Better Season of Game of Thrones: Season 4 or Season 6

Brother Numsi

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This would seem like an easy choice given how GOT Season 4 had the Purple Wedding, Red Viper vs The Mountain, and Watchers on the Wall. That's not even counting the season finale. Plus, Storm of Swords is the best book in the franchise.

But Season 6 was great in its own right. Had three of the greatest episodes of all time (The Door, Battle of the Bastards, and The Winds of Winter). Battle of the Bastards was some of the most epic television I have ever seen.

To my GOT watchers, which was the GOAT season?

Season 6 for me

Home
The Door
The Broken Man
Battle of the bastards
Winds of winter

Really loved The Door and The Broken Man

Have to watch them again, as I might be a little too generous to Season 6 for it being such a great pallet cleanser after the awfulness that was Season 5.

4 easily. The show went downhill after season 4. Season 6 had some great fan service moments but also a lot of the stupidity that carried over into season 7.

Have to watch them again, as I might be a little too generous to Season 6 for it being such a great pallet cleanser after the awfulness that was Season 5.

Honestly, I don't think Season 5 was that bad. Two of the main problems with Season 5 is that it was based on the 4th book Feast of Crows which was the worst of all the books released and Season 4 was their best season. Season 5 had a lot going against it. But Season 5 did give us Hardhome and one the most heart breaking scenes in the shows history. I think it gets too much flack at times

I obviously loved both, but I have rewatched episodes of Season 4 multiple times. Tyrion's trial is one of my favorite episodes.
Tywin is still there.
Oberyon..

Season 6 had some great, epic moments, but Season 4 had that, plus superb acting, dialogue, and characters

Season 6...Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter were amazing...

Season 4 for sure. Season 6 has crazy good moments but way too much of annoying ass Dany. She gets to be so cringe worthy from season 5 onwards. The high sparrow arc was pretty lame too.

Honestly, I don't think Season 5 was that bad. Two of the main problems with Season 5 is that it was based on the 4th book Feast of Crows which was the worst of all the books released and Season 4 was their best season. Season 5 had a lot going against it. But Season 5 did give us Hardhome and one the most heart breaking scenes in the shows history. I think it gets too much flack at times

My problem with season 5 is similar to the problem I had with season 7. Everything felt rushed, and nothing was earned. It all felt slapped together, like they were more concerned about handing out big moments, without taking any time building up to them properly. There was tons of filler too. It just felt off. Like the B team had taken over production.

Also, of all the big battles sequences, I found Hardhome to be the worst. I didn't like the editing, and it felt kind of cheap, like a Walking Dead battle scene. I liked how it seemed to come out of nowhere and catch you off guard, but the actual filming of the sequence I didn't care much for. In comparison to the other big scale scenes anyways. Not awful, but certainly below the bar that had been set.

Tough crowd in here. Tons of filler on GoT ? LOL. Next you going to tell me this show is overrated?

My problem with season 5 is similar to the problem I had with season 7. Everything felt rushed, and nothing was earned. It all felt slapped together, like they were more concerned about handing out big moments, without taking any time building up to them properly. There was tons of filler too. It just felt off. Like the B team had taken over production.

Also, of all the big battles sequences, I found Hardhome to be the worst. I didn't like the editing, and it felt kind of cheap, like a Walking Dead battle scene. I liked how it seemed to come out of nowhere and catch you off guard, but the actual filming of the sequence I didn't care much for. In comparison to the other big scale scenes anyways. Not awful, but certainly below the bar that had been set.

Yeah, Season 5 definitely felt rushed at times but like I said, it kind of goes back to the last two books Feast For the Crows and Dance of the Dragons. They had to combine the two worst books (Dance of the Dragons was ok) into one season. And if you've read Feast for the Crows you would know Jon, Arya, Dany, and Tyrion are nowhere to be found. No way could they have left those characters out of Season 5 like they did Bran.

4 is much better overall. Season 6 only had Battle of Bastards and the Door that were better than the season 4 episodes

Season 4 started off real strong, then lost momentum towards the end. Season 4 has that beetle scene, which is one of my least favorite scenes in the Series.

I also didn't like Watchers on the Wall, it's still my least favorite out of all the battle episodes.

Season 6 had a few things I didn't like, but it ended on such a high note that my issues with it were easier to forgive. Those last two episodes were such an incredible experience.

Season 6 had great fan service but was nowhere near as consistent as season 4. Season 4 had Joffrey's death, Tywin's death, Tyrion's trial, The Mountain vs The Viper, The Watcher's on the Wall battle, The Hound and Arya travels, and Stannis and Davos arrival at the wall. Also this was probably the last season where the writing was actually good (still coming from the best book in the series). I give it up for Battle of the Bastards, The Door, and Winds of Winter. All great episodes, but Season 6 was bogged down with boring Dany storylines (Son's of the Harpy), the whole Jaime Riverrun plot (only worse Jaime plot was Dorne), the boring Arya Bravos plot, and I never liked the High Sparrow/Faith Militant plot (most people probably liked the Winds of Winter cause it finally got rid of this boring ass plot).

Season 6 had the exact same issues, only the big moments were so epic that people let it slide. What it comes down to is that the writers are running out of book material in the later seasons and they just aren't that great at telling their own story.

Is the implication that you think these are the 2 best seasons?

Is the implication that you think these are the 2 best seasons?

Perhaps. When people who are fans of the show talk about the best episodes, Seasons 4 and 6 are usually the most mentioned so I went with that.

Back