Better than Gambino's "This is America"?

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
My friend showed this to me a few nights ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I've watched it close to a dozen times, now. It came out nearly a year ago. I'm not sure what it means, I haven't been able to unpack it, and that's part of why I like it so much, because there is no mistaking that it is loaded with weighted imagery. It evokes an emotional response in me that I do not comprehend.

Race, Technology, Power, Purity, Deformity, Narcosis, Illusion, Disconnection, The Son of Man, Ghosts, Deterioration, Religion, Wealth, Materialism, East meeting West, Tribalism, Teamwork, the Individual contrasted to the Hive, Class Struggle, Colonialism, Pride, Legacy, Forgery, Hopelessness, Hope, Man as Nature, Pollution, Excess, Busby Berkeley & Hollywood, Exploitation, Irony, Meditation, the Power of the Gaze, Progress, Change, Motion, Gravity, Emptiness, History repeating itself...the semiotics are all there.

It's uncanny considering the length. Uncanny. For some strange reason I even find my mind wandering to Blade Runner.

See what you think.

Reminds me of everything that Sherdog and its members are in our isolated togetherness.
A meditation of our meaningful mindlessness, and meaningless mindfulness.

Last edited:
That albino wouldn't last a minute in Lagos.

wow pretty cool, this might be worth a look

7:04-7:17

980x.gif

His album "In Colour" is excellent. I'd get a copy if you liked this.

Watched the whole thing expecting...............I dont know...........................words at some point

I was still entertained though, so I wont -like you

Jamiexx is fucking good

Almost as bad as This is America. This beat isn't bad as This is America, and does not have gospel singers that don't fit in with the music, or shitty mumbling for lyrics. Also, thankfully this guy isn't walking around with his shirt off and holding his dick.

pretty awesome video that is actually more of a true short movie. Thx for sharing.

Did it win any awards? ti should have.

This is a fucking top track, love the video as well.

They did another video for Gosh. Although not as good as the one posted in the OP it's still really good.

Big fan of this Jamie XX tune 'NY is killing me' . He's released some excellent stuff over the years.

This one has it all. Great memories associated with it too...

Childish Gambino is a piece of shit hack who plays up the sanitized non threatening black guy role. He schtick is so carefully tailored for white people but he pretends to be so pro-black

Also, he bit the fuck out of a relatively unkown artist to make "This is America".

Fuck that guy, he's such a blatant fraud.

Gambino's track is more catchy, interesting to me (I'm a word man so the lack of lyrics in the posted video don't quite have the same impact) but this video is just as strong if not stronger.

I watched it twice and on a comment's suggestion, looked up an interview with the director that's illuminating. I'd usually prefer to let the piece explain or not explain for itself than go behind the scenes but if you're looking for more then check it out.

And as a random aside, can we get @Madmick some kind of poster of the century banner? I've been on this site for seven years and the man has been putting down thoughtful words, great links and insight the entire time. For every thirty trolling cans in the heavies with 30k+ posts we only have one Madmick.

My friend showed this to me a few nights ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I've watched it close to a dozen times, now. It came out nearly a year ago. I'm not sure what it means, I haven't been able to unpack it, and that's part of why I like it so much, because there is no mistaking that it is loaded with weighted imagery. It evokes an emotional response in me that I do not comprehend.

Race, Technology, Power, Purity, Deformity, Narcosis, Illusion, Disconnection, The Son of Man, Ghosts, Deterioration, Religion, Wealth, Materialism, East meeting West, Tribalism, Teamwork, the Individual contrasted to the Hive, Class Struggle, Colonialism, Pride, Legacy, Forgery, Hopelessness, Hope, Man as Nature, Pollution, Excess, Busby Berkeley & Hollywood, Exploitation, Irony, Meditation, the Power of the Gaze, Progress, Change, Motion, Gravity, Emptiness, History repeating itself...the semiotics are all there.

It's uncanny considering the length. Uncanny. For some strange reason I even find my mind wandering to Blade Runner.

See what you think.

Looks like you just wanted to show off your vocabulary in this OP.

Back