Big/Fat/Muscular guy problems

Universal Kombat

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Every gym I go to. From Judo, BJJ to MMA gyms, when I roll with a little guys, or even sometimes normal sized men, there always has to be at least one guy who will let you know that the only reason you scored a submission was because of your size/strength. They'll complain about it too.

Do you guys treat smaller guys differently? My Judo coach noticed, that I, at some points, wouldn't take openings for throws or pick ups. And I explained to him why. He told me to use size and any physical attributes I have to the fullest regardless of what people say.

So I did as he says, but it has not made me a popular guy at the gym. Before people tell me I'm just an asshole that is going too hard, the gym is known for going hard and the little guys will roll at 100% with you while expecting you to "use technique not your size". I mean, I get it, you want to work on your technique that's why you're there, but since the smaller guys are going balls out, it forces me to as well.

Just wondering if you guys had that problem.

It's an ego issue not a size issue.

Listen to your coach, he's more qualified than someone whose skill advantage over you if any is smaller than your size advantage over them.

Every gym I go to. From Judo, BJJ to MMA gyms, when I roll with a little guys, or even sometimes normal sized men, there always has to be at least one guy who will let you know that the only reason you scored a submission was because of your size/strength. They'll complain about it too.

Do you guys treat smaller guys differently? My Judo coach noticed, that I, at some points, wouldn't take openings for throws or pick ups. And I explained to him why. He told me to use size and any physical attributes I have to the fullest regardless of what people say.

So I did as he says, but it has not made me a popular guy at the gym. Before people tell me I'm just an asshole that is going too hard, the gym is known for going hard and the little guys will roll at 100% with you while expecting you to "use technique not your size". I mean, I get it, you want to work on your technique that's why you're there, but since the smaller guys are going balls out, it forces me to as well.

Just wondering if you guys had that problem.
Of course it gives you and advantage, but if they're going 100 you cant safely practice without going hard yourself. You should just tell them that.

Thanks for the advice. My guess is that it is an ego issue with the smaller grapplers who do okay when grappliny amongst themselves but then are unable to amount anything against bigger guys.

I'm by no means a giant myself. And everytime I get paired off with a 6'5 290lbs monsters in randori or competiton, I never complain or tell him that he only beat me due to size. So I wonder why there's so much of that from smaller guys.

Thanks for the advice. My guess is that it is an ego issue with the smaller grapplers who do okay when grappliny amongst themselves but then are unable to amount anything against bigger guys.

I'm by no means a giant myself. And everytime I get paired off with a 6'5 290lbs monsters in randori or competiton, I never complain or tell him that he only beat me due to size. So I wonder why there's so much of that from smaller guys.

How big are you?

You gotta go as hard as you need to to defend yourself. Doesn't mean power bombing a 100lb kid, but if someone smaller wants to roll like it's the finals of Mundials, then you need to defend yourself. As an example, in my last academy, we had a female brown belt that weighed abut 125. We rolled hard, but if I got in for a lift, I would set her down easily and continue rolling. Never want to hurt your partners.

There is a guy who I always spar, he's smaller and is 2 strip higher than me.

He goes hard while I just stayed guard to control my stamina, I didn't wanna go 100% and when I did try to submit him with little effort by holding his tiny wrist tightly, he won't tap and resist aggressively so I just let him go to avoid getting him injured and it's not a competititon so I think of another technique.

Whenever he tried to submit me, I just fold him or roll him over with no effort.

Love sparring with smaller guys, it improved my technique a lot. There's benefits to it.

Last edited:
Being able to train down to -90kg with a 3 month camp I always take it easy on smaller guys.

WTF! I don't want to hurt people in Randori.

Not sure how reliable your coach is if he's telling you to go 100% on dude's you can easily wreck.

That's not cool!

Even training with equal weight class I have the 10 year old surgeries to show for how fast and easy it is to get fucked up and be off the mat for 6 months.

It would be interesting what your clubs injury rate is with that kind of leadership!

No question, the equal and heavier guys train your ass off!

We use to travel all around the NE area to competition train with similar weight classes. Plus built up a great group of dude's and friends to go all out with safely.

This ain't shuffle board!

How big are you?

Not tall at all. I'm 5'10, but I'm a big fat 270lb powerlifter, but plan on dropping that activity since it destroys your joints and back, and will drop down to a healthier weight and do some regular strength training instead of the over board powerlifting stuff.

You could always ask them if they plan on using their full speed / and or flexibility.

In all seriousness- you have to have your BJJ make sense for your body attributes. Now- my recommendation would be that you always start in guard against little guys, and work your bottom game. Experiment with different things you might not normally do.

But if they are going all out, you do have to keep yourself safe. It may mean putting pressure- but perhaps not the "full presh".

If they are being dicks- feel free to point out that the proper application of pressure is a technique.

Not tall at all. I'm 5'10, but I'm a big fat 270lb powerlifter, but plan on dropping that activity since it destroys your joints and back, and will drop down to a healthier weight and do some regular strength training instead of the over board powerlifting stuff.

So your build like a tank, your body type is a hell to grapple against, no wonder little dudes complain, is not your fault, but if you are 270 pounds, you shouldn’t go 100% on guys who weight less than 180 pounds and are not at least purple...

Even with a slight size advantage you get those comments, I'm 5'10 190 and the 5'9 175 guy will ask, ''hey how much you weight'' after I finish a choke.

Like yeah dude, I used all my 15 pounds over you to take your back and strangle you, you can go and sleep well tonight there's nothing for you to improve, there's just bigger guys taking advantage of you.

With the size difference you only have to be worried about dropping your weight quickly on someone, there definitely is danger there for the lil fellas. As far as smashing goes though let them feel your pressure, it will make their jiu jitsu better.

And maybe be nice when stacking them, you don't want to hurt anyone's neck.

If how you train it's good for your coach, then I'd say you're fine.

Being a let's say, not big guy myself (1,77 x 72-73 kgs, lost like ten in 6 months) I'll never understand people complaining about others "strength".. I mean, what the stronger guy should do? Not using his attributes so you feel better about being technically not good enough to beat him? Come on.. I can understand a smaller, newish guy against a blue or purple behemoth who dominates him 100% of the roll with sheer strength or similar scenarios.. then yes, the bigger guy is an asshole.. otherwise, if you are vaguely decent, or even worse competitive or anywhere good, and you still cry about the bigger guy's strength, it just become an ego issue of the worst..

Even with a slight size advantage you get those comments, I'm 5'10 190 and the 5'9 175 guy will ask, ''hey how much you weight'' after I finish a choke.

Like yeah dude, I used all my 15 pounds over you to take your back and strangle you, you can go and sleep well tonight there's nothing for you to improve, there's just bigger guys taking advantage of you.

I sometimes ask people their weight not as a putdown, but just as a barometer for myself to know where I stand.

So your build like a tank, your body type is a hell to grapple against, no wonder little dudes complain, is not your fault, but if you are 270 pounds, you shouldn’t go 100% on guys who weight less than 180 pounds and are not at least purple...

I think he can go a 100% while he's trying to get a position or to get out of position.

When I roll with big guys, I'm okay if I get stuck under them, if they sweep / reverse me with their power or if they defend submissions with all their strenght.

I just don't want to get my knee destroyed or to land on my neck when they try a takedown. This doesn't mean they can't try a takedown, it's just to tone it down a bit so nobody gets hurt.

Same thing when they get into a submission. When you're 60 pounds heavier than the other guy and you managed to isolate an arm and you have a kimura grip... Just let him time to tap, he's not going anywhere, there's no need to crank it. Just put some pressure, if he's too dumb to tap you crank a little more. But you got to understand that with your leverage and size, some normal submissions can really hurt people.

I had a strange conversation last week about a small guy who have crazy strong arms. He's like 5'7 175LBs with very big arms. He's one of the toughest guy when he's on top. Always a good shoulder pressure and it's very tough to push him off

Some guys, bigger than him (180-185LBS) , were complaining that he uses his strenght too much and that he's not technical. I answered that they don't understand his style. The guy is always moving from knee on the belly, to north south, to mount, to side control... Always with good pressure. You can't move that much without giving out holes for people to escape if you're not technical. He always has the underhook, he's always putting pressure with his chest so you won't use you're hand to get an underhook. When you try an escape he's always on you, getting the whizzer, trying chokes, getting you flat on your back.

Yeah the guy can lift, but it's far from being all muscles.

I think that the ''grinder'' style of BJJ is not appreciated enough

Big guys who apply a lot of top pressure are not that dangerous. It's squashing, but it's not dangerous.

Explosive movements, throwing, pushing, yanking and weird entanglement are more dangerous IMHO.

I think in a hobby environment even up to 50lbs are not that relevant but fitness level.

When I did train ground / throws I always tried to mimikry the strenght of my opponent or even less so I would be forced to play technical and learn something. After all thats what its about. Only rule has to be no one goes 100% and explodes into submissions / throws.

The key to me learning was always stay as relaxed as possible and only use necessary force. The same with rock climbing.

So I dont really get why your coach wants you to use all the strenght. Its detrimental in learning against weaker opponents.

As the stronger one dont show off, and as the weaker/ lighter one dont use weight / strenght as an excuse.

Back