Better chance against Henry Armstrong: Mayweather or Pacquiao?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who would fare better in a boxing match against a prime Henry Armstrong? Would it be Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao? How would the fight go for each competitor? Can both modern boxers beat Armstrong?

Who would fare better in a boxing match against a prime Henry Armstrong? Would it be Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao? How would the fight go for each competitor? Can both modern boxers beat Armstrong?
Those would be pretty interesting fights. I'd think the Pacquiao fight would be more exciting and they'd be closer to the same size. I'd have to research Armstrong's weights for his bouts but in that era they had catchweight fights where one guy just had weight on the other. Instead of both meeting at the same weight somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, Armstrong's height and how he legit jumped weight classes is something to behold. At 5'5, it's hard to match him up against any boxing great. I guess that's why there are only a few fantasy match ups for this dude.

Yeah, Armstrong's height and how he legit jumped weight classes is something to behold. At 5'5, it's hard to match him up against any boxing great. I guess that's why there are only a few fantasy match ups for this dude.
There are a lot of good fantasy matchups for him, but more at LW/FW, even though he did good work at WW. He was one of the few guys that was able to be competitive giving up weight to good fighters.

Those would be pretty interesting fights. I'd think the Pacquiao fight would be more exciting and they'd be closer to the same size. I'd have to research Armstrong's weights for his bouts but in that era they had catchweight fights where one guy just had weight on the other. Instead of both meeting at the same weight somewhere in the middle.
was the smaller fighter allowed to weigh over his usual class (but less than the bigger opponent's)?

was the smaller fighter allowed to weigh over his usual class (but less than the bigger opponent's)?
1938-11-25 : Henry Armstrong 134 lbs beat Ceferino Garcia 146½ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15

1942-10-02 : Jake LaMotta 157¾ lbs lost to Sugar Ray Robinson 145 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10

Not sure if this is what you meant but these are a couple of examples of guys weighing in a weight class apart.

I think the reasoning back then was to maintain your speed and conditioning instead of bulking up. Nowadays guys cut weight to have as much of a size advantage as possible and want to drain a bigger opponent by making him cut weight.

probably mayweather due to his superior infighting skills

There are a lot of good fantasy matchups for him, but more at LW/FW, even though he did good work at WW. He was one of the few guys that was able to be competitive giving up weight to good fighters.

Yeah, I meant "fantasy matchups that are being talked about". Mostly we hear are Sugar Ray Robinson vs., Ali vs., etc.

Only time I publicly heard Armstrong being matched up fantasy-wise in forums and on cable was against Pac when he was jumping weight classes in 2009/2010

Usually, featherweights are compared against Duran, welterweights against Sugar Ray, etc.

Yeah, I meant "fantasy matchups that are being talked about". Mostly we hear are Sugar Ray Robinson vs., Ali vs., etc.

Only time I publicly heard Armstrong being matched up fantasy-wise in forums and on cable was against Pac when he was jumping weight classes in 2009/2010

Usually, featherweights are compared against Duran, welterweights against Sugar Ray, etc.
You'd have to go back to Armstrong to compare the way Pacquiao jumped weight classes so it's a natural matchup. Hank was in his prime 80 years ago so he's not usually the first guy to come to most people's minds. The footage available for him isn't high quality either. There's better footage of the guys that came up the generation after he did.

Mayweather's ability as a mover and superior infighting ability to Pacquiao would likely give him the advantage over Pacquiao as an opponent of Armstrong.

1938-11-25 : Henry Armstrong 134 lbs beat Ceferino Garcia 146½ lbs by UD in round 15 of 15

1942-10-02 : Jake LaMotta 157¾ lbs lost to Sugar Ray Robinson 145 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10

Not sure if this is what you meant but these are a couple of examples of guys weighing in a weight class apart.

I think the reasoning back then was to maintain your speed and conditioning instead of bulking up. Nowadays guys cut weight to have as much of a size advantage as possible and want to drain a bigger opponent by making him cut weight.
I was asking if the contract stipulated if the smaller boxer was constrained to his usual fighting weight and would be penalized if he went over.

To win; Floyd easy.

To watch; Pac.

To win; Floyd easy.

To watch; Pac.

you could practically set them with any "match-able" fighter and your answer would 99.999999% be the same... lol

you could practically set them with any "match-able" fighter and your answer would 99.999999% be the same... lol

JLC (who obviously gave Floyd problems but was still a good fight twice) would be boring as shit against Pac. It would look like the Clottey fight .People give Floyd no credit for interesting fights. Hatton, Gatti, Mosley, Judah (shit you can go back to Chop Chop when he caught him in clean on the temple. Floyd can give you a good fight. The opposite is a myth from people who don't watch fights

It's the same as people will shit on Pac as he's clearly lost a step

JLC (who obviously gave Floyd problems but was still a good fight twice) would be boring as shit against Pac. It would look like the Clottey fight .People give Floyd no credit for interesting fights. Hatton, Gatti, Mosley, Judah (shit you can go back to Chop Chop when he caught him in clean on the temple. Floyd can give you a good fight. The opposite is a myth from people who don't watch fights

It's the same as people will shit on Pac as he's clearly lost a step

Well in my defense I never said Floyd's fight would definitely be boring. Younger version of Floyd gave a great technical show with a balanced mix of offense and defense. But in the end I would still personally prefer watching a Pac fighting a fighter over Mayweather fighting that same fighter because Pac fights are generally more entertaining...

Back