't like to compete because they don't know how to deal with loss. If you win, you're happy, and if you lose, your world gets turned upside down. That is a problem. This fear of losing scares some people from competition. Then there are those who live and die by competition, but fail to realize it is just a game. It is a game where you mix knowledge, strategy, timing, health, and attitude. Like any game, the best jiu-jitsu practitioner doesn't always win. Take the World Championship for example. 30 guys sweat blood in their training, and there is only one winner. What about the 29 who worked so hard? Is the champion really better than all of them? It depends. Sometimes, the person with the best technique gets eliminated in the first round.If you decide to compete, realize that competition is the art of dealing with pressure. Some people face pressure early in life and others not until much later, but in every case, where there is pressure there is competition. The student who doesn't compete at the tournament is still competing if the pressure is there. Perhaps he even feels more pressure than the one who does go to tournaments because he fights against himself...competes against his feelings and choices. This is the toughest opponent you can have -- yourself.Ultimately, the opponent you will face in the ring is you, because you cannot compete successfully if you do not address internal issues that will affect your performance. When competing, you will not even be able to think about overcoming your opponent if you are too worried about yourself. However, if you are comfortable with your preparation, you will have the confidence to perform. Becoming the champion is not about your opponent. It's about you.Finally, if you want to learn something about someone's jiu-jitsu, you should learn it in the academy. Many people enter competition with hopes that it will be a fast track to getting better. However, the quality of training partners actually has a much greater impact on skill level than competition does. Though competition can be a part of training, it alone will not improve technique. Competition shows such a small part of any given competitor's knowledge that it masks what he really knows. In the academy, you can see him for who he really is. You will see him relaxed and in the proper environment to exhibit his understanding of jiu-jitsu and educate you and others of its benefits. This is what will keep jiu-jitsu evolving.Competition will always be a window to show the world how professional the sport can be. But the growth of the sport over the coming generations will not be reliant on the competitive aspect."

The added emphasis was my own.

You should head out. Not entirely BJJ, but it happened to me and honestly I felt I should've done it sooner

How high is the gap between you and most of your training partners? If it'd significant ,its time to jump ship or at least cross train

I'm at a point in my school where other than my instructor, I have to figure out ways of handicapping myself physically or technically to make the rolls challenging. I admit this is an ungrateful and selfish thought, but I feel like I'm paying money to help improve other people.

I moved to my current school because my last school had mostly older dudes with families that didn't train too much. My current school has guys in their 30's who still have families but are generally younger and more athletic than my previous school. I say this to emphasize that I'm not good - I just train often enough and am young enough to where I beat the guys in my small pond.

I'm in a weird place - I'm in my late 20's. I can beat all the older guys in my school except my instructor. I also don't compete but moving to a much more competitive, younger school like Atos might be too much for me physically.

Last edited:
I did it. There was a serious gap in my skill level vs anyone in my zipcode, and that was a huge city. I packed everything in my car and moved to SoCal. Best decision in my life. Trying to figure out ways to thrive if you want to be the best in the world is a losing cause. Without the best coaches or best training partners, you wont be the best you can be. You can argue, justify, or do tons of mental gymnastics to come up with ideas why your theories could possibly work, or you can just do what every other champion across the history of the sport did. Sometimes having an awesome coach isnt enough.

I know your cut from a different cloth and wanted to compete at a high level.
I don't want to compete but just want to maximize my potential, which I think can happen by training with higher level guys. I'll probably give 10th planet a whirl.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back