Beterbiev.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Didn't watch the fights Saturday. How did Beterbiev look, in your opinion?

He looked superb. Plan to watch the fight? Watch the last minute of round 12 and you're good.

It was a slow fight. German fighter wasn't pressing any action, and Beterbiev was winning on points. Until the TKO at the 12th round.

He looked OK. Both guys were waiting a bit too much.

I actually expected Beterbiev to do more honestly. He looked good and did what he needed to, but I felt he could have hit the gas a few rounds earlier.

He was up against a guy who was clearly a class or three below him who was mostly just trying to survive. He didn't do a whole lot wrong, but then again most are already of the opinion that he's an elite LHW, so it's not like his performance caused his stock to go up, either (it's not dissimilar to Jacobs against Arias).

I know it sounds like excuse making but I get the sense he was holding back at least somewhat to see how he did in the championship rounds. Before this the latest he'd been is the 7th round, I think he was testing how his power and gas tank held up into the 12th round. Koelling is ok but nothing special, I want to see him against Gvozyk or one of the other titlists.

I know it sounds like excuse making but I get the sense he was holding back at least somewhat to see how he did in the championship rounds. Before this the latest he'd been is the 7th round, I think he was testing how his power and gas tank held up into the 12th round. Koelling is ok but nothing special, I want to see him against Gvozyk or one of the other titlists.

Yeah, I think he was trying to go rounds as much as anything else, but he still did have a bit of trouble at times getting to Koelling when he shelled up (which could maybe be a sign that he needs to be a bit more diverse offensively, although, that might be reading in too much to this matchup). There are tons of quality fights to make for Beterbiev if he officially gets out from under Michel.

Yeah, I think he was trying to go rounds as much as anything else, but he still did have a bit of trouble at times getting to Koelling when he shelled up (which could maybe be a sign that he needs to be a bit more diverse offensively, although, that might be reading in too much to this matchup). There are tons of quality fights to make for Beterbiev if he officially gets out from under Michel.
I agree. Beterbiev is clearly very talented (and a physical freak: that kind of strength, power, and stamina is a rare combo), but he's not defensively super strict and his combos get a little mechanical and repetitive. I think this fight was a big learning experience. He reminds me a bit of Joshua in a way.

I hope he gets those fights, I'd love to see fights with Jack, Bivol, DeGale, Stevenson, Kov, Gvozdyk and a bunch of others.

Last edited:
He didn't look as savage as I thought he was going to be tbh

Bit of a lacklustre fight

I know that's what I saw. Holding back, letting the guy off the hook repeatedly, acting as if he had his respect in there. Koelling only has a 25% KO rate and aside from some jabs that got through he wasn't able to do anything worth noting. He didn't win a single round while Beterbiev controlled him. The only knockdowns in the fight came at the last minute of the last round of a championship bout almost exactly 30 seconds apart? This was a test run.

He kept busy but didnt pursue the ko eventhough it was there for him, he had Kolling against the ropes numerous times but let him off the hook

I honestly feel as though he tried to get in as many rounds as possible because of the lay off

I actually expected Beterbiev to do more honestly. He looked good and did what he needed to, but I felt he could have hit the gas a few rounds earlier.
Pace training

When none of your fights have gone past a certain round (in Beterbievs case the 7th) so you let a fight you know you're winning go on to the later rounds to see how you do.

beterbiev looked the most technically sound I've ever seen him. but it was boring as hell, and it was clear he could have did a lot more. he was hurting the german kid when he was punching his guard. a boring fight he's easily winning. then in round 12 he easily knocks him out.

After the fight his trainer said "you could have did that in the 4th round, why didn't you??"

I do have questions about beterbiev he is so strong on the inside, but will he never force an inside fight?? there are a couple top people at 175 that would avoid the inside as it's their weak point anyway.

Does he fight kovalev on the outside in a boring fight? if so maybe the inside is where he is a beast and he cant force it. or maybe he can.

I think 175 doesnt have a clear cut guy anymore.

Back