Better sniper Carlos "white feather" Hathcock or Chris Kyle?

canada actually has the sniper records.
Canadian-sniper-image-1.png

Last edited:
Gunny Hathcock by whatever he wants.

No disrespect to Kyle. He may have padded his record, but he was an excellent sniper and a brave man. But Hathcock was just in a different league.

The scene in Saving Private Ryan, where the US Ranger shoots the German sniper through his own scope, was inspired by Hathcock's duel with the VC sniper.

As far as I'm aware, Hathcock never made up ridiculous BS stories like Kyle. The latter never crawled through the jungle for 4 days to take someone out either.

I decided to go read up on gunny Hathcock, so I checked out his Wikipedia page. Then, I realized I had already read everything on that page, word for word, in this thread. You guys need to cite that shit if for no other reason than saving me time.

Bob lee swagger dominates them both

The write based the character of carlos,

I read I believe 3 books about Hathcock and it was badass. I am surprised they haven't made a movie about his stories

Carlos Hathcock.

carlos651.gif

I met him on 2/4/90 while he was peddling his book and got an autographed copy.

His descriptions of shooting the Nationals was helpful to me as a highpower competitor.

Plus don't forget:

Charles Benjamin "Chuck" Mawhinney (born 1949) is an Oregon-born American who served in the United States Marine Corps as a sniper during the Vietnam War. He holds the record for the most confirmed kills by a USMC sniper, having recorded 103 confirmed kills and 216 "probable kills" in his 16 months of action.[1]

Last edited:
Simo killed 700 in 100 days........without a scope.

He sniped 500 with a riflle and sniped/ambushed 200 more with a sub machine gun.

I'm pretty sure he had already fired off the shot that killed the guy who wounded him before being struck.

Last edited:
Kyle was a solid sniper, but by his own account, he was a middle-of-the-pack shooter in his sniper course. He was really good at being in the right place at he right time, making him more of a statistical improbability (but inevitably) when you are talking about the second-longest American war in a MOUT environment. I'd have to give the edge to others based on sheer skill.

Gunny Hathcock by whatever he wants.

No disrespect to Kyle. He may have padded his record, but he was an excellent sniper and a brave man. But Hathcock was just in a different league.

The scene in Saving Private Ryan, where the US Ranger shoots the German sniper through his own scope, was inspired by Hathcock's duel with the VC sniper.

Let's also consider that Hathcock has zero technical support. By that I mean no drones, no constant satellite surveillance, and if any, prehistoric night-vision gear.

The answer is Hathcock.

PLUS, Gunny Hathcock had to balls to wear a white feather in his cap....
A sniper who wore a white feather... thats balls
Didn't other soldiers in his unit also wear a white feather so the viet cong wouldn't know Hatchcock's identity? I thought I remember reading something like that.

Really? Nobody remembers their dear ol grampa Bravo-Four of Mayberry fame knows a thing or two about being a sniper?

Being a sniper in trade and having taken care what I learned in Sniper School and follow on courses, I can tell you from my point of view, it is less important to purely pay attention to numbers. Darth Hathcock or the Lightbane of East Asia as I knew him as in my classes, is a cut above the rest in terms of his kill pedigree. He has very high quality targets and that is what made him so legendary.

Chris Kyle, like most other SEALS, are known far and wide for their exploits. No better way to double down on dignity dividing is to copy John Denver and go out in glory.

Hathcock probably lied less about his own exploits than Chris Kyle did.

Didn't other soldiers in his unit also wear a white feather so the viet cong wouldn't know Hatchcock's identity? I thought I remember reading something like that.
They knew Gunny's death would mean a great victory, so they started wearing a feather to 1. Scare the enemy, 2. Draw attention away from Gunny, and 3. Incase they died, another feather appears to make him seem invinclible

Really? Nobody remembers their dear ol grampa Bravo-Four of Mayberry fame knows a thing or two about being a sniper?

Being a sniper in trade and having taken care what I learned in Sniper School and follow on courses, I can tell you from my point of view, it is less important to purely pay attention to numbers. Darth Hathcock or the Lightbane of East Asia as I knew him as in my classes, is a cut above the rest in terms of his kill pedigree. He has very high quality targets and that is what made him so legendary.

Chris Kyle, like most other SEALS, are known far and wide for their exploits. No better way to double down on dignity dividing is to copy John Denver and go out in glory.
Who were you with when you were serving as a sniper?

Chris Kyle by a long shot. He killed like 100 looters while perched on top of the Superdome after Hurricane Katrine and that's coming from Kyle himself so who are we to doubt Kyle?

Jokes aside, it's not even close. Hathcock's got Kyle by a mile and a long mile at that but like some have already mentioned, if we're talking GOAT, it's Simo Hayha.

Back