Beyond Burpees Bodyweight culture is still doing it.

I don't like BW culture much because they seem myopic in their "bodyweight is greater than weight lifting" mentality, but I can get behind this video. There's a ton of good conditioning Ideas in there, which is where this belongs: conditioning forum, not strength and power. Take almost any of those and tabata the hell out of them for a quick way to kill yourself.

They present themselves like some kind of cult. Picture them on their Waco compound reciting Matt Furey chapter and verse and singing songs about the glory of chin ups, and to ever pick an object up is a sin punishable by death.

The jump over burpee seems like it could be turned into an amazing footwork + sprawl drill with a little bit of modification.

BWC < Participating in a HS wrestling practice. But I'm sure BWC makes a really cool t-shirt.

your HS didn't have t-shirts? Sucks for you.

*Dons HS t-shirt despite having graduated 5 years ago*

LOL

Urban's 10,000 post! Is that a Shido belt?

My HS didn't have shirts, we wore roadkill. That's how we do it in Missouri.

I like their ideas, but, as Urban said, I don't like how they say it is better than weight lifting.

These look like good exercises for me to recommend to my 11 year old Little Brother. He's too young to lift weights.

deadlyshaolin said:
These look like good exercises for me to recommend to my 11 year old Little Brother. He's too young to lift weights.
no he isn't.

A lot of those look really gimmicky... they aren't fluid at all, which makes me think that they just tried to figure out a bunch of different ways to make something that kinda looks like a burpee and then taped it right away.

While those exercises look tough, they're more elaborate squat thrusts than burpees. I've always been under the impression that a burpee finishes with a jump.

I thought burpees was nothing but a squat thrust with a jump at the end of the movement. I wonder how these would make you feel if their was some added weight.

In my experience and opinion bodyweight calisthenics and cardio are waaaaay better than weight training. There are only 2 guys in my MMA gym that lift weights and i don't see it helping them. Technique and conditioning are the key!

here's the deal cruz,
99% of the people I see "lifting weights" in the gym are doing shitty exercises, no doubt, as part of a shitty routine. And 99% of those people are in denial about how bad their routine is. The weight room is plagued with people who don't squat because they jog once a week and that's good enough for their legs... or people who think isolation exercises are the key to building strength and muscle... or that lifting heavy will make them big.

Almost all bodyweight exercises are compound movements (involving flexion, extension, abduction or adduction on more than one joint) that require some level of stabilization, making a bodyweight routine PROBABLY a superior routine to what most ass clowns do in the weight room.

However, a bodyweight only routine is incomplete. There's no way to train your lower back in a compound manner involving the rest of your posterior chain. No significant method of loading the PC. The benefits of stressing the CNS with weights in excess of 80% of your one rep max are numerous and applicable across the board (improvements in speed, peak strength, power generation, coordination, etc. just to name a few).

So when people say "bodyweight is the best way to go" it really irks me, not because I don't like bodyweight exercises (I incorporate pullups, and pistols into my routine regularly), but because it's clear they have never really trained in the weight room.

So, while weight training isn't helping the two guys at your MMA gym, I'd suggest their routines suck more than the iron does. Send them to the strength and power stickies on sherdog, see what they think.

Back to the video itself, I really like the Idea of doing the tabata jump squat + pullup in the video. If you could adjust the height of the pullup bar as your vertical leap improves, that'd be ideal. A fun alternative to tabata DB thrusters to be sure.

Urban said:
here's the deal cruz,
99% of the people I see "lifting weights" in the gym are doing shitty exercises, no doubt, as part of a shitty routine. And 99% of those people are in denial about how bad their routine is. The weight room is plagued with people who don't squat because they jog once a week and that's good enough for their legs... or people who think isolation exercises are the key to building strength and muscle... or that lifting heavy will make them big.

Almost all bodyweight exercises are compound movements (involving flexion, extension, abduction or adduction on more than one joint) that require some level of stabilization, making a bodyweight routine PROBABLY a superior routine to what most ass clowns do in the weight room.

However, a bodyweight only routine is incomplete. There's no way to train your lower back in a compound manner involving the rest of your posterior chain. No significant method of loading the PC. The benefits of stressing the CNS with weights in excess of 80% of your one rep max are numerous and applicable across the board (improvements in speed, peak strength, power generation, coordination, etc. just to name a few).

So when people say "bodyweight is the best way to go" it really irks me, not because I don't like bodyweight exercises (I incorporate pullups, and pistols into my routine regularly), but because it's clear they have never really trained in the weight room.

So, while weight training isn't helping the two guys at your MMA gym, I'd suggest their routines suck more than the iron does. Send them to the strength and power stickies on sherdog, see what they think.

+1

I for one prefer bodyweight exercises simply because they're more convenient for me and I can focus more on my conditioning (which is shitty). Be that as it may, bodyweight exercises will not improve your strength nearly as quickly or as much as putting up weight. It's a plain and simlpe fact. The best exercise program takes the best exercises for whatever your goals are and uses them regardless of prejudice.

Bodyweight excercises don't give you strength?!??!!? I don't lift weights, but i've entered a couple of weight lifting tournys because i was deployed to the middle east and was bored. I didn't win first place in any event except the deadlift where i maxed at 505lbs weighing only 185lbs. I did that and had a lot of buddies questioning themselves. There are more ways to gain strength then lifting a stupid bar in an airconditioned preppy gym!!

Back