Big Brother: Police Commission approves controversial year-long test of drones by LAPD

B

BruceLeeOnTRT

The Police Commission on Tuesday approved a year-long test of drones by theLAPD, allowing the police department to become the largest in the nation to try using the controversial devices.

The 3-1 vote was met by jeers from dozens of people who crowded the Police Commission’s meeting room, many of whom repeatedly urged the civilian oversight panel to reject the proposal.

“Shame on you!” some shouted. “Shame on you!”

That frustration spilled outside the LAPD’s downtown headquarters as protesters settled in the middle of 1st and Main streets, chanting and holding signs as they denounced the decision. Officers ultimately led four people away in handcuffs.

But many residents have said they’re still wary.

Dozens of people spoke out against LAPD drones during four community meetings held in late August. When the LAPD solicited written feedback, only 97 of the 1,675 emails it received had encouraged the department to move forward with the program, according to an assistant chief.

Some groups have amplified their opposition in the days leading up to the Police Commission’s vote. The Stop LAPD Spying Coalition — which protested the LAPD’s first look at drones in 2014 and the Sheriff’s Department’s use of them now — sent commissioners a letter Monday demanding that they vote down the drones.

“The people of Los Angeles have spoken,” the letter read. “Now the responsibility to uphold the peoples’ trust lies with you, the civilian Board of Police Commissioners.”

The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California said it too opposes the use of drones by the LAPD, writing in its own letter to the commission that the proposed program “poses serious risks to the privacy and civil rights of Los Angeles residents.”

Melanie Ochoa, a staff attorney at the ACLU, said concern over “mission creep” — the idea that police will steadily, quietly expand use of the devices — is one of the most significant concerns. Although the LAPD’s proposed policy outlines circumstances when drones could be flown, she said, “there’s nothing that stops this list from being expanded.”

“Beyond just what’s in the policy today, it’s also a question of what’s in the policy tomorrow,” she said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-drones-20171017-story.html

---

First stingrays, now drone surveillance. How soon until they weaponize these under the guise of protecting officer lives?

giphy.gif

Yay!!!

Will warrants still be needed?

Or, will they give notifications ahead of time like they do for booze stops on the highway? (Attention all, we will be flying drones between Elm, Rockway, and 3rd ave tomorrow between 12:00pm and 6:00pm.)

They already have 50 helicopters all day every day patrolling LA now they want to fly drones around spying in peoples backyards

To play devils advocate here,

Isn't this a fix for what people have been protesting about? If cops are out targeting young black males, wouldn't these drones catch this behavior on camera, therefore providing evidence of said mistreatment?

If you're gonna violate my rights, at least do it in an entertaining fashion.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Los Angeles - run by leftists, for leftists, with leftism.

Just fyi this LA chief of police was elected by the leftist mayor (who is hispanic).

But somehow this is the right wing white establishments fault.

Last edited:
Did anyone even read the article?

"Johnson was joined by two other commissioners — Sandra Figueroa-Villa and President Steve Soboroff — who said they believed the policy offered strict limitations and enough oversight to allow the one-year test to proceed.

Under those rules, only SWAT officers will be allowed to fly drones during a handful of specific, high-risk situations. They can also be used during search and rescue operations, or when looking for armed suspects who have “superior firepower,” an “extraordinary tactical advantage” or who are suspected of shooting at an officer.

Each flight must be approved by a high-ranking officer. Any request to fly a drone — whether approved or not — will be documented and reviewed. The Police Commission will also receive quarterly reports that will be made public.

At the end of the yearlong program, commissioners will review how the drones were used and decide whether to continue."

If this doesn't stop criminals then I doubt a drone will either
larger.jpg

If you're gonna violate my rights, at least do it in an entertaining fashion.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Cop drone. Strap a taser on a drone and show the live feed.

Whatever keeps you safe from the consequences of your societal decisions California. Embrace the safety.

I got no problem whit this. I live at Los Angeles ,

Drones lives matter

I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate uses for them, but yeah.. Once the population gets used to the idea of police drones then they are going to keep expanding their usage parameters.

They aren't 'normalized' yet.

Eventually people will become used to seeing delivery drones (like for Amazon) flying around which will normalize them as well, so down the road it is going to become easier to push the limits.

I got no problem whit this. I live at Los Angeles ,
you live "at" los angeles huh... is english not your first language? probably a good place for you to live then.

Once the population gets used to the idea of police drones then they are going to keep expanding their usage parameters.
that part.

Back