Bethesda announcement incoming...it's Fallout 76

I hope this game fails terribly if only to get Bethesda off of this MMO bulkshit and at least try to match Rockstar’s growing mastery of open world single player games.

Since Skyrim CD Project Red and Rockstar (soon to be twice now) have upped the ante and all Bethesda has done is be nearly as lazy as Ubisoft.
to match rockstar? RDR 2 is a steaming pile of shit and for as mediocre as FO4 was I'll still take it over GTA V and RDR 2 I'm wishing I would've waited and bought this instead.

to match rockstar? RDR 2 is a steaming pile of shit and for as mediocre as FO4 was I'll still take it over GTA V and RDR 2 I'm wishing I would've waited and bought this instead.

<YeahOKJen>

I will probably skip this fallout title. The lack of NPCs in a RPG game concerns me. They could have just turned it into another battle royale.

Watched some streaming beta last night. It looked alright. I didn't think not having a story or npcs would bother me since I don't tend to get into videogames stories that much anyways but the game did seem a little bland and boring without it.

I can't believe they didn't include NPC's in this. It's understandable to not have established large factions, as the timeframe doesn't really allow societies out there, but they could have included more human quest givers in the vault. There could be Enclave bases that open their doors too, and other vaults to discover/interact with.

It would be cool to have quests that let us see the origins of Fallout 3's factions, as we're so close to DC

I like finding terminals with lore/story elements in other Fallout games, but without NPC's, I have a feeling this game will feel like it's missing purpose.

Skipping this. They really dropped the ball here. Should have made Fallout 5 instead. Single player is the only way the Wasteland is meant to be enjoyed.

What @DeadshoT said. This game is as much Fallout as Metal Gear Rising is MGS.

Played the beta for the first time today. Nothing mind-blowing, but I wasn't disappointed either. Unfortunately, none of my friends wanted to hop off RDR2, so I had to play solo. And, to my surprise, I was never attacked by another player.

Played the beta for the first time today. Nothing mind-blowing, but I wasn't disappointed either. Unfortunately, none of my friends wanted to hop off RDR2, so I had to play solo. And, to my surprise, I was never attacked by another player.

You can't really attack others unless the consent to a battle I think. Or you use some ungodly fire power. I played the BETA for the first time too and people attacking me did near to nothing,

Are you level 5? PvP is enabled at 5

Are you level 5? PvP is enabled at 5

That would explain it then lol. I think I hit level 5 right before I hopped off. No one was around me at that time either. I went straight for the Mothman Museum and got a selfie with the statue.

Looks pretty bad to me. Quite bad performance wise on top end machines, VATS looks cheaply implemented, PVP looks bad.

So many issues from the ground up as they basically took a singleplayer story based npc driven game where the shooting was terrible, got rid of the npc story based part of the game and left you in a empty lifeless map to deathmatch other players focusing on the Fallout series' terrible gunplay mechanics without the VATS. Nothing about that sounds fun to me.

Oh, and even though the games based around killing other players, your penalized for attacking others first.
DTjleGm.jpg

So this is basically just a deathmatch game now right? I mean, whats an rpg without NPCs, towns, etc.
Whats the point?
Just run around with other people and grind?

Sounds to me like they are just making a battle royal game instead of a fallout game.

Here’s the dumbest question you’ll read today.

NPC just refers to non played characters like factions, Nick valentine etc. It doesn’t refer to enemies does it?

It does. From what I've heard, if you hear gunfire you can be assured it's real-human players.
Only 24 players per game because they want that to be a rare event. It's suppose to be the first time people have emerged from the vaults, so there wouldn't be very many.

Played the two beta sessions in a group of 3 and reached level 15 on PS4. The game is fun, the map is huge, and there aren't any human NPCs so there are a shit ton of robot vendors and quest givers etc. and the humanoids are mutants or whatever. Really a non-issue for me.

The game is in a weird place because hardcore PvPers from ark, rust, MMORPGs, are looking for more opportunities to grief and the care bears are worried they gonna have to interact with real people and be forced into dealing with tards and having their precious immersion shit on.

The reality is the system puts the initiator in a disadvantage and the defender can always escape or server hop very quickly so the PvP is only consensual and from what I have read from reviews solo players are not having difficulty getting through the content.

So in conclusion the game is effectively providing opportunities for many different play styles on the same server but players are not familiar with it and many are frustrated by the new system as a result. As well as there is a major building component along with the workshops that longtime fall out players may not appreciate much.

So this is basically just a deathmatch game now right? I mean, whats an rpg without NPCs, towns, etc.
Whats the point?
Just run around with other people and grind?
Yeah, Skill Up guy pretty much confirmed my fears when I finally got more details on the game from Todd Howard.

Fear #1- I love modern Fallout games, even FO4, despite its lack of role playing/lackluster main story. I liked some of the main story though, especially learning about the institute. There were some great side quests too, and I always love the juicy lore bits. Bethesda Game Studios has near perfected their addictive gaming loop of exploration, looting, combat and crafting, with story/quests giving those elements purpose and life.

Without NPC quest givers breathing life into them, I can't imagine this not feeling like a dead world.

Fear #2 for me was performance. BGS's creation engine is notoriously sluggish, regardless of system specs. Mods could always be counted on to fix performance issues, and improve fidelity, but BGS is on their own now.

I never minded their buggy/sluggish engine, because there was always a way to overcome issues. Vats helped with spotty gunplay, and you could always use the console/mods to force an ending to quests that we were bugged out.

I think Fallout 76 is going to bomb (relatively speaking) and really hurt the franchise and BGS's reputation. They would have been better off creating a single player story while having this quasi MP/Coop element as extra/optional feature once you reached a certain level.

Let's face it, BGS success has been built on a house of cards. You can't continually remove core features that gave you your initial audience, while delivering dated mechanics for your new customers and expect the upswing to continue. I don't see how anything in Fallout 76 is good enough to make removing story/NPC's worth it.

I completely understand the concerns/doubts everyone has with this game. For me though...the ability to finally explore the irradiated wasteland with my friends is an opportunity I cant pass up.

My Fallout love is saying give it a try..

My wallet is saying no no no, not at full price.

Im completely torn on this game.

On one hand i LOVED Fallout 3,NV, and 4. So i want to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand im wary of games switching to an online model. It rarely works and when it does its a completely different game.

My example is GTA. I loved the GTA series but now its GTA online or nothing at all. The online world completely ruined the single player experience.

I hope that is not the case with Fallout 76 but when i heard there would be zero npcs it worried me. Why? Why not have towns with NPCs in them? WOW does it just fine. I dont understand the reasoning for that.

Also as buggy as the fallout series generally is, i dont see the online experience being smooth sailing.

Ill probably wait and see how its reviewed. So far it doesnt sound great.

Probably skipping this one. There are games that I like to play online (PUBG, BF, COD, etc.) and games that I like to play along, at my pace, without the outside distraction/pressure (Fall Out, Elder Scrolls, the Hunter, etc.).

My example is GTA. I loved the GTA series but now its GTA online or nothing at all. The online world completely ruined the single player experience

How'd they do that? I haven't played GTA V in a while. What did they change in single-player to accommodate online?

Its not that they changed single player so much as abandoned it. Not a single DLC for single player and GTA 6 has been postponed indefinitely because they are focused on GTA online.

How'd they do that? I haven't played GTA V in a while. What did they change in single-player to accommodate online?

Back