Best weight for my height ?

People get way too obsessed with weight class. If you ever do actually fight, just fight in the weight class you find yourself at that time.
That's if the coach allows for it. At the end of the day you are repping the gym's name. Going indy hasn't gone well with alot.

It'd be a perfect world if I could fight whenever I was at, even if I was in the midst of a bulk.

This.

As someone who's been "forced" to compete in a unnatural weight class based on my build, its not a good experience. I ended up sick, lethargic and gassed out easier.

Early on is where you find out you where you stand ideally, then maybe when you're serious about it, and decide to be more competitive at a lighter class, shoot for it.

Lets hope your coach(es) are pretty open and find a weight class where you excel rather than being to obsessed with "height advantage"

In striking, I can give you this missive.

Be the lowest weight you can while STILL being strong and having great cardio.
When the last two start to suffer, you've gone too low. Otherwise, lighten up, piggy.

And fk that noise about the "gym name" or that the coach will decide.
Boxing's a lonely sport. Nobody shares in your ass kicking once the bell rings.
Let the gym worry about its own name and you worry about yours.
At the end of the day, if you follow the above missive honestly, you know your true weight category.

Some coaches will have you drop too much n be a corpse, others will try n get you to bulk up and fight a division or two too big.
When in doubt, go natural and then drop from there.

Last edited:
In striking, I can give you this missive.

Be the lowest weight you can while STILL being strong and having great cardio.
When the last two start to suffer, you've gone too low. Otherwise, lighten up, piggy.

And fk that noise about the "gym name" or that the coach will decide.
Boxing's a lonely sport. Nobody shares in your ass kicking once the bell rings.
Let the gym worry about its own name and you worry about yours.
At the end of the day, if you follow the above missive honestly, you know your true weight category.

Some coaches will have you drop too much n be a corpse, others will try n get you to bulk up and fight a division or two too big.
When in doubt, go natural and then drop from there.

Personally I don't care about the gym name either, but the coaches will. And them thinking you'll lose because you're an inch shorter, they don't let you have the fight. The only option then is to go indy, and at that point it means you'd have to bounce. No way that goes well, going indy is akin to sneaking behind their backs.

The* best weight for your height will be a weight that you can comfortably maintain, while enjoying life.

Personally I don't care about the gym name either, but the coaches will. And them thinking you'll lose because you're an inch shorter, they don't let you have the fight. The only option then is to go indy, and at that point it means you'd have to bounce. No way that goes well, going indy is akin to sneaking behind their backs.
Or don't go to a shit gym or trainer. I've never worried about what weight I've competed at since college, and I've never once had my coach keep me from a fight because of my weight class.

HS/collegiate wrestling is a different story because there is only 1 varsity slot at each weight class, and if someone doesn't compete at each weight class then the team forfeits that match and loses points. Fighting is completely different, especially if it's an amateur bout. If you're not fighting at a high level with money on the line, worrying about the perfect weightclass is pointless.

Or don't go to a shit gym or trainer. I've never worried about what weight I've competed at since college, and I've never once had my coach keep me from a fight because of my weight class.

HS/collegiate wrestling is a different story because there is only 1 varsity slot at each weight class, and if someone doesn't compete at each weight class then the team forfeits that match and loses points. Fighting is completely different, especially if it's an amateur bout. If you're not fighting at a high level with money on the line, worrying about the perfect weightclass is pointless.
Sad-Genie-Alladin.gif

Yeah. I've had hard fights against tall guys and short guys. Best weight for you is whatever is the best weight for you to perform at. There's certainly a tendency for your body to "want" to be at a certain weight- to try and force yourself to stay at a lower weight class than you can comfortably perform at (both in the ring and while training) is less than ideal. I know I could probably get low enough to be able to fight at 62-63kg if I *had* to and if I had time to prepare for it. I'd rather stay fighting between 65-70kg though.

Back